Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 7 2013, 04:27 AM   #61
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Conversation(s) Heard After the Movie [spoilers, maybe]

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
My own guess (as much as its worth) would be that 90% of those people who rated the movie < C or those that rated it F before seeing it would not be TOS fans (worried that the movie was not faithful to TOS).
I dunno. If you check out the Facebook page for the "Phase II" fanfilms, there are a number of very angry anti-JJ TOS-only fans there. But how representative of the wider world are any groups of online fans? Perhaps not very.

And again, most fans who dislike Bad Robot's ST efforts seemed to have been down on them from the moment that JJ was announced as the new custodian of the movie franchise.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 07:28 AM   #62
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
Abrams Trek dissenters are hardcore NG era fans unhappy over the direction Trek has been taken.
Ah, they'll get to be unhappy all over again when someone remakes TNG one day!
I hope that day will never come.

Just to make one thing clear: I don't dissent nuTrek per se, it's just that STID could have been sooo much better. Especially after the whole pre-release marketing promised us a completely different film. I don't hate or dislike STID, I'm just deeply disappointed that after four years of anticipation, all we got was ... this!
Old July 7 2013, 08:49 AM   #63
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Why?

It's modern mythology. It'll get remade and remade, just like Shakespearean plays, fairy tales, fables, Norse legends, Superman, Batman, The Great Gatsby...

I'm just deeply disappointed that after four years of anticipation, all we got was ... this!
Over two hours of Star Trek fun!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 09:45 AM   #64
Oso Blanco
Commodore

It's modern mythology. It'll get remade and remade, just like Shakespearean plays, fairy tales, fables, Norse legends, Superman, Batman, The Great Gatsby...
Why can't they come up with something new? I'm really sick of all those remakes. If this trend continues, then we will never get anything original ever again ... just the same old characters and stories recycled over and over again.

Over two hours of Star Trek fun!
After four years of waiting I expected a little more than "fun" ... maybe I expected too much, thanks to that completely misleading marketing for the movie.
Old July 7 2013, 05:56 PM   #65
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Why can't they come up with something new? I'm really sick of all those remakes. If this trend continues, then we will never get anything original ever again ... just the same old characters and stories recycled over and over again.
What qualifies as "new?"

Seriously, does anybody here have that answer? Every story EVER borrows something from something else. Can something really be new?
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 06:33 PM   #66
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

After four years of waiting I expected a little more than "fun" ... maybe I expected too much, thanks to that completely misleading marketing for the movie.

After that truly atrocious official synopsis that Paramount released for STD I didn't except much. Seriously, "an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for" wtf? How exactly does one detonate a "fleet and everything it stands for". "Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction" good god. "Our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death" Not just a chess game a "chess game of life and death!" An "epic" "chess game of life and death!!" And then, "love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart" . What a mess, was that written by a 10 year old? One cliché after another. So yeah, after I read that I had pretty low expectations, but I was still disappointed when I saw Star Trek Into Darkness.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 07:14 PM   #67
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
What qualifies as "new?"
New characters would be a good start. Or what about a completely new franchise? Do we really need a new Superman/Spiderman/Batman every few years? Do we have to go through TOS/TNG/DS9/VGR all over again? What about a new crew on a new ship or station or whatever?
Old July 7 2013, 08:24 PM   #68
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Abrams Trek dissenters are hardcore NG era fans unhappy over the direction Trek has been taken.
Ah, they'll get to be unhappy all over again when someone remakes TNG one day!

Just to make one thing clear: I don't dissent nuTrek per se, it's just that STID could have been sooo much better. Especially after the whole pre-release marketing promised us a completely different film. I don't hate or dislike STID, I'm just deeply disappointed that after four years of anticipation, all we got was ... this!
My ONLY disappointment with that movie was that the starship fight seemed too short. I would have loved to see Enterprise get in a few licks against the Vengeance before Marcus disabled their weapons and shields. They totally could have done it; it only would have extended the movie by two or three minutes, but it would have been TOTALLY worth it.

