Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 14 2013, 12:10 AM   #451
Salinga
Captain

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Finished the set.

NEXT!!!
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 12:28 AM   #452
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I hear ya. When I finish the season, I go back and rewatch my favorite 10-15 episodes from the prior seasons.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 03:27 AM   #453
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I just watched Cause & Effect earlier.

The one thing that gets me, is the lackadaisical way they're acting as the Bozeman is bearing down on them (and we're watching it on the main screen too, it's getting closer pretty fast).

You'd think Data would have some command override and just do whatever was necessary, right away.

But rather, we have Picard eliciting "suggestions". At least they could have had more of a sense of urgency in the later loops, after they knew the ship "was" destroyed.

Of course, I thought the same thing about the end battle scene in Yesterday's Enterprise.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 04:29 AM   #454
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I just watched Cause & Effect earlier.

The one thing that gets me, is the lackadaisical way they're acting as the Bozeman is bearing down on them (and we're watching it on the main screen too, it's getting closer pretty fast).

You'd think Data would have some command override and just do whatever was necessary, right away.

But rather, we have Picard eliciting "suggestions". At least they could have had more of a sense of urgency in the later loops, after they knew the ship "was" destroyed.

Of course, I thought the same thing about the end battle scene in Yesterday's Enterprise.
I always figured that was their way of showing how professional and reserved they are. Of all the shows, the TNG crew are actually the most professional group where TOS had a crew of mavericks, DS9 was a joint operation, VOY was a mix of officers and terrorists and then there's ENT where they're pretty much n00bs.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 07:40 AM   #455
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

d514 wrote: View Post
In Conversation: The Music of Star Trek: The Next Generation: C
I was very disappointed with this one. This is a special feature about the music and you never hear a single note played in this. Dennis McCarthy sings the Intro and that's it. Why is he sitting at a piano? They are talking about music for 75 minutes. "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture." He could have played some of his compositions, he is talking about. They could have cut to the episode they are talking about. Most of them are already remastered so they probably could have played scenes of episodes with music only - without effects and voices. This is a lost opportunity!
Agreed. I started watching this and gave up on it about 20 mins in. As they were talking about the music, I wanted them to cut to examples, so I could hear what they were talking about. Didn't seem like they were going to, and you confirmed that for me.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:49 PM   #456
Admiral Bear
Captain

My Italian Season 5 turned up yesterday. Having turned off the DNR on my tv and turned down the sharpness to just over half way (any lower and the picture is a blurry mess,) I was disappointed with the picture quality of Unification. Soft focus in many shots, yet very grainy in some of the dark scenes.

The viewscreen shots of the Bozeman in Cause and Effect looked awful regarding the grain.

Will catch up with some more episodes when I have time.

I'm also noticing across the later seasons, that quite a few shots, mainly on the Enterprise Bridge, are just plain out of focus. There was a close up shot of Crusher (not on Bridge) I saw the other day(can't remember the episode, but it was season 3 or 4) where she was hopelessly out of focus. It almost looked upscaled SD but it wasn't.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:23 PM   #457
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Well, you can't please everyone... I don't know what you're expecting out of TNG-HD.
Old December 15 2013, 12:13 AM   #458
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post

I always figured that was their way of showing how professional and reserved they are. Of all the shows, the TNG crew are actually the most professional group...
They are also the dullest. Which is probably why the show hasn't aged well in an era of far more dramatic storytelling.
Old December 15 2013, 01:00 AM   #459
Admiral Bear
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Well, you can't please everyone... I don't know what you're expecting out of TNG-HD.
While I appreciate that different film stock was used in season 2, and that some directors favoured "softer" filming techniques in later seasons, I'd expect far less variable picture quality, especially across any given episode eg I'd have thought that excessively grainy shots in an otherwise decent looking episode would've been slightly DNRd, not to make them soft, but just to lessen the grain and make them look like the rest of the episode. CBS have access to far better technology for cleaning up grainy footage than any of us has on our TV.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 01:03 AM   #460
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I appreciate the relative "hands-off" approach of presenting the film the way it looks originally, for better or worse.
Old December 15 2013, 09:19 PM   #461
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
My Italian Season 5 turned up yesterday. Having turned off the DNR on my tv and turned down the sharpness to just over half way (any lower and the picture is a blurry mess,) I was disappointed with the picture quality of Unification. Soft focus in many shots, yet very grainy in some of the dark scenes.

The viewscreen shots of the Bozeman in Cause and Effect looked awful regarding the grain.

Will catch up with some more episodes when I have time.

I'm also noticing across the later seasons, that quite a few shots, mainly on the Enterprise Bridge, are just plain out of focus. There was a close up shot of Crusher (not on Bridge) I saw the other day(can't remember the episode, but it was season 3 or 4) where she was hopelessly out of focus. It almost looked upscaled SD but it wasn't.
Here's the thing: this is what the show looks like. The point of the HD remaster is to show as much of the detail of the film as possible. Film is grainy, hence you're going to see grain. Grain is not noise or a lack of detail; grain is detail.
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
...I'd have thought that excessively grainy shots in an otherwise decent looking episode would've been slightly DNRd, not to make them soft, but just to lessen the grain and make them look like the rest of the episode. CBS have access to far better technology for cleaning up grainy footage than any of us has on our TV.
Getting rid of grain isn't "cleaning up" anything, it's removing detail. Why bother transferring to HD just to turn right around and remove the detail they worked hard to capture. That makes no sense. Again, you seem to have this idea that grain is noise that isn't suppose to be there. In wanting a clearer picture, you suggest the picture be purposely made less clear. I don't get that.
Old December 15 2013, 09:33 PM   #462
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

But there are far older film based movies that have been remastered without graininess.

How can they not do as good a job with TNG as, say, Metropolis?
Old December 15 2013, 10:04 PM   #463
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

But there are far older film based movies that have been remastered without graininess.

How can they not do as good a job with TNG as, say, Metropolis?
It depends on what you mean by "good." If you mean a faithful scan of the original film with as much detail as possible retained, I'm not sure what more they can do for TNG. Scan the film at 8k? As far as I can tell, we're getting the detail. I'll say it again: grain is detail. It's a physical part of the film.

Interesting you bringing up Metropolis. I watched a feature on the film's remaster, and there was one part where they tried to use DNR to "clear up" a scene, and it made a character's legs disappear; he was simply a head, arms, and torso floating around as the character walked. Wish I could find a clip of that youtube; it's a good illustration of how one loses detail in an attempt to "clean" things up. You end up with something artificial; you sacrifice detail for the illusion of clarity.
Old December 15 2013, 10:53 PM   #464
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I'll never claim to understand any of the processes they use, just that I don't remember any grain in the blu-ray release of Metropolis (outside of the messy 16mm footage).

I'm really quite happy with the overall quality of the TNG sets so far. Tons better than what gets shown on even BBCA-HD.

A lot of the complaints I've seen revolve around them not doing as much as they could in the remaster process. But again, I don't know the process.
Old December 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #465
Hober Mallow
Commodore

I'll never claim to understand any of the processes they use, just that I don't remember any grain in the blu-ray release of Metropolis (outside of the messy 16mm footage).
Well, I probably don't know much better than you do, but I just remember that one bit with the DNR attempt on the Metropolis documentary (or whatever it was I saw).

I'm really quite happy with the overall quality of the TNG sets so far. Tons better than what gets shown on even BBCA-HD.

A lot of the complaints I've seen revolve around them not doing as much as they could in the remaster process. But again, I don't know the process.
I don't think there have been too many complaints about the transferring of live action footage.