Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2013, 03:46 PM   #151
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

In the Dexter writing room ...

The official reddit Dexter site has been pretty funny this week. www.reddit.com/r/Dexter
Old September 26 2013, 09:03 PM   #152
Seven of Five
Commodore

I've caught up on the whole season in the last couple of days, and it just made me think I should have watched it all before Breaking Bad. The two just don't compare favourably at all.

What a wet fart of a final season.
Old September 26 2013, 09:20 PM   #153
davejames
Vice Admiral

BB running at the same time definitely didn't help matters, but I'm sure the season still would have been disappointing as hell regardless.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 11:50 PM   #154
Garak
Eyeliner hides the sleepless nights

Pretty weak ending, but I'm glad I have closure.

Should have stopped the show 2 seasons ago, it was pretty fucking awesome until then.
Old September 27 2013, 05:50 AM   #155
Agent Richard07
Retired

Just like discussion threads from previous seasons, this one is full of ideas and speculation that never comes to pass.

Weak season. I always thought the show would end with Dexter getting caught but this season, I hoped he wouldn't and I'm glad he didn't but the ending was still unsatisfying with Lumberjack Dex and Harrison ending up with Hannah.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I think it's more that she's marveling at the fact that he's found a way to cure himself of being a complete psychopath more than she's worried that she misdiagnosed him. At the start of the series, he really fit the definition of one. It wasn't until he had Harrison that he genuinely started to change.
I'd say it happened during his relationship with Rita.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Would't it be awesome if Masuka has always known?
With a laugh like that I know he does.

Emh wrote: View Post
This might be just me, it seems like this episode had a couple of Lost reference. When Musaka is talking his daughter, Quinn cautions him about her trying to con him and lists reasons why such as money and ends with "kidneys." I couldn't help but think of John Locke and his father. Later on, when Vogel is attacked, I swear the music that was playing in the background was the same music (and similar set-up of music casually playing, followed by a surprise) as when Juliet burned her muffins.
You're forgetting another Lost reference… A final season that leads up to an unsatisfying conclusion.

stj wrote: View Post
I haven't seen any of this season but you all must realize on some level that inventing Charlotte Rampling as Mom makes it necessary to address the issue of the real mother.

Omitting her is grossly incompetent.
I was thinking about Dex and Deb's mother too. We never saw her. I wonder why.

E-DUB wrote: View Post
BTW, Charlotte Rampling, (AKA Dr. Vogel) was a major babe back in the day.
Did a google search and damn! You weren't kidding.

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
How the fuck did he survive after heading out to see into the middle of a hurricane?
Life raft. Source

I'll rationalize it and say that the final scene with Dexter is him in hell.
I like that.

Did anyone read the faux finale spoilers that have been out for awhile? In them after Dexter slams Elway into the wall at the hospital Quinn grabs Dexter, takes him into another room telling him to get his shit together and kill Saxon. Dexter is confused and Quinn reveals he's known about Dexter being a serial killer for awhile now. Dex says he can't kill Saxon because he's lost his will to kill. Quinn tells Dexter he'll do it. Dex stays with Deb at the hospital. Quinn finds Saxon back to Saxon's hideout, straps him down and knifes him to death. Deb dies. Then Quinn helps Dexter fake his death by sending Dex's boat out to sea. After the storm passes we see Dexter with Hannah and Harrison in Argentina...fade to black and we see Quinn following someone...we then hear Quinn doing a voice over...he's now following in Dexter's footsteps.
I like that too.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
http://www.eonline.com/news/461558/c...end-the-series

"I haven't shared this with anyone," Philips told me. "And I can tell you that this is what I personally would have done should I have stayed with the show. I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did, and I had no problem with that…and I think they did a good job with the final episode. But here is what I personally would have pitched."

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.
"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.
"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."
Not bad, but if they had gone that route, I would have wanted to see him getting caught, some reactions from all the players and a court conviction.

Yoda wrote: View Post
So then his boat gets ripped in half... and also... the hurricane rips off his penis.. right? That's what happened?
That's exactly what happened. He knew he could never be with Yvonne Strahovski, so he opted for the woods.

Yoda wrote: View Post
That's quite the fuck you btw.. fake killing yourself and forcing her to raise your kid as a single mom in a foreign land... Wtf?
Agreed. I'm sure she resents having to look after his kid.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I love Batista, but my god he's the worst detective in the world. It's a wonder Miami Metro PD even has a 20% clearance rate.
Dexter got the other 80% bringing the figure to 100%.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Why did Young Indiana Jones feel it was a good idea to ride on the bus with Hannah all the way up to Daytona when he confronted her before the bus was even moving?
How did he get on the bus and sit next to her without her noticing?

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
What I really would've liked to have seen is Dexter getting caught pulling the plug on Deb, going to jail for a mercy killing.
You know, as I was watching the season, I thought it might be an interesting twist if Dexter never got caught but ended up in jail for something else.