What qualifies as "new?"
New characters would be a good start. Or what about a completely new franchise? Do we really need a new Superman/Spiderman/Batman every few years? Do we have to go through TOS/TNG/DS9/VGR all over again? What about a new crew on a new ship or station or whatever?
An early script pitched to Paramount would have involved a Starfleet officer -- one of Kirk's ancestors -- fighting in the Earth-Romulan War. I'm thinking some day we'll have to revisit that story line because it has quite a bit of potential.
Old July 7 2013, 08:32 PM   #69
serenitytrek1
Commander

What qualifies as "new?"

Seriously, does anybody here have that answer? Every story EVER borrows something from something else. Can something really be new?
star trek 2009 was new.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 09:31 PM   #70
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^I thought it was a scene-for-scene rip off of Star Wars/Starship Troopers/Wrath of Khan/Nemesis (depending on the time of month) and the most evil thing in the history of the universe (up until Into Darkness, of course) and spawned from the diseased loins of Jar Jar "Antichrist" Abrams?

Thats what people on Youtube tell me.
Old July 7 2013, 10:02 PM   #71
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
An early script pitched to Paramount would have involved a Starfleet officer -- one of Kirk's ancestors -- fighting in the Earth-Romulan War. I'm thinking some day we'll have to revisit that story line because it has quite a bit of potential.
That was Star Trek: The Beginning, the project Paramount had Rick Berman chasing his tail with while they waited for his contract to expire. Written by Eric Jenderssen.

It'll be a cold day in Hell when that gets made.
Old July 7 2013, 10:16 PM   #72
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Bizarrely, I think they referenced the ST: B story in the 2009 movie when we learn that George Kirk's father was named Tiberius. Tiberius Chase was the name of the ST: B hero, an anscestor of James Kirk, in love with an admiral's daughter who lives in Iowa.
Old July 7 2013, 10:55 PM   #73
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
That was Star Trek: The Beginning, the project Paramount had Rick Berman chasing his tail with while they waited for his contract to expire. Written by Eric Jenderssen.

Well, global climate change has been accelerating for a while now...
Old July 8 2013, 03:10 AM   #74
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I just wonder why some people seem desperate for this movie to be considered a failure?
For the same reason that other fans have to attack and/or dismiss any criticism of it.
Case in point:
Someone here once suggested a logical possibility imo, (paraphrased) Abrams Trek dissenters are hardcore NG era fans unhappy over the direction Trek has been taken.

Perhaps they hope griping will sway enough people to sign their inevitable petition to 'return to the prime universe'
See, this is what I'm talking about. A convenient way to casually dismiss critics without actually addressing any of the criticisms. It can't possibly be that there's anything wrong with the movies.

I don't get why any fan would wish failure on the Abrams Trek movies. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Pretty easy. It's equally absurd the length many fans go to to psychologically reassure themselves that there's nothing at all wrong with the movies, therefore there must be something wrong with the critics.

I used to be just as critical of everything Abrams did (it would literally send my blood pressure through the roof). Then I realized something, I was no longer having fun watching Star Trek. I had to re-evaluate why I was watching and if I wanted to keep watching going forward.

So I went back and started rewatching the various shows and realized that Abrams and Company weren't as far afield as I was convinced they were and damn the first movie was a fun ride (though flawed). I am able to enjoy each iteration for what it tried to be and what it is.

I'm a "Born-again Trekkie"!
Even before the Abrams film, I realized Trek wasn't anywhere near as good as I remembered it. When I was a kid, I thought TOS and TNG were the epitome of science fiction. When I grew up and finally read some actual good science fiction, I discovered just how piss-poor most of Star Trek was. That isn't to say it can't be good. I'd like to see someone take Star Trek and turn it into something good one day.

And thank God for that.
Old July 8 2013, 03:19 AM   #75
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Why?

Star Trek will be continually rebooted, yes, but not the spinoffs. I mean, Sherlock Holmes will continue to be remade, but the spinoff animated series, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century is unlikely to be rebooted anytime soon. TNG, and all of Berman-Trek for that matter, had its day, but that day is over.