TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 14 2013, 03:27 AM   #46
JD
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I've no problem with S4 spoilers/discussion.

I DO hope the show movies around more out and away from the prison and off to see more of the country to see what else is going on out there. Some of the best scenes in the series have been when the characters were outside of the camp/farmhouse of OH MY GOD MAKE IT END!!! and prison.
They do move on eventually in the comics, but they seem to only using some of the basic ideas from the comics, so I don't know how much we can use that to guess what's going to happen in the show.
Old July 14 2013, 03:33 AM   #47
Dream
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I DO hope the show movies around more out and away from the prison and off to see more of the country to see what else is going on out there.
There won't be too much moving around. AMC is incredibly cheap with this show, which is why seasons will always be half indoors and half outdoors at this point. Don't expect the multiple new locations like how it was in season one.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 05:45 AM   #48
JD
Admiral

Really? I would think with the success of the show they'd be pumping millions into it.
Old July 15 2013, 05:52 AM   #49
Pavonis
Commodore

Does AMC have millions to pump into it? It gets great ratings, over 10 million viewers sometimes, but it's still a non-network show. Besides, if the ratings are good without spending extra money on new locations and sets, why cut into the profits?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 06:23 AM   #50
Dream
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Really? I would think with the success of the show they'd be pumping millions into it.
This is an article explains how AMC treats TWD.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-fired-221449

AMC's mentality is "Get it done by spending a little money as possible". That probably explains why two showrunners have already been fired, with the third taking over for season four.
Old July 15 2013, 02:58 PM   #51
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The article points out that they still budget $2.75 million per episode. While it's been a while since West Wing was on and it had IMO a higher production costs and bigger stars than TWD - West Wing was also $2.7 million per episode.

My point is that is a lot of money for relative no-name stars on TWD.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 03:22 PM   #52
Dream
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The article points out that they still budget $2.75 million per episode. While it's been a while since West Wing was on and it had IMO a higher production costs and bigger stars than TWD - West Wing was also $2.7 million per episode.

My point is that is a lot of money for relative no-name stars on TWD.
TWW ended 6 years ago. I expect making a hour long drama to cost more nowadays because of inflation and raising salaries.

Mad Men, which is considered expensive and also on the same network as TWD, costs 2.5 million per episode to make.

Breaking Bad reportedly costs $3 million per episode.

Game of Thrones costs 6 million per episode.
Old July 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #53
JD
Admiral

I can understand wanting to keep the costs down, but IMO on a show like this you've got to be willing to put up a fair amount of money if you want to keep people coming back.
Old July 16 2013, 03:54 AM   #54
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Considering the ratings the show gets in key demographics, resulting in what they can charge for ad space you'd think they'd be throwing money at this show to allow it to expand and continue.
Old July 16 2013, 04:21 AM   #55
Pavonis
Commodore

How much more can the audience for TWD expand, realistically? They're already getting incredible ratings, comparable to network shows. Will throwing more money at the production reliably increase viewership? I suspect that everyone who is into TWD is already watching. If they're not, no amount of money will attract their attention now.
Old July 16 2013, 05:32 PM   #56
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Here's an interview with Robert Kirkman where he talks about some plans for the upcoming season.

There were a couple of quotes which piqued my interest -

We're telling completely different stories. While the Governor is still out there and still a threat, we're going to see him in a new light and he won't appear until we least expect it. I don't think people are really going to be able to anticipate what we do with the Governor; it's going to be radically different. Once that story unfolds over the course of this season, people will see this is a very different story from season three and we are breaking some new ground with these characters.
On closer adaptation: "We are definitely going in some new directions and this will continue to be a different take on the material form the comics but there will possibly be some scenes that are a little bit closer to the comic than we've done in the past. Season four probably has the most number of scenes that are adapted directly from the comic series or very close to what we did.
So I'm wondering -

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:41 PM   #57
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 06:32 PM   #58
sojourner
Admiral

"he won't appear until we least expect it"

Except that now that he's said this, everyone will expect it.
Old July 16 2013, 07:10 PM   #59
Pavonis
Commodore

But when will we least expect it but when we now most expect it! To paraphrase Dwight Schrute of The Office, he'll appear when we most medium suspect it.
Old July 16 2013, 07:28 PM   #60
Karuna
Ensign

The good thing about a lot of good shows is the way you get the familiar crowd thrown into a something completely new almost every episode.

It'd be nice if they could pick up the pace in some way, introduce a plot device that increased the rate of change in certain ways.

As fascinating as the prison and etc are, i want to see more of post apocalyptic zombie land.

Didn't they spend months on the road before they got to the prison though, during the season break? That's such a pity, that kind of thing would have been the most fun.
Karuna is offline   Reply With Quote