Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 17 2013, 08:31 PM   #241
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: News about early 2014 schedule

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
And now I have come across a bunch of people that like (and even prefer) Robin Curtis in the role.

I like that life can still surprise me !
Don't worry. I'm definitely in the Kirstie Alley camp!
Consider yourself the recipient of a chest-bump, bro-hug, slap on the back, hi-five or handshake - whichever you feel most comfortable with.

I'm English - don't feel you have to be all over-demonstrative.
Old September 17 2013, 08:56 PM   #242
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
And now I have come across a bunch of people that like (and even prefer) Robin Curtis in the role.

I like that life can still surprise me !
Hey, glad to oblige.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:59 PM   #243
JD
Admiral

I'm another Curtis fan. I saw The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home long before I first saw The Wrath of Kahn, so when I think Saavik Curtis pretty much automatically comes to mind.

Whose likeness did they use in the post The Final Frontier comics?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:18 PM   #244
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I'm another Curtis fan. I saw The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home long before I first saw The Wrath of Kahn, so when I think Saavik Curtis pretty much automatically comes to mind.

Whereas I saw The Wrath of Khan on opening day (twice), so Kirstie Alley will always be Saavik to me.
Old September 17 2013, 09:51 PM   #245
Christopher
Writer

Curtis's, basically. Although there were some comics that used an ambiguous design.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:57 PM   #246
Relayer1
Commodore

Whereas I saw The Wrath of Khan on opening day (twice), so Kirstie Alley will always be Saavik to me.
For exactly that reason, Kirstie Alley will always be Saavik to me too. I couldn't get used to Curtis.

I still see the character as Alley in the novels. But thin Alley...
Old September 17 2013, 10:17 PM   #247
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Due to Robin Curtis' contract, DC Comics and Pocket Books had to use her image when depicting Saavik after ST V, despite Kirstie Alley seemingly being the more popular Saavik.

Prior to ST III
, it had been Kirstie Alley's image, of course - but the artist used the two-parter Saavik storyline (in which Saavik undergoes pon farr) leading into the ST III comic adaptation to subtly alter the slant of her eyebrows. As Christopher mentioned, the Saavik who appeared in the DC Comics issues between ST III and ST IV maintained a hybrid look, and a hairstyle usually more reminiscent of Alley's Saavik.

Years later, Playmates was able to release a 5" action figure of the Kirstie Alley Saavik by promoting it "as seen in ST II", and DST also did this with their figure. (The only Curtis figure I've seen was an unlicensed ST III "garage kit" resin model.)

Of course, when IDW did their retro ST comic adaptation, they used Alley's Saavik.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:39 PM   #248
TJ Sinclair
Captain

I always have, and ever shall be, in the Kirstie Alley camp for Saavik. It's the very fact that she seems less stoicly-Vulcan that appeals to me, and makes her a more interesting character in TWOK than she was in the next two films. Though I've long since come to accept that the majority of the novels will use the Curtis portrayal as their basis. Two appearances to one, Curtis unfortunately has more canonical "weight" than Alley... which, is perhaps a bit too ironic of a pun...
Old September 18 2013, 06:48 PM   #249
Markonian
Captain

On the Saavik issue - usually I go with Alley (e.g. when I read The Sorrows of Empire and Rise Like Lions) but I actually don't find any Saavik personification better than the other.

Concerning the 5YM of TOS, I usullay skipped them until Allegiance in Exile came along. It tied into the 24th century continuity and hooked me for other 5YM stuff - which surprised me by referencing ENT (The Shocks of Adversity). I don't get every TOS book (yet), but I'm certainly looking forward to any release now.

I'm a total sucker for continuity, like "Hey, we saw that alien species before in that book/episode!"
Old September 18 2013, 10:37 PM   #250
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

To get back on topic of the 2014 schedule, two of the announced ebooks are listed on Amazon now with release dates:

Titan: Absent Enemies by John Jackson Miller for February 24th

TOS: Shadow of the Machine by Scott Harrison for October 7th
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:51 PM   #251
tomswift2002
Captain

Here's an interesting sounding book Star Trek: Light-Up Starship Enterprise by Running Press, with cover, set for a March 2014 release date:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...FYJ85wodqgoAAA
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 11:03 PM   #252
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Mage wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
It was first sighted about half a year ago, but back then nobody could really say if it is a legit book or just a glitch in Amazon's system (after all it wouldn't be the first time that they would list a ST book that never happens).

I guess with the return of more regular eBook novellas the chances that it is legit have somewhat increased, but it is still odd that this one appeared so early in the amazon listing, and as far as I'm aware it isn't listed anywhere else (?).

So until we get official word from Una, or it appears on S&S' site I'm still leaning toward glitch in the system.
Thanks for that!
So we got official word from Una in her TrekCore interview, and it is real, although the title could change:

TrekCore: Can you tell us anything about Home Again, the Next Generation story you have coming out in late 2014?

Una McCormack: I’m going to be fairly cryptic - yes, I'm writing that novel, but as for the details... Home Again will probably not even be the final title!
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 02:51 PM   #253
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I didn't mind Robin Curtis as Saavik but I always preferred Kirstie Alley's take on the character. Curtis wasn't bad, but she was a little drier and more straightforwardly Vulcan, which was less interesting to me.

Of course, it also helps that TWOK is my favorite movie of all time.

When they introduced Saavik in TWOK it seemed like they intended her to be a core member of the cast. (Which happened in the DC comics.) I wish it would have ended up that way - she played a major role in the next one (though recast), but just had a brief cameo after that. I always imagined that, had Kirstie Alley been available, Saavik would have played a more major role in subsequent movies.

The TOS movie era is my favorite era of Trek - I would love to see you try your hand at one of those, Greg. (And, bonus points if you can work in Saavik, double-bonus if you can channel Kirstie Alley's performance!)
Old September 21 2013, 03:19 PM   #254
Christopher
Writer

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
When they introduced Saavik in TWOK it seemed like they intended her to be a core member of the cast.
Yes. The idea, at least tentatively, was to gradually phase out the original, aging cast and phase in a "next generation," so to speak, of younger leads. But instead nostalgia won out, every change the movies tried to make was undone within two movies, and the TOS cast was stuck in a rut for the rest of their careers rather than having any kind of plausible career or personal advancement.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:44 PM   #255
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post

So Kirk & Co. discover a planet full of Mormons?
"Captain's Log. We have received an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Brigham Young . . . ."
Their replicators are down and they are out of Jello....
And some of them are going feral due to the lack of fry sauce...
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote