Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 5 2013, 10:48 PM   #226
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - Peter 2:18

gods totally into slavery. what a douchebag.

or maybe it's an S&M thing and you're meant to pray to jebus while wearing a gimp mask.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:04 PM   #227
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - Peter 2:18

or maybe it's an S&M thing and you're meant to pray to jebus while wearing a gimp mask.
The Flagellants would think so.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:18 AM   #228
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

junxon wrote: View Post

This sounds like it needs to be a field trip.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:31 AM   #229
marksound
Fleet Captain

Lots and lots of hate in this thread.

And from what I've seen, not from the believers.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:39 AM   #230
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Not hate, just criticism of an illogical storyline. How is me criticising the Bible, which I regard as a work of fiction, or a god who I believe to be a myth any different from me criticising a movie or a TV show?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:54 AM   #231
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Given all the "features" of this universe, it has the feel of a prototype. I think we're the Beta-verse. After screwing around with us, he went on to create something really nifty that we'll never get to see.
Or maybe the final version is where we go when we die? I think you might've just come up with a concept of heaven that makes sense in the 21st century!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:59 AM   #232
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Given all the "features" of this universe, it has the feel of a prototype. I think we're the Beta-verse. After screwing around with us, he went on to create something really nifty that we'll never get to see.
Or maybe that's where we go when we die? I think you might've just come up with a concept of heaven that makes sense in the 21st century!
I have never come across a description of Heaven that I could endure for even 10,000 years get alone for eternity.

Though some of the afterlives in Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives were intriguing.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:06 AM   #233
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post

Hatred of what? Slavery?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Not hate, just criticism of an illogical storyline. How is me criticising the Bible, which I regard as a work of fiction, or a god who I believe to be a myth any different from me criticising a movie or a TV show?
If the Bible was a Star Trek film it would be savaged worse than Nemesis and Final Frontier combined.
Old July 6 2013, 01:12 AM   #234
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I have never come across a description of Heaven that I could endure for even 10,000 years get alone for eternity.
I suspect that, if we really do continue in some sort of conscious afterlife, it isn't in linear time, so it doesn't feel like 10,000 years or eternity.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:37 AM   #235
Pavonis
Commodore

There's no hate in this thread, just sad amusement. Creationism is a rejection of reality. How do creationists function in society if they can't accept the fact that scientific progress surrounds them? Even if creationism were right, what good is it? It makes no predictions and offers no useful explanations. We can't build better bridges or develop better pharmaceuticals with Creationism. If it doesn't work (and it doesn't), then what good is it?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:44 AM   #236
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I don't see anything that qualifies as hate.

And as has been pointed out before, just because you accept evolution that doesn't mean you're a non-believer.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:15 AM   #237
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Confirmation bias does not lend credence as evidence.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 05:59 AM   #238
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The way I see it, God greenlighted and bankrolled the project, hired the talent, got the ball rolling and went on to the next gig. He doesn't visit the set and he doesn't take personal phone calls. God is Executive Producer of the Universe.

Unless you're a big fan of hymn singing, harp playing, and telling God how great He is, I think hell would be a lot more fun.
Old July 6 2013, 06:19 AM   #239
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I've always wondered if G-d's command to not eat from the Tree of Knowledge was just a simple case of reverse psychology.
he knew the outcome either way, presumably. If he didn't want things to happen the way they did, he should have put the tree where it was safe.
I think that's the point that always gets ignored about Genesis. There are things that God never had any power over. The trees and free will.

Genesis is a tale about a tyrant trying to keep his people uneducated. God LIES about the fruits of the tree of knowledge from good and evil: he tells them they would DIE if they ate from it. The snake comes around and tells Adam and Eve that this is a lie. And they eat the fruit, and suddenly they become truly self aware, they became knowledgable. The fruit gave them free will. And they decided to stop running around naked. And when God saw them running around with clothing, he got UPSET. And punished them by exiling them. Why? Because he was afraid there were now also going to eat from the tree of life. Then they would have been JUST LIKE HIM.
He couldn't change anything about the trees, and he couldn't control free will. And that's where he got afraid and started to punish them.

If you read Genesis, it really is NOT about an all-loving, all-understanding God. He is described as a powerful, but still limited creature. That has been my interpretation ever since I read that passage for the first time.
There was nothing about the tree itself. It was a test of man's reliance on God. God just asked one thing of man and man disobeyed it. After eating of the fruit the only knowledge that man gained was the experience of evil, the experience of disobeying. Nothing else. If man had not eaten then there would be no evil, no consequences.

I've read that two of the reasons God allowed man to be tempted was to give man the choice to accept or reject Him and also He know what would happen and used it to show His infinite love. Even after we rejected Him God offered Himself to take the punishment so that man could be reconciled to God.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 06:29 AM   #240
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Infinite love doesn't leave people to suffer for eternity for the mistake of a moment. Evil might.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote