February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 5 2013, 09:57 PM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Dumb blog in defense of texting while driving

B.J. wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
At any rate, I can't believe this . . . uh, person has the chutzpah to write: "We are past the point of no return on this one. There is no point in saying 'you can’t look at your phone for 30 minutes,' because that is just impossible for some people to do."
If the article writer had to do what I did last week, which was be a Scoutmaster at a summer camp with no cell service whatsoever, they'd probably be going into withdrawal by the second day!
As long as that?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:16 AM   #17
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Beat me to it! I was going to suggest two hours, max.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:42 AM   #18
Pavonis
Commodore

I would think 30 minutes, since that's the author's "magic number" in the article.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 07:02 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Guess what it's been more than 30 mins since I last chekced my mobile phone, and I don't feel any pressing need to check it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 6 2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

One commenter who was on the author's side did the whole "I bet not one of you guys complaining about this blog has never texted while driving."

Guess what? I drive nearly every day. At my old job I drove 30 minutes to and from work, Monday through Friday. Not once did I ever look down at my phone and answer a text. I've never gotten a text from somebody that was an emergency so I never felt the need to answer one.

Once when I was riding with my brother in his car, he answered a text while we were on the highway. I gave him shit about it and his defense was that he was a good driver. Well whoopdeedoo!! I'm sure everybody thinks they're a good driver until they finally get into an accident.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 10:35 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

I used to drive all over the UK for work, and I never felt a pressing need to view/respond to a text whilst driving. I would wait until I had pulled over into a service station or my destination.
Old July 7 2013, 02:27 AM   #22
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
One commenter who was on the author's side did the whole "I bet not one of you guys complaining about this blog has never texted while driving."
Man I hate it when people assume that deep down everyone else is just like themselves, but they are hiding it. I want to scream at those people, "We are not pretending to disagree with you; we simply disagree with you!"

scotpens wrote: View Post
At any rate, I can't believe this . . . uh, person has the chutzpah to write: "We are past the point of no return on this one. There is no point in saying 'you can’t look at your phone for 30 minutes,' because that is just impossible for some people to do."
It' so nice to know the author believes we can't hold people to even such minimal standards as "Look at the road while you drive."
Old July 10 2013, 05:28 AM   #23
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I like the part where one commenter congratulated him for having the balls to say what he did. Since when did you need balls to say stupid stuff? It seems to me that morons are some of the most outspoken people.

I went ahead and said as much.
Well, most morons do procreate... sadly.
Pavonis wrote: View Post
The world does not move so fast that being out-of-reach for a few minutes will lead to the end of the world, a job, or even just a friendship. If someone needs to be in constant contact during commuting, they should be using public transportation, not driving themselves around.
I completely agree with you, Pavonis.

I lost my soulmate to a distracted driver. He couldn't be bothered to stop texting long enough to see the car he ran into at a high rate of speed.

DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE
you may kill the love of someone's life.
Old July 10 2013, 09:57 AM   #24
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ You have my sympathies for your loss, Sector 7.

I went ahead and contributed some more of my classic gentle persuasion to that blog.
Sweet gods, it's like trying to reason with a lead pipe.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:21 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

^Now, now that's unfair to Lead. Lead after is all is one of the more malleable metals.
Old July 10 2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Transuranic elements may not be used where there is life.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

While I do not support texting while driving in any way, I would like to thank Apple for adding the ability to text via dictation to iPhones. It makes it slightly less dangerous.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:31 PM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Transuranic elements may not be used where there is life.
So that leaves Sapphire and Steel then?
Old July 10 2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Medium atomic weights are available.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 12:53 AM   #30
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Ahh!!!! Protect your brains, Daryl Dixon help us!