Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 29 2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

If you owned a TV station

This is a bit of a thought experiment. If you were (or are) independently wealthy, and owned an independent television station not part of a conglomerate, what type of syndicated programming would you air?

This would not include programs currently in first run on a network, only programs already in syndication. As station owner/programming manager, you might decide to include an evening or nightly newscast covering your local broadcast territory.

I'd probably be running a station heavy with sci-fi programming including Star Trek (all incarnations), Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Irwin Allen shows, Gerry Anderson series, and anything else I could find. Of course, there would be old movies as well.

My local news shows would include coverage of high school/college sports and cultural events like school plays and concerts.
Old March 30 2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: If you owned a TV station

Wheel Of Fish
Conan The Librarian
Uncle Nutsy's Clubhouse

Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 12:56 AM   #3
urbandefault
Captain

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Wheel Of Fish
Conan The Librarian
Uncle Nutsy's Clubhouse

YES!

But only if Stanley Spadowski is the janitor.
Old March 30 2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Then it get's renamed "Stanley Spadowski's Clubhouse" and ratings go through the roof.
Old March 30 2014, 04:03 AM   #5
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Am I so rich that I don't have to worry about making the network profitable? That would affect my decision.

I'd just play a lot of series I like and that I think people would enjoy watching. A lot of stuff like Star Trek, also older stuff like Hill Street Blues, Twilight Zone, etc.

Also I'd try to find some very low budget original programming. Just find some talented writers with a good idea who can't find a job and let them go crazy.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:11 AM   #6
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

^ Love the UHF references, guys.

Anyhoo, I'd probably show classic sci-fi shows (The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Lost in Space, etc), science shows (Bill Nye, Beekman's World, etc), and such. The only thing I wouldn't have would be "reality TV" shows, as I consider most of them a cancer on society. Yes, I realize this means I won't get as many viewers, but my soul will be clean.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:18 AM   #7
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Am I so rich that I don't have to worry about making the network profitable? That would affect my decision.
The premise is you're independently wealthy, it's your own station, you're not affiliated with any network, and the only people you have to answer to are the FCC. If nobody wants to advertise on your station, you don't care because you're rich.
Old March 30 2014, 04:25 AM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The premise is you're independently wealthy, it's your own station, you're not affiliated with any network, and the only people you have to answer to are the FCC. If nobody wants to advertise on your station, you don't care because you're rich.
Ok, if the station doesn't have to make any money I'd definitely focus on original programming where talented writers have creative control.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

That's what I was aiming for in the OP when I mentioned covering local high school and college cultural events, but I didn't quite have it pinned down where I wanted it. A local anthology series would be interesting, basically creating your own little studio with set designers, costumers, writers, directors, etc. drawn from local talent. Every night could be amateur night.
Old March 30 2014, 04:52 AM   #10
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

I'd be the Jim Henson network. Muppets - TV shows and movies. Fraggle Rock. Classic Sesame Street. Dark Crystal. And so on ... including original shows that showed the same irreverent, vaudevillian sensibilities that Henson and his shows did. The world needs a new Henson ... and my network would put him/her in the proper context.
Old March 30 2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

In addition to whatever other programming, I'd have one hour every night called "Shows Fox Cancelled" and run Space: Above & Beyond; Alien Nation; Tru Calling; Dollhouse; Strange Luck; etc, etc, etc,...
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
I'd be the Jim Henson network. Muppets - TV shows and movies. Fraggle Rock. Classic Sesame Street. Dark Crystal. And so on ... including original shows that showed the same irreverent, vaudevillian sensibilities that Henson and his shows did. The world needs a new Henson ... and my network would put him/her in the proper context.
I would very much watch your network.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Mine would be part Science Channel, part Discovery Channel, part G4, part Comedy Central, part AMC, and part (the late) Current TV with room for network shows like Agents of Shield, Doctor Who, and all the Star Trek reruns.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
In addition to whatever other programming, I'd have one hour every night called "Shows Fox Cancelled" and run Space: Above & Beyond; Alien Nation; Tru Calling; Dollhouse; Strange Luck; etc, etc, etc,...
You could go 24/7 with "shows Fox cancelled" and never hit a rerun.
Old March 30 2014, 05:56 PM   #15
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
If you included Farscape in that, I would watch your network.

For me, I would put on shows that haven't been in syndication in a long time, like Babylon 5, but I would try to bring back the variety show, like the Muppet show. There are some genres of TV that I wish would make a comeback, and the Variety show, Sci Fi (space based) show, and the game shows are three of those genres.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote