TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 2 2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: ABC's Happy Endings cancelled

Happy Endings? Wasn't that just Friends: The Next Generation, except with more diversity?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:43 PM   #17
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I never saw Happy Endings as Friends: The Next Generation, beyond being about a group of late-20/early 30-something people. If anything, aside from the location, I felt Happy Endings owed more to Scrubs than Friends. Aside from both using Eliza Coupe, Happy Endings did the quick-cut away that Scrubs used for a character's (usually JD's) imagination. However, Happy Endings usually did it for a flashback to what the character was talking about.

Edited to add: Looks like it's been a week for Eliza Coupe.

Happy Endings star Eliza Coupe and her husband Randall Whittinghill are to divorce.

Whittinghill – an acting coach - has filed divorce papers, claiming that they have split due to irreconcilable differences.
The divorce filing comes days after Sony Pictures confirmed it has given up its search for a new network for Happy Endings, following its cancellation by ABC.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Pavonis
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
I never saw Happy Endings as Friends: The Next Generation, beyond being about a group of late-20/early 30-something people.
What more would be needed, though? Maybe if two of the characters were married, two in an on-again/off-again relationship, and two were just friends that were really close? Would that make the parallels closer?
Old July 2 2013, 06:35 PM   #19
marksound
Fleet Captain

I took me several episodes of going "That guy looks just like Damon Wayans" before I figured out that he IS Damon Wayans ... Jr.

A sitcom that does the ensemble thing well and is consistently funny is Rules of Engagement. That's one that I came to late, and have been trying to catch up.

I just saw the one where Adam and Jen are taking ballroom dance lessons. That cracks me up every time.

http://youtu.be/8BCUnWXYYSg
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:20 PM   #20
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I never saw Happy Endings as Friends: The Next Generation, beyond being about a group of late-20/early 30-something people.
What more would be needed, though? Maybe if two of the characters were married, two in an on-again/off-again relationship, and two were just friends that were really close? Would that make the parallels closer?
In other words, 'if Happy Endings was more like Friends, it would be just like Friends', but it's not -- so it isn't.

From what I have seen, Friends is pretty much a Seinfeld clone, similar to the way "How I Met Your Mother" is a Seinfeld clone (and dozens more), with romance. "Endings" is a product of the post Seinfeld sitcom legacy too, just a somewhat different strain as has been pointed out. Call the two shows "cousins", not twins.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:52 PM   #21
Pavonis
Commodore

I guess the parallels between HE and Friends are obvious only to me and the writers of HE, who included a "shout-out" to Friends in one episode, by referencing the parallels - Dave = Ross, Alex = Rachel, Max = Fat Joey, Penny = Phoebe, Monica = Jane, and Brad = Chandler.
Old July 2 2013, 09:12 PM   #22
gblews
Rear Admiral

^^
The point I was trying to make was that both shows owe more to Seinfeld than H.E. owes to Friends. In other words, there may still have been a Happy Endings without Friends and vice versa, but neither would exist without Seinfeld. So it's kind of irrelevant that H.E. looks a little like Friends structurally -- that's only natural, since the two shows had the same parent.
Old July 2 2013, 09:28 PM   #23
Pavonis
Commodore

So Seinfeld is responsible for the fact that both shows had 6 characters, and both shows had all six characters develop parallel relationships? That's a stretch if you ask me. HE didn't need to have two characters married, two as exes, two as siblings, and two as ditzes.
Old July 2 2013, 11:26 PM   #24
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Character-wise, as in the choice of having 6 characters, two of which are married, aside, the tone of the show more matched Scrubs in my opinion than Friends.

As far as the creators of Happy Endings and their thoughts on how it is or isn't like Friends, I'll defer to David Caspe:

THR: Do you think following Modern Family and Cougar Town made sense?

Caspe: I think so. I think people see a similarity between us and Cougar Town tonally. I guess we're considered somewhat edgy of a show. I think I'm probably desensitized to that slightly. I've grown up on HBO and R-rated movies to the point where I don't really feel like we're that edgy necessarily. Our goal was to do a modern take on a Friends-type show, the same way Modern Family did a modern take on a family-type show.
THR: What are your thoughts on being compared to Friends?

Caspe: Modern Family and The Middle don't necessarily get compared to each other as much as we get compared to another Friends show. Maybe because Friends itself was so popular, any time you have people in their late twenties that are a close-knit group of friends, you end up getting compared to that. Ours starts with a wedding getting broken up. For me that was the idea of starting where romantic comedy movies end, specifically movies like The Graduate, that's what I was thinking. I didn't realize -- I haven't seen the Friends pilot in 10 years -- so I didn't even fully remember [what had happened until] someone pointed it out, that Rachel starts the show by running in in [sic] her wedding dress. Even that seemed different enough to me because it wasn't starting at the wedding, but we took a lot of heat "ripping that off." That being said, I get it, we’re always going to be compared to those shows and we’re just trying to make our own mark.
Source.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:04 AM   #25
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

I never saw Happy Endings as Friends: The Next Generation, beyond being about a group of late-20/early 30-something people. If anything, aside from the location, I felt Happy Endings owed more to Scrubs than Friends.
Happy Endings took place in "Chicago" though.

Anyways, I'll miss this show. The number of jokes they crammed into 22 minutes was crazy.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:53 PM   #26
gblews
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
So Seinfeld is responsible for the fact that both shows had 6 characters, and both shows had all six characters develop parallel relationships? That's a stretch if you ask me. HE didn't need to have two characters married, two as exes, two as siblings, and two as ditzes.
The similarity is in the structure of the show, ensemble acting concept with multiple storylines for the characters unfolding simultaneously. The "show about nothing" concept is also a Seinfeld thing -- the characters carrying on and exaggerating their reactions to relatively trivial matters to a comedic result.

Friends borrowed heavily from the basic Seinfeld (and so did H.E.) formula but added romance which was really just a superficial embellishment.

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Happy Endings took place in "Chicago" though.
I wondered where they were supposed to be. Wait, was the show shot in Chicago or was that where the show was set?
Anyways, I'll miss this show. The number of jokes they crammed into 22 minutes was crazy.
I used to have to regularly roll back the DVR to catch all of them. That cast spoke faster than any ensemble I'v ever seen or heard.