Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 17 2013, 02:14 PM   #76
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead

Pavonis wrote: View Post
And anyway, only active walkers would attack, so the sampling of walker demographics is biased by the dramatic needs of the show.
Which of course makes sense. The same way the turbo lifts in Trek take exactly as long as the dialgoue in them needs as well.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:08 PM   #77
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

All dead bodies that were found in cars that did not reanimate probably suffered head trauma, preventing reanimation. As for starving to death, there may not have been enough time for any walker to do so. And anyway, only active walkers would attack, so the sampling of walker demographics is biased by the dramatic needs of the show.
I always thought those people weren't infected when they died and once dead . . . couldn't be infected. This was in the early stages of the Zombie outbreak before a form of the infection somehow became airborne (or whatever) and infected the living. Yet apparently this strain doesn't turn the living but only reanimates the dead.

Although even describing that idea seems absurd on so many levels . . . but . . . hey . . . its an entertainment show not Bill Nye the Science Guy.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:27 PM   #78
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Did they? Because they've also shown the zombies have no biological "need" other than brain activity and even then only on the most basic level. We've seen zombies who've sustained massive damage to internal organs and even some with missing lower torsos so clearly they have no biological activity or "need" to eat.
In the pilot Morgan Jones wife kept returning to his house and tried to open the door. Doesn't this imply they have some basic memories?

Also we see some of the zombies returning to familiar places e.g. the church and sitting in the pews.
It does seem that the Walkers have some "basic" memories but calling it a memory may be over-stating things. It's more likely they have autonomic impulses. Memory implies "I remember this, I am going to go do it," An impulse is more like breathing or your heart beating neither of which you have to consciously or remember to do. So I think with a lack of anything to eat, a noise to follow, or whatever the Walkers sort of go to some basic form what [was] normal.
Old July 17 2013, 05:08 PM   #79
Pavonis
Commodore

Surely going to church or going home and trying the doorknob aren't autonomic impulses! Jones' wife tried to open the door, and a walker busted down a glass door with a rock to get at Rick et al. in Atlanta. These zombies are tool users. The brain is reactivated by the infection. Granted, not necessarily all of it, but what's-his-name, the CDC doctor, killed TS-19 almost immediately after reanimation. It would have been useful if he had let the scanner run on an animated corpse longer. What if the infection reactivates more of the brain later? They might increase their intelligence over time.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 05:27 PM   #80
sojourner
Admiral

I would argue just the opposite. It's more likely that the recently turned have more residual brain function than zombies that have been "dead" longer.
Old July 17 2013, 05:49 PM   #81
Pavonis
Commodore

Yes, entropy would still be functioning in the Walking Dead universe, unless all the laws of physics were thrown out the window. Fresh corpses should be more threatening than barely active ones.

Intelligent walkers would be a serious threat. I'm not sure what else they could introduce to make walkers more dangerous. Disease from the rotting corpses, perhaps? More walkers-as-weapons, the way the Governor used them?
Old July 17 2013, 05:54 PM   #82
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

That's what I would say.

As for the "memories" thing I'm still not sure calling them memories is entirely accurate. I don't think Morgan's wife said, "This place looks familiar! Morgan and Duane must be in there for me to munch on their brains. Think I'll try the door."

I think it's more like, well, sleepwalking. Where things seem familiar but you can't quite grasp all of the right information to use it (and I've dealt with a sleep walker before, it's a fascinating experience.) It's like door... door looks familiar... I think this is how you open it... Which is pretty much what a sleep walker does even if the door isn't really something familiar. (Again, something I've dealt with.)

I don't feel there's any active "remembering" going on just a basic sense of "familiarity" only at the most basic level.
Old July 17 2013, 06:47 PM   #83
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Intelligent walkers would be a serious threat. I'm not sure what else they could introduce to make walkers more dangerous. Disease from the rotting corpses, perhaps? More walkers-as-weapons, the way the Governor used them?
In this regard the show has been some what inconsistent. In early episodes we saw zombies actually climbing over fences. e.g. when Rick and Glen go looking for the truck to save the group form the building.

In later episodes they don't seem to have this ability any longer.

And as someone noted in order to get into the clothing store a zombie wielded a stone to crack the glass.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 06:52 PM   #84
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
In this regard the show has been some what inconsistent. In early episodes we saw zombies actually climbing over fences. e.g. when Rick and Glen go looking for the truck to save the group form the building.

In later episodes they don't seem to have this ability any longer.

And as someone noted in order to get into the clothing store a zombie wielded a stone to crack the glass.
On the fences, though, weren't they just "monkey see, monkey do", following someone who climbed a fence? The rock and the glass, yea, that's a consistency problem

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 07:18 PM   #85
Pavonis
Commodore

Tool using mightn't be a consistency problem as much as a general degradation of the walker's abilities and mobility. Fresh zombies are more spry and lively than older ones. If the brain keeps rotting after reanimation, the zombies should get dumber. And it looks like they have.
Old July 17 2013, 09:47 PM   #86
sojourner
Admiral

The most inconsistent scene for me is the little girl zombie that picks up her doll.
Old July 17 2013, 09:52 PM   #87
Pavonis
Commodore

What is it inconsistent with, though?

The little girl was fresh, as was Jones' wife, and the rock-toting walker in Atlanta. So, too, were all the fence-climbing walkers...so what is "inconsistent"? That more decayed walkers aren't using tools or grabbing beloved toys?
Old July 18 2013, 03:09 AM   #88
sojourner
Admiral

I don't know, it just seemed off to me.
Old July 18 2013, 03:16 AM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It's perhaps a "bit" inconsistent but the zombies also seem to have a flare for the dramatic. The little girl zombie obviously new she was in the teaser for a TV series and needed to act normal in order for the tension hook to work as the scene progressed.
Old July 18 2013, 03:19 AM   #90
Dream
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's perhaps a "bit" inconsistent but the zombies also seem to have a flare for the dramatic. The little girl zombie obviously new she was in the teaser for a TV series and needed to act normal in order for the tension hook to work as the scene progressed.
Rick sure loves shooting Zombie little girls in the head, doesn't he?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote