Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 24 2014, 01:58 AM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Rare 1950-60s scifi movies

We've had a few threads like this, but it's rare that there is a movie I haven't seen, either when I was a kid or more recently. So to my surprise someone brought up this movie on a technology website and I've never seen it!! Riders to the Star 1954. It's probably a hard movie to recommend, except to dedicated scifi fans, but if you've seen The George Pal space movies, you can understand the style of it. It's not just intended to be realistic, it's almost a documentary! The movie can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SLTpEZOBQ It is also available on Amazon in a collection of 50 science fiction movies.

More info from TCM: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...s-to-the-Stars

...and Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riders_to_the_Stars
Old February 24 2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Rare 1950-60s scifi movies

Oh yeah, I liked Riders to the Stars. An intriguing look at a plausible-at-the-time conjecture about the first manned spaceflight.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 03:26 AM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Time Travelers from 1964. Gotta love that ending.

Old February 24 2014, 03:39 PM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Time Travelers from 1964. Gotta love that ending.

Ive seen it! There's also an even cheaper remake of it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journe...Center_of_Time
Old February 24 2014, 03:42 PM   #5
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I liked Riders to the Stars. An intriguing look at a plausible-at-the-time conjecture about the first manned spaceflight.
Other reasons to recommend it:

Unlike almost all scifi movies of the time, not only is the woman smart, capable and attractive, she doesn't immediatly lose any of these qualities when she falls in love with the "hero"!

My wife watched it with me (the same wife who doesn't watch anything made before 1995..partially because of male attitudes towards women in movies) and she lasted through the entire thing, and only laughed at the wobbly rockets. Well ok, it's not perfect..
Old February 25 2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I saw Journey to the Center of Time as a kid and loved it despite the cheese, didn't know it was a remake!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 05:19 AM   #7
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I saw Journey to the Center of Time as a kid and loved it despite the cheese, didn't know it was a remake!
Which one? In the 70s I grew up with the 1959 Version (And there seem to have been 3 or 4 versions since then)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 05:40 AM   #8
scotpens
Vice Admiral

One of my favorite low-budget (and I mean very low-budget) sci-fi movies of the '60s is Creation of the Humanoids. If you can get past the talky script, cardboard sets and obvious racial allegory (robots are disparagingly called "clickers"), it's actually an intelligent film with worthwhile ideas. It's one of the first SF films about robots and artificial intelligence to ponder the question: What does it mean to be human?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Which one? In the 70s I grew up with the 1959 Version (And there seem to have been 3 or 4 versions since then)
You're thinking of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Old February 25 2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
One of my favorite low-budget (and I mean very low-budget) sci-fi movies of the '60s is Creation of the Humanoids. If you can get past the talky script, cardboard sets and obvious racial allegory (robots are disparagingly called "clickers"), it's actually an intelligent film with worthwhile ideas. It's one of the first SF films about robots and artificial intelligence to ponder the question: What does it mean to be human?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
You're thinking of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Oh, Time

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Creation of the Humanoids
I saw that at least once on TV back in the 60s. Odd little film, at least when I was in high school.

A few of the obscure sci-fi films I remember watching were the original Invaders from Mars (1953), Kronos (1957), with a huge machine from outer space stomping around on Earth; The Monolith Monsters (1957), with a meteorite that expands when exposed to water, threatening the planet; and the totally bizarre Invasion of the Saucer Men (again 1957), featuring a very young Frank Gorshin.

I think I sought all these out during the 60s (including Creation of the Humanoids) because they'd been covered in Famous Monsters of Filmland by Forrest J. Ackerman, who may have been in some of them.
Old February 25 2014, 03:51 PM   #11
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The Monolith Monsters, Kronos and The Magnetic Monster (1953) all have a similar premise: a menace that's neither man nor beast nor alien, but a mindless thing that just keeps growing . . . and growing . . . and growing.

For sheer cheesy fun, you can't beat Richard Cunha's bargain-basement 1958 epic Missile to the Moon (a semi-remake of Cat-Women of the Moon starring Sonny Tufts). Dig those crazy rock monsters!

Melakon wrote: View Post
I think I sought all these out during the 60s (including Creation of the Humanoids) because they'd been covered in Famous Monsters of Filmland by Forrest J. Ackerman, who may have been in some of them.
Forry had a small role in The Time Travelers (1964), referenced upthread. The picture is also notable for the appearance of Delores Wells, Playboy's Miss June 1960, and the use of stage magician's illusions to portray "futuristic" technology.
Old February 25 2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

The Monolith Monsters, Kronos and The Magnetic Monster (1953) all have a similar premise: a menace that's neither man nor beast nor alien, but a mindless thing that just keeps growing . . . and growing . . . and growing.
Yeah, Magnetic is freaky. It's not about a monster at all, just a magnetic monopole that emits lethal radiation and increases in mass to the point that it endangers the Earth -- and yet the characters constantly talk about it as though it were a living, even sentient enemy. When it's stolen at the start of the film, the characters talk about it not in terms of tracking down the thieves of a stolen substance (although that's exactly what they do) but in terms of tracking down a dangerous entity on the loose. It's completely bizarre. I figure that some producer looked at this script that was about a scientific peril and thought, "This isn't marketable enough, it needs to be more monstery," so they changed the title and tweaked a few lines to make it sound like a monster movie even though it very, very much was not.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 10:23 PM   #13
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Maybe he thought "monopole" was another word for "monster."

Ignorance is a dangerous thing....
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 11:30 PM   #14
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Japan had some fun stuff with 'The H-Man' and 'The Human Vapor', mobsters, night clubs, and mutants, cool stuff. 'The Secret of the Telegion' is a fun police chasing a murderer film. The murderer uses a transporter to get to his victims. 'Matango' is weird mushroom fun.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 12:19 AM   #15
Spider
Dirty Old Man

The Crawling Eye. If you haven't seen it, you must. It's a completely excellent grade C schlock 50s sci-fi movie.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote