New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 21 2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Ian Levine's "Downtime" re-shoots -- Whatever happened?

StalwartUK wrote: View Post
Good grief, no wonder the BBC doesn't want to release his stuff.
Can you imagine the Colin Baker ones released? It'd be an insult to Loose Cannon for NOT releasing their stuff, and they've actually done an incredible job at restoring the shit out of the missing episodes for YEARS, and not gotten paid for it. Levine has some nerve that he hopes some of these warrant an official release.

Okay, Shada might have been half-decent but the rest... less said about it the better.
I thought Mission to the Unknown was OK, myself - and that one at least is out on YT, thankfully!

But yeah, Shada should've been released, and I'd argue Downtime, too - if not for the Sladen-Courtney appearences in it.... But honestly, Shada needs Tom Baker, old or not. The guy who's impersonating him is not bad, but he barely registers as the Tom Baker of the '70's.

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I can't decide what's worse-- the ones where the photos don't talk... or the ones where they do.
My favorite is the one where Peri is nearly out of proportion, and when she doesn't speak, she has that ridiculous "duh!" expression on her. Brilliant!

That said, I think the talking photos is quite worse. At least the other ones can be excused as Loose Cannon fakes, or something.

The confrontation between the Brig and the Master in Yellow Fever is hilarious.
I so agree.

Levine seems obsessed with pompous Time Lord politics.
Yeah, thats something I also noticed.

A couple of these could've been great audio dramas, though... The Sylvester McCoy ones, obviously.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Downtime is already out there, though, right? Just in Doctorless form. Based on McCoy's appearance in this version, we're better off that way.
Old July 21 2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Downtime is already out there, though, right? Just in Doctorless form. Based on McCoy's appearance in this version, we're better off that way.
Well, yes, it's on video. And there's a Missing Adventure novelization (which has an epilogue with the third Doctor -- he meets Victoria by chance and they have a conversation, only she has no idea who she's talking to).

If Levine had any sense, he (since he holds the video rights to Downtime) should have found a way to release it on DVD in its natural form five or six years ago in the wake of "School Reunion" and The Sarah Jane Adventures. Downtime, cheaply made as it was, has some good marketing hooks.

But he wants it to be "proper" Doctor Who. In this case, I don't know why he bothers.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

What...what... is the Master trying to do to the Doctor at 21.29??
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 11:24 PM   #20
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Don't you just WANT to buy that "serial" in order to find out?

LOL.

Old July 21 2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Well, yes, it's on video. And there's a Missing Adventure novelization (which has an epilogue with the third Doctor -- he meets Victoria by chance and they have a conversation, only she has no idea who she's talking to).

If Levine had any sense, he (since he holds the video rights to Downtime) should have found a way to release it on DVD in its natural form five or six years ago in the wake of "School Reunion" and The Sarah Jane Adventures. Downtime, cheaply made as it was, has some good marketing hooks.

But he wants it to be "proper" Doctor Who. In this case, I don't know why he bothers.
I didn't realize it had never been released on DVD. I watched a little bit of it on YouTube once-- aside from Lis Sladen and Nick Courtney, everyone is awful, and even they barely succeed in making the dialogue "work." Marc Platt can do better! I wonder how much of my perception of the flatness comes down to its pedestrian direction; you'd think they'd hired Pennant Roberts.
Old July 21 2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I didn't realize it had never been released on DVD.
I didn't think it had, but then I found this. It's possible that's an unauthorized, bootleg release, much like the copy of Abducted by the Daleks I have.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Don't know if I should mention this, but word is out that Levine's Shada is, well, out.

Take that as you will.

Old October 14 2013, 08:06 AM   #24
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The BBC isn't going to let Levine's stuff out because it's fucking embarrassing. It reinforces every bad stereotype of Doctor Who. Those Gallifrey videos are laughable and the Colin Baker animation simply defies belief.
Old October 16 2013, 06:25 AM   #25
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

sidious618 wrote: View Post
The BBC isn't going to let Levine's stuff out because it's fucking embarrassing. It reinforces every bad stereotype of Doctor Who. Those Gallifrey videos are laughable and the Colin Baker animation simply defies belief.
You'd think that someone who made money in the record industry would have a faint idea of what makes something marketable, but it seems not. I couldn't believe how poor that Colin Baker animation was. Truly astounding.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 12:36 PM   #26
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I'm quite happy with The Paul McGann Shada, personally, so, no interest in Levine's Shada.

Actually Levine's Mission to the Unknown Animation is better than the Reconstruction, and the Animation is no worse than The Official animations, I don't believe, so, that could be released

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:44 PM   #27
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

If that were released, though, it'd have to be coupled with another release, surely. Preferably with The Daleks Master Plan.

And after watching the Paul McGann webcast, and watching the 1992 "recon" of Tom Baker's original, I have to admit that Shada really works better as a Tom Baker. Tempted to get Levine's version, to be honest.

Old October 16 2013, 06:30 PM   #28
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Shada novelisation is pretty good FWIW.
Old October 16 2013, 06:41 PM   #29
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
If Levine had any sense,

DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 02:37 AM   #30
slipkid
Cadet

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Don't know if I should mention this, but word is out that Levine's Shada is, well, out.

Take that as you will.
Yep, it's on Pirate Bay.
slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote