RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,070
Posts: 5,397,886
Members: 24,732
Currently online: 554
Newest member: phurren

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 24 2014, 04:21 AM   #1
Extrocomp
Captain
 
Questions about TOS Blu-rays

I haven’t bought the TOS Blu-rays yet and I have a few questions about them.

Everyone calls the new versions of the TOS episodes “remastered versions”. Is that what how they are actually labelled in the disc menus or is there a different name for them?

I’ve heard that it’s possible to switch back and forth between the original special effects and the new special effects in the middle of the episode. Is it possible to do this during the special effect or just before the special effect or at any time? Is there any delay or is the switch instantaneous?

The 2004 TOS DVD release had a partial-color and full-color version of The Cage. Since the Blu-ray release has a remastered version of every episode, does that mean it has 4 different versions of The Cage?

Does the “Where No Fan Has Gone Before” unaired pilot episode include any dialogue that wasn’t in the broadcast version? Is it longer of shorter than the broadcast version?
__________________
May swift death come to all enemies of Extrotech!
Extrocomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 04:37 AM   #2
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
I haven’t bought the TOS Blu-rays yet and I have a few questions about them.

Everyone calls the new versions of the TOS episodes “remastered versions”. Is that what how they are actually labelled in the disc menus or is there a different name for them?

I’ve heard that it’s possible to switch back and forth between the original special effects and the new special effects in the middle of the episode. Is it possible to do this during the special effect or just before the special effect or at any time? Is there any delay or is the switch instantaneous?

The 2004 TOS DVD release had a partial-color and full-color version of The Cage. Since the Blu-ray release has a remastered version of every episode, does that mean it has 4 different versions of The Cage?

Does the “Where No Fan Has Gone Before” unaired pilot episode include any dialogue that wasn’t in the broadcast version? Is it longer of shorter than the broadcast version?
The unaired WNMHGB is slightly longer than the aired version--it has 1 line of new dialogue and a different opening narration. It has a couple of different shots during the fist-fight that are a little more brutal.

It is possible to toggle back and forth between old and new FX but there is a slight delay and if the altered shot is very short it sometimes doesn't switch in time.

After watching the episodes for the story I went back and watched them with my Blu-ray "display" button on.
My display would show when a particular scene had an alternate shot by having a "1" appear in the "angle" section (where it was normally blank when no alternate shot was present.) That would let me know exactly where a altered shot was located. Not needed of course for exterior space shots since 99.8% of those have old and new versions.
But hundreds of live action shots were altered as well.
Many I didn't notice till I used the method I just mentioned.
Example---a couple of times they added a reflection on the briefing room table top when those triangular monitors came on. Time disolve FX were smoothed, most mattes replaced, some phaser beams replaced, the "agonizer" device and the 'Booth' were enhanced, etc, etc.

Super fun to watch for every change.


The Cage contains the all-color version with new and original Fx and the B&W version with original Fx only (I think)
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
I haven’t bought the TOS Blu-rays yet and I have a few questions about them.

Everyone calls the new versions of the TOS episodes “remastered versions”. Is that what how they are actually labelled in the disc menus or is there a different name for them?
You're confused about the word "remastered." That's okay, though, because most people in this forum are as well.

On the blurays you have a choice between episodes with original FX or what is on the disc called "enhanced" FX. Both versions are remastered in HD. The remastering has nothing to do with the new FX. All of the episodes, whether they're viewed with new FX or original FX are all remastered. Nor is there any distinction between remastered and "original." The remastered episodes with the old FX are the originals -- just remastered.

The 2004 TOS DVD release had a partial-color and full-color version of The Cage. Since the Blu-ray release has a remastered version of every episode, does that mean it has 4 different versions of The Cage?
Two. Well, I guess three actually. The color version with new FX, the color version without new FX, and the original home video color/B&W version with opening Roddenberry commentary. The color version is in HD, the other one is in SD and just a transfer from the old VHS.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain
 
Start Wreck's Avatar
 
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The color version is in HD, the other one is in SD and just a transfer from the old VHS.
You sure about that? They both looked HD to me.
(Although my TV display said the hybrid version was 60Hz not 24Hz like it normally does for filmed content, so maybe it's 1080i or an upscale?)

The extended version of WNMHGB doesn't have the dirt/scratch removal done to it, but the transfer looks pretty good anyway.

Re: FX switching. I get a delay when I press the angle button, using a PS3. Often I have to rewind a bit to force it to 'jump tracks'. It's not instant, annoyingly. It's a good feature, though.
__________________
Fallen Star - My home-made sci-fi TV show
Start Wreck - My Star Trek spoof web comic
Doctor Who From The Start - A n00b does a blog
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 04:31 PM   #5
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The color version is in HD, the other one is in SD and just a transfer from the old VHS.
You sure about that? They both looked HD to me.
(Although my TV display said the hybrid version was 60Hz not 24Hz like it normally does for filmed content, so maybe it's 1080i or an upscale?)

The extended version of WNMHGB doesn't have the dirt/scratch removal done to it, but the transfer looks pretty good anyway.

Re: FX switching. I get a delay when I press the angle button, using a PS3. Often I have to rewind a bit to force it to 'jump tracks'. It's not instant, annoyingly. It's a good feature, though.
Yes the B&W version is SD, it's got Roddenbery's video taped intro with it in the same title (it's the first chapter mark) on the disc.
It may be stored as 1080i on the disc, but it's an SD source originally.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The color version is in HD, the other one is in SD and just a transfer from the old VHS.
Well, not a direct transfer from the VHS. It looks better than that. More of a direct transfer from the source the VHS tape was mastered from. The version on the DVD/BD is still better than the Laserdisc of the same print.

But yes, Standard Def.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
The extended version of WNMHGB doesn't have the dirt/scratch removal done to it, but the transfer looks pretty good anyway.
That's my favorite part of it, that it actually looks like what it is -- a transfer from a 16mm film.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:18 PM   #8
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

I bought the season 1 blu-ray, years ago; and the sound mixing was TERRIBLE. You had to turn it down so the music wouldn't blast you away; and then turn it up to hear the dialog. It was distracting, hard to watch.

Very frustrating, I wanted them as a showpiece for the show. And they're jut tough to watch because of the sound mixing.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:49 PM   #9
BeatleJWOL
Commander
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: Questions about TOS Blu-rays

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Very frustrating, I wanted them as a showpiece for the show. And they're jut tough to watch because of the sound mixing.
It's kinda true; I've always jerked my levels around to make most modern home theater mixes tolerable; if you can boost the level of your center speaker, do it; it works wonders.

My other TOS-specific solution is to listen to the mono soundtrack with the new visual effects.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.