RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 536
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 30 2013, 05:18 AM   #1
I am not Spock
Commodore

Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring?

Riker seems a bit dickish to Ensign Ro. Worf is right there in every episode wearing his Klingon baldric. Is it because Bajor is not a Federation member, that she gets punished?
Old June 30 2013, 06:54 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring?

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Riker seems a bit dickish to Ensign Ro. Worf is right there in every episode wearing his Klingon baldric. Is it because Bajor is not a Federation member, that she gets punished?
Not to mention five minutes later, they seat her next to Troi and her catsuit at the meeting. Riker's just a jerk.
Old June 30 2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Tiberius
Commodore

Well, Kronos isn't a Federation member either, so it can't be that.

Riker was just being an ass because of Ro's history.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Anwar
Vice Admiral

She can wear the earring, Riker was just being a jackass to her.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Was he though? We never see any other Bajorans in Starfleet wearing their earring. If anything, she seems to have gotten special treatment in being allowed to wear hers later.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Charles Phipps
Commander

I took it as Riker going out of his way to be unwelcoming. Which, frankly, is religious persecution. It's also grossly hypocritical given his reason for doing so is her defying orders. Which, honestly, is laughable.
Old June 30 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I assume there are technically regulations for that stuff, it's just not enforced usually. Riker exploited the regulations to be a jack ass within his rights.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
Was he though? We never see any other Bajorans in Starfleet wearing their earring. If anything, she seems to have gotten special treatment in being allowed to wear hers later.
I believe that the regulations probably strictly mean that she can't wear it on duty, but that starship command staff have flexibilty to allow it due to cultural requirements. Picard and Riker both seem to have been completely unaware of the cultural significance of the earring, and assumed at first that it had been simple jewelry.

Riker was being a hard-ass, due to Ro's reputation and the fact she just came of the stockade.

But Riker was NOT a jerk particularly, as this would probably be the normal reaction to anyone taking someone of Ro's reputation on board,
Old June 30 2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Mojochi
Commodore

The WAY he enforced it was douchebaggery. The regs do seem to have some leeway rooted in command prerogative, given Troi & Worf & even Picard's own deviations

He shoved it in her face fairly dickishly because he disliked & disapproved of her & her being assigned there, which I guess you could call hypocritical, given what we'd learn about HIS history in being involved in a cover up of a mutiny which cost the lives of all his crew, save 2. Once they wrote that up, all Riker's pomposity seems really out of place in prior seasons, like this bit here
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you were in Riker's group, he was nice to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were male, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were female, but he didn't like you, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, but you were female and he liked you, he would try to get his dick in you.
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
If you were in Riker's group, he was nice to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were male, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were female, but he didn't like you, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, but you were female and he liked you, he would try to get his dick in you.
Pretty much the summary of William T Riker's character.
Old June 30 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
But Riker was NOT a jerk particularly, as this would probably be the normal reaction to anyone taking someone of Ro's reputation on board,
Especially since Ro's actions got eight members of her away team killed.
Old June 30 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Sran
Fleet Captain

Is the Klingon Empire part of the Federation? Apart from Riker being a jerk, it's likely because the earring violates the Starfleet dress code.

--Sran
Old June 30 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Elias Vaughn
Captain

I always thought he just assumed Ro was being rebellious in general, and he didn't actually know the earring was culturally significant.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Worf was a disciplined, respectful, officer. Ro very much was not and one strongly-worded letter away from being court martialed. One buys you some leeway, the other a cracking whip made of rules.