Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 4 2013, 07:21 PM   #46
Gojira
Commodore

Re: The Lone Ranger

^ I also like the updated look of the costumes in the movie and I think Depp's Tonto does look very authentic.
Old July 4 2013, 07:24 PM   #47
Gojira
Commodore

[QUOTE=Owain Taggart;8332258]
J.T.B. wrote: View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't consider him a superhero. I'd consider him more of a folk hero, similar to Zorro and the Four Musqueteers.

I always figured Zorro to be one of the first superheros too. Maybe folk hero is a more accurate term. But I do know both the Lone Ranger and Zorrow were inspirations for other superheroes.
Old July 4 2013, 08:44 PM   #48
davejames
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
^ I also like the updated look of the costumes in the movie and I think Depp's Tonto does look very authentic.
I agree it's a cool look, but actual Native Americans say it would be ridiculous (not to mention uncomfortable) for anyone to walk around wearing war paint day after day. And they think the eagle on the head is just idiotic.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 08:54 PM   #49
Gojira
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
I agree it's a cool look, but actual Native Americans say it would be ridiculous (not to mention uncomfortable) for anyone to walk around wearing war paint day after day. And they think the eagle on the head is just idiotic.
I agree. I could see a Native American back in that time period wearing things like that, and they did, for a ceremony or a ritual, but not everyday usage.

Last edited by Gojira; July 4 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 09:02 PM   #50
Agent Richard07
Admiral

It's easy to rationalize Tonto's attire if you watch the movie.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 09:45 PM   #51
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Does Tonto still ride a horse named Scout?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 09:48 PM   #52
Agent Richard07
Admiral

He gets a horse eventually, but I don't remember if its name was mentioned.

For much of the movie, they were either on foot or rode the white horse (later named Silver) together.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 10:58 PM   #53
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

They rode the white horse together
- Is that a euphemism?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 11:11 PM   #54
Maurice
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I agree. I could see a Native American back in that time period wearing things like that, and they did, for a ceremony or a ritual, but not everyday usage.
I believe in the painting, the crow is flying behind the man, not part of his headdress.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 01:06 AM   #55
Aldo
Admiral

Lol, I guess I wasn't paying very good attention to all the ads. But until this conversation I never realized he had an eagle on his head!
Old July 5 2013, 01:30 AM   #56
The Wormhole
Admiral

You know, I actually enjoyed the movie. I thought as a reboot it was kind of clever in the way it acknowledged the original. In the movie's world, this is the tale of the real Lone Ranger while the Lone Ranger series we're all familiar with is a dramatization based on the real Ranger. At least that's how I interpreted it. That makes it easier for me to accept the changes they made, and to be honest it's a better way to reboot but leave a connection to the original than Abrams Trek going all alternate timeline with visits from Nimoy Spock.

The highlight of the movie was the final battle, especially the fact that they had the Lone Ranger theme going through the whole thing. Seriously, I thought it was pretty cool they used the original theme in the movie itself. Most modernizations of old franchises just use the original theme in the closing credits (if that) and the movie itself only has new music.

Still, the bad reviews and the fact that my theatre only had about ten people to see it pretty much guarantee this won't be the big money-maker it has to be and yet another of Disney's attempts to start a franchise have failed. They're going to need Star Wars.
Old July 5 2013, 02:25 AM   #57
davejames
Vice Admiral

Actually the 1981 movie used the theme as well (which is probably the only memorable moment IN that movie).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 04:42 PM   #58
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Grade: C+

Too long. Took quirky.
Making John Reid a pacifist was a mistake, he had nearly no respect. Was seen as a joke. Tonto not being a skilled hunter and tracker let alone warrior also was a problem.
Basically making a western and slapping the labels TLR&Tonto on characters that clearly were not them was one of many problems.
Chop out the Old Tonto/kid sequences in '33 SanFran and that would help the runtime by about 12-15min easily.

Such a wasted opportunity.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 08:14 PM   #59
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Erm..........The Lone Ranger is SciFi? Did they change the concept so much that we're talking about it in the SciFi forum?
The Lone Ranger is considered a Superhero and this is where those movies are discussed. In the mythos of the Lone Ranger he is the great-uncle of the Green Hornet another masked crime fighting superhero with a side-kick.
Yeah, but the Green Hornet relationship was a retcon when TGH was created by Striker/Trendle. The history of the Lone Ranger up to that time was one of a western/adventure hero, but not of the fantastic, masked hero variety like other 1930s creations Batman (or The Phantom).

Even the Green Hornet was not a superhero, but a crime, post pulp hero. It was not until decades later when William Dozier's Batman TV series was linked to his GH series (and the merchandising based on it), that the latter was considered part of the superhero genre (still debatable).

The Lone Ranger was never removed from his native format, so he remains a western/adventure hero--not superhero.
Old July 5 2013, 08:45 PM   #60
Gojira
Commodore

^ Thanks for the info...I do see it differently now. Thanks.