Ian Levine's "Downtime" re-shoots -- Whatever happened?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize it had never been released on DVD. I watched a little bit of it on YouTube once-- aside from Lis Sladen and Nick Courtney, everyone is awful, and even they barely succeed in making the dialogue "work." Marc Platt can do better! I wonder how much of my perception of the flatness comes down to its pedestrian direction; you'd think they'd hired Pennant Roberts.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think it had, but then I found this. It's possible that's an unauthorized, bootleg release, much like the copy of Abducted by the Daleks I have.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't know if I should mention this, but word is out that Levine's Shada is, well, out.

Take that as you will.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The BBC isn't going to let Levine's stuff out because it's fucking embarrassing. It reinforces every bad stereotype of Doctor Who. Those Gallifrey videos are laughable and the Colin Baker animation simply defies belief.

5. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You'd think that someone who made money in the record industry would have a faint idea of what makes something marketable, but it seems not. I couldn't believe how poor that Colin Baker animation was. Truly astounding.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm quite happy with The Paul McGann Shada, personally, so, no interest in Levine's Shada.

Actually Levine's Mission to the Unknown Animation is better than the Reconstruction, and the Animation is no worse than The Official animations, I don't believe, so, that could be released

7. Emperor-Tiberius

If that were released, though, it'd have to be coupled with another release, surely. Preferably with The Daleks Master Plan.

And after watching the Paul McGann webcast, and watching the 1992 "recon" of Tom Baker's original, I have to admit that Shada really works better as a Tom Baker. Tempted to get Levine's version, to be honest.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The Shada novelisation is pretty good FWIW.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

;)

10. slipkid

slipkid Cadet Newbie

Yep, it's on Pirate Bay.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got it this morning.

The animation is worse than what you find on Southpark.

12. Emperor-Tiberius

I heartily and respectfully disagree. I found it acceptable, and certainly better than what I saw from Reign of Terror (and almost all of the other Levine projects from that trailer of his, for that matter).

13. Emperor-Tiberius

14. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I honestly think who Fandom tolerates Ian Levine because he makes them feel better about their own fanboy-ism.

"I may have just written a 500 word forum post on why The Doctor/Clara relationship is FINE but Doctor/Rose is NOT but at least I'm not as bad as Ian Levine..." etc

15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the link bud, i will enjoy watching that, never seen anything but snippets of Shada.