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
So, Dexter euthanises his sister and then he fakes his death in order to become some kind of lumberjack hermit?
What do they think happened to Deb? What do they think happened to Harrison?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Can you imagine Angel and Dexter trading blows (no, you sick pervert, not like that.)
That's exactly what I thought.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:24 AM   #156
Agent Richard07
Retired

davejames wrote: View Post
I think this summed up the problems with this season perfectly:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/20/de...season-gripes/
Great article. Read it if you haven't already.

One thing that sticks out that I agree with is that Dexter gets away with a lot of things because the writing just glosses over them (for example, how does he movie bodies so easily?). And they compared this show to Breaking Bad, calling them both dark dramas, but Dexter is more of a dark comedy, so I wouldn't expect the same kinds of consequences.
Old September 27 2013, 07:23 PM   #157
billcosby
Commodore

How many bodies has Dexter moved in and out of his apartment? In broad daylight, etc. It seems no one in his building pays the least bit attention to him. I'm able to suspend disbelief pretty well for tv/movies but watching Dexter these 8 years has been an arduous exercise in allowing all of those writer's gloss-overs. In the end, straining so hard it hurts to just accept these to follow the story.

There are a couple of good laughs in davejames' link. Here's a dandy:
"Miami Metro clown college. .... First we learn that Dex successfully covered up LaGuerta’s murder last season because his bosses let him work her crime scene— even though she accused him of being a serial killer in front of the whole department shortly before she was killed."

The slew of pointless storylines by supporting characters was simply incredible. Like a slow motion bus crash, romances like Quin and Deb went no where (again) and Masuka and his daughter... WTF was that? But the most confounding issue (for me anyway) was that Dexter decided he didn't like killing anymore. Great. Explain it then. Why doesn't he like killing anymore? Did I miss this?

I love the idea that Dex would grow and eventually not want to kill. Problem is I don't follow the logic of it.

Dream ending #1:
That's something that should have been explored all season - Dexter loses interest in killing. And then the series ends with Dex killing Deb as his final kill by pulling the plug on her- before MMPD finally closes in on Dex and arrests him for the serial killer that he is. Dex confesses all - but Masuka, Quin and Baustisa slowly realize Dex only kills the worst kind of people and they support him actions after all... so they allow him to escape to Argentina or whatever.

Dream ending #2:
A better serial killer than Dex kills him.

Last edited by billcosby; September 27 2013 at 07:48 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:10 PM   #158
Agent Richard07
Retired

billcosby wrote: View Post
...Masuka and his daughter... WTF was that?
I actually liked that. I read that they wanted Masuka to finally have a meaningful relationship with a woman so they gave him a grown daughter. It was their way of giving the character closure. I thought it worked out well.

But the most confounding issue (for me anyway) was that Dexter decided he didn't like killing anymore. Great. Explain it then. Why doesn't he like killing anymore? Did I miss this?

I love the idea that Dex would grow and eventually not want to kill. Problem is I don't follow the logic of it.
I think he grew a little more empathy thanks to the "family" he had this season and the need to kill evaporated because of it.

Dream ending #2:
Like Deb? She may not be a full-on serial killer, but she was headed down that path for a while and she's the only one I can think of who's worthy enough to bring down Dexter.
Old September 27 2013, 10:56 PM   #159
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I actually liked that. I read that they wanted Masuka to finally have a meaningful relationship with a woman so they gave him a grown daughter. It was their way of giving the character closure. I thought it worked out well.
It's a perfectly fine idea... for maybe a cute toss away scene in an episode or two. But not for the extended treatment that it got here (and the same goes for the Quinn and Jamie's relationship, Quinn's promotion, and the stuff with Cassie).

It would be like if the final season of Breaking Bad devoted a bunch of time to following Skinny Pete or Badger's attempt to ask a girl out on a date or something. The entire time you'd be thinking "why the hell are we wasting time right now on this pointless storyline?!?"

Contrary to what the Dexter producers seem to think, the entire series had been slowly building up towards a tense and exciting standoff between Dexter and Miami Metro, and the moment his coworkers would finally all learn the truth about him.

It wasn't building up to the moment Dexter would quietly slink away to Argentina with his hot girlfriend, or fake his death in a hurricane without anyone ever learning his secret.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:24 AM   #160
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

^ Exactly. I don't mind Masuka's daughter as a quick plot device to give the character some growth and closure --that's a good thing. I just could have done without all the false and shallow drama of "is she after my money," "am I really the baby daddy," and "Uh oh, I've seen my daughter's tits." They spent way too much time with it when there were much more important issues and characters that needed closure, but ended up being ignored or given short shrift. The same goes with the Quinn and Jaime relationship woes, Quinn's competition for sergeant, etc. They just introduced a bunch of extraneous nonsense that went nowhere, didn't advance the characters or the story in any meaningful way, and took time and focus off what should have been important in the final season of the series.

I get that it's an ensemble cast and you want to give everyone attention, but you don't have to spread the wealth that much in the final season of the show that by all appearances was leading in a certain direction. The series is called Dexter, not Quinn or Masuka or black lady we'll never see again once she gets promoted and serves her purpose. It's okay to focus on Dexter a lot more in the final season than you would in an earlier season.

Dream ending #1:
Dex confesses all - but Masuka, Quin and Baustisa slowly realize Dex only kills the worst kind of people and they support him actions after all... so they allow him to escape to Argentina or whatever.
That would be worse than what we actually got. That means Batista (and Quinn and Masuka to a lesser extent) would be willing to overlook the framing of Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher and his death, the death of La Guerta, eight years of MMPD being thwarted in investigations by Dexter destroying evidence and obstructing justice, and a host of other crimes and betrayals. I'd rather Batista look kind of dumb and have the ignorance is bliss ending (unsatisfying though it may be) than have him be a willing participant in covering up Dex's crimes and actually being okay with them.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; September 28 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 11:03 PM   #161
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Dream ending #2:
Like Deb? She may not be a full-on serial killer, but she was headed down that path for a while and she's the only one I can think of who's worthy enough to bring down Dexter.
For a moment I thought they might be heading there with Zach. Dex does fit the code, and it seemed fitting he would be killed by a protégé following the same code. Sort of a Darth Plagueis twist.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 02:19 AM   #162
billcosby
Commodore

Masuka's daughter: cute idea, just a bit confused about the length of screentime given. I really thought they were going somewhere with the 'she needs money' angle. I get it, the part about him needing a meaningful relationship with a woman. I just thought it was going to become something profound. Instead it was like most of the characters on this show... slowly moving backwards and behind the curtain. Whatever, I shouldn't complain. This series gave us a lot of closure as compared to countless others that didn't.

Deb kills Dex: I would have totally been up for that. And no, not a halfhearted murder attempt (Deb crashes the car) because the writers needed a more dramatic transition between episodes.

Dex gets Captured:
- I figure Quin would back up Dexter fairly quickly. He's always wanted Dexter's respect and I can picture him saying, 'good for you getting those sons of bitches' etc. Quin would be in.
- Masuka would initially be against it, and would see Dexter as some kind of traitor. But then, upon reflection, he may warm up to the idea.
- Locutus of Bored raises a good point about Angel though, he might not have seen the idealistic hobby of Dexter's as valiant at all, and maybe would have been super pissed about it. And then retired because, could any of these cops go on working knowing what happened?

Maybe the writers avoided that ending because it would have been a bummer... everyone would have lost their jobs, etc. So... maybe LaGuerta finding out was the way that the writers felt effectively dealt with the idea of a captured Dexter. I don't want to rewatch the series but last season might be worth another look to see how LaGuerta pieced it together - at the time I felt dismissive of the storyline because I thought it was building to a huge exposure: I wanted to see a full season of captured Dexter! At first, Dex interrogated. Then Dex's trial. His escape from custody, his kills in the wild. I pictured him swinging through forests, killing evil jungle gang leaders (yes, he ends up traveling though time and on other planets.) What was I talking about? Oh yeah., LaGuerta. Did she have a scene where she privately confronts LaGuerta? He urges her to let it go, right? Did he show her his Dark Passenger? Sounds dirty!

Okay... I've got to stop thinking about this show for a while. It's clearly giving me brain bubbles.
I think I've decided to disregard that whole final 30 second lumberjack scene. I was enjoying the suicide ending so much more... I seem to recall my grin converting into a facepalm.

Last edited by billcosby; September 29 2013 at 02:31 AM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 01:01 PM   #163
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Wow what an utter train wreck that ending was.

When Dex sails off into the hurricane I turned to my GF and said "Ughh, what a Shitty ending and then when they show Dex Bunyan I was like face palm double Ughh what a shittier ending.

The only thing that could have possibly saved that ending that Harry is standing there with Dex as a way of showing that the dark passenger is back.

I've also never been a fan of Deb, IMO she is the most annoying character in the series, IDK how many times I wished they would just bump her off but that was a horrible death and I actually hoped she would make it.

Last edited by PKerr; September 29 2013 at 03:26 PM.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 09:55 PM   #164
publiusr
Commodore

I did too. Now it might have been nice if, after being interviewed over the death in the interrogation room, the guys had said:

"We know you've done this before, Dex. I didn't see anything, did you?"

"Nope."

"Now get out there and be happy."
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 02:56 PM   #165
Xip
Lieutenant Commander

PKerr wrote: View Post
Wow what an utter train wreck that ending was.

When Dex sails off into the hurricane I turned to my GF and said "Ughh, what a Shitty ending and then when they show Dex Bunyan I was like face palm double Ughh what a shittier ending.
Oh wow, this is exactly what me and my husband were like when the show ended.
Xip is offline   Reply With Quote