RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,571
Posts: 5,514,439
Members: 25,150
Currently online: 505
Newest member: kingkane

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 19 2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Data's Cat
Lieutenant
 
Data's Cat's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Much of the technology in Star Trek and other Sci-Fi that used to be pure fiction has already been invented or is in the process of being developed, but some things I think just aren't going to happen.

3-D technology is making huge advances, and engineers are currently working on perfecting something that resembles a holodeck, but I don't think that holo-projections will ever have a solid "feel" to them- at least not when the participants don't have sensors wired all over their bodies.

Even less believable to me are Universal Translators as presented by Star Trek. I *can* believe a device that would offer an audible computerized voice translating another language as it's being spoken, but you would still hear the speaker talking in their original language. Much like when you hear a human translator and the original speaker both talking at the same time.

But no way you're going to hear English (or whatever other language the hearer speaks), emanating from the mouth of the foreign speaker.

What technology do you believe will or won't be invented?
__________________
Just call me Spot.
Data's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Star Trek has some pretty farfetched technologies by today's standards, but I'm not going to say that any of them are impossible, but I do think many of them will work differently than has been explained in Star Trek. For instance, I think virtual reality will advance to the point where it is functionally equivalent to the holodeck, it will just work in a much different way. I think if transporters ever exist, folding space or creating a micro-wormhole would probably be a lot easier than matter/energy conversion. 3D printers will eventually be able to do everything a replicator does.

Any prediction four centuries in the future is just a stab-in-the-dark guess anyway, so I won't discount anything.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Though I think that a version that can reproduce inert material at a remote location may someday be possible, I don't think that a transporter will ever be developed that can safely transport a living being from one place to another.

I'm not sure if faster-than-light travel will ever be possible, and time travel, as portrayed in Trek, is never going to happen.

On the other hand, a lot of the advancements in medicine and clean "free" energy that we see in Trek are maybe only decades away. We already have present-day versions of the PADD, the communicator, the library-computer, Uhura's earpiece, and 3D printing is certainly the first baby-step toward the replicator.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Mario de Monti
Captain
 
Mario de Monti's Avatar
 
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

@ Datas Cat

First of all a hearty welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope youre going to enjoy it.

As to your question, there really is no technology I find unbelievable in Star Trek. Who knows what is going to be possible in 300 or 400 years, what kind of technological advances are going to be made. If you think backwards 300 or 400 years, and you could tell someone of the 16th century about our present day technology, that person would probably not believe a word youre saying. Even when they made TOS they invisioned a few technologies as "far out" and in the distant future that are already part of our daily lives less than 50 years later.

Data's Cat wrote: View Post
Even less believable to me are Universal Translators as presented by Star Trek. I *can* believe a device that would offer an audible computerized voice translating another language as it's being spoken, but you would still hear the speaker talking in their original language. Much like when you hear a human translator and the original speaker both talking at the same time.

But no way you're going to hear English (or whatever other language the hearer speaks), emanating from the mouth of the foreign speaker.
That of course is a concession being made for the benefit of the TV audiences, since everything else would be terribly distracting. In the early episodes of ENT they showed a glimpse of what it would be like, if they actually show that translation process in conversations. I for one am glad, that theyre "cheating" a little in that department

Mario
__________________
"Do you give me attitude, Spock?" - "Im expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously, Sir. To which are you referring?"
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

The one time I shook my head and went "No f--king way!" was the Voyager episode "Ashes to Ashes", where former crewman Lynsey Ballard had died, been shot into space, been recovered and resurrected by aliens and in the process turned into a member of their species. She now had a big bald purple peanut head.

She wants to be made human again, and the Doc starts on cosmetic surgery.... he gives her an injection which shrinks and reshapes her skull. An INJECTION!!!


Somehow that bothered me more than the Genesis Device, which is pure magic.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:12 PM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

The big three are warp drive, transporters, and time machines.

The rest of the unbelievable technology usually comes in one-off episodes or comes in the form of production necessity. Like, artificial gravity without a spinning ring is unlikely.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Data's Cat
Lieutenant
 
Data's Cat's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
@ Datas Cat

First of all a hearty welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope youre going to enjoy it.
Thanks for the welcome! You can call me Spot.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The one time I shook my head and went "No f--king way!" was the Voyager episode "Ashes to Ashes", where former crewman Lynsey Ballard had died, been shot into space, been recovered and resurrected by aliens and in the process turned into a member of their species. She now had a big bald purple peanut head.

She wants to be made human again, and the Doc starts on cosmetic surgery.... he gives her an injection which shrinks and reshapes her skull. An INJECTION!!!


Somehow that bothered me more than the Genesis Device, which is pure magic.
Ummm yeah, that's a little hard to believe. And what about when one species of humanoid goes under cover as another species? A quick little medical procedure and *POOF* a Bajoran becomes a Klingon, or a human becomes a Romulan. And then *POOF* they're changed back!
__________________
Just call me Spot.
Data's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Data's Cat wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
@ Datas Cat

First of all a hearty welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope youre going to enjoy it.
Thanks for the welcome! You can call me Spot.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The one time I shook my head and went "No f--king way!" was the Voyager episode "Ashes to Ashes", where former crewman Lynsey Ballard had died, been shot into space, been recovered and resurrected by aliens and in the process turned into a member of their species. She now had a big bald purple peanut head.

She wants to be made human again, and the Doc starts on cosmetic surgery.... he gives her an injection which shrinks and reshapes her skull. An INJECTION!!!


Somehow that bothered me more than the Genesis Device, which is pure magic.
Ummm yeah, that's a little hard to believe. And what about when one species of humanoid goes under cover as another species? A quick little medical procedure and *POOF* a Bajoran becomes a Klingon, or a human becomes a Romulan. And then *POOF* they're changed back!
Although totally scar-less surgery is probably going to be a medical breakthrough we will see soon in RL and superficially, such technology could allow a human to be externally sculpted to resemble a person of another race or species (and returned) making that person being able to pass even the most basic of medical inspection does seem far fetched, since even things as simple as pulse rate and blood pressure, will be off let alone doing a blood test and a dna scan.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:56 PM   #9
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Holodecks are hard for me to believe. To me, they stole that idea from the X-men's danger room. I can see recreating locations that can fit in the same space as the holodeck, maybe even water, but recreating entire cities and planets, or even people, it is hard to swallow. I think it would be easier to create a matrix-like virtual environment people plug into.

Universal translators I think will exist partially, but will have to be programmed based on known languages. Not something that uses telepathy or something, though.

Time travel: simply, I don't think it is possible to go back and forth through time, as if it were a place.



Transporters: I can see something like that working, but only see inanimate objects being able to be transported.

Warp drive: I think one day there will be some form of FTL travel, just not like Star Trek. Maybe more like BSG.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral
 
Ru ru, chu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

Most of the "impossible" Trek technology is just a bit of convenient shorthand for the viewers' benefit. Nobody really wants to see the characters obsessing over a translated language for 45 minutes, or watching somebody undergo cosmetic surgery for hours on end, etc. If all the Trek tech was made absolutely realistic, it would be boring as all get out. So it's just dramatic license, nothing more.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Ru ru, chu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:09 PM   #11
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

vulcan redshirt wrote: View Post
Data's Cat wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
@ Datas Cat

First of all a hearty welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope youre going to enjoy it.
Thanks for the welcome! You can call me Spot.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The one time I shook my head and went "No f--king way!" was the Voyager episode "Ashes to Ashes", where former crewman Lynsey Ballard had died, been shot into space, been recovered and resurrected by aliens and in the process turned into a member of their species. She now had a big bald purple peanut head.

She wants to be made human again, and the Doc starts on cosmetic surgery.... he gives her an injection which shrinks and reshapes her skull. An INJECTION!!!


Somehow that bothered me more than the Genesis Device, which is pure magic.
Ummm yeah, that's a little hard to believe. And what about when one species of humanoid goes under cover as another species? A quick little medical procedure and *POOF* a Bajoran becomes a Klingon, or a human becomes a Romulan. And then *POOF* they're changed back!
Although totally scar-less surgery is probably going to be a medical breakthrough we will see soon in RL and superficially, such technology could allow a human to be externally sculpted to resemble a person of another race or species (and returned) making that person being able to pass even the most basic of medical inspection does seem far fetched, since even things as simple as pulse rate and blood pressure, will be off let alone doing a blood test and a dna scan.
Then I guess it's a good thing that any time someone has been medically examined on the show that their disguise has been seen through.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:37 PM   #12
alexianyc
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

The transporter. At least in the sense of breaking down a human body and reassembling it.
alexianyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

I never say never, and the period of Trek is 200 + years away so looking back to where we were 200 years AGO, almost everything we take for granted now would have been unimaginable back then. Hell, a lot of the stuff that has been developed just since TOS first aired is pretty incredible. All that said, I suspect transporting living objects and warp drive will be the last things to be developed from Trek. Time travel is just a fantasy that I don't think that will ever happen.
__________________
Give each other $10, put it on Underhill.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

vulcan redshirt wrote: View Post
Data's Cat wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
@ Datas Cat

First of all a hearty welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope youre going to enjoy it.
Thanks for the welcome! You can call me Spot.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The one time I shook my head and went "No f--king way!" was the Voyager episode "Ashes to Ashes", where former crewman Lynsey Ballard had died, been shot into space, been recovered and resurrected by aliens and in the process turned into a member of their species. She now had a big bald purple peanut head.

She wants to be made human again, and the Doc starts on cosmetic surgery.... he gives her an injection which shrinks and reshapes her skull. An INJECTION!!!


Somehow that bothered me more than the Genesis Device, which is pure magic.
Ummm yeah, that's a little hard to believe. And what about when one species of humanoid goes under cover as another species? A quick little medical procedure and *POOF* a Bajoran becomes a Klingon, or a human becomes a Romulan. And then *POOF* they're changed back!
Although totally scar-less surgery is probably going to be a medical breakthrough we will see soon in RL and superficially, such technology could allow a human to be externally sculpted to resemble a person of another race or species (and returned) making that person being able to pass even the most basic of medical inspection does seem far fetched, since even things as simple as pulse rate and blood pressure, will be off let alone doing a blood test and a dna scan.
Bones, with the help of his medical tricorder, figured out that Arne Darvin was a Klingon in about ten seconds.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:43 PM   #15
LobsterAfternoon
Commander
 
LobsterAfternoon's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek technology that you just can't believe

I find the tech that moves the story along, like warp drives and instant alien translation, to be more than acceptable. The one that really sticks in my craw is when the holodeck seems to have no limits. I don't have a problem with it recreating certain stuff. But when they have it doing something like the Worf promotion scene in Generations, where you have one character falling into a holographic ocean, presumably falling at least 50 ft or so, while the rest of the crew is on the ship laughing it up, it seems to pass the point of acceptance, at least for me.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.