Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 27 2013, 03:31 PM   #376
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Finally up to the inner light, I got to meet the writer last weekend at Austin Comic Con / Wizard Con. I got the comic version of his sequel to Inner Light, it is pretty interesting. The story was submitted to Trek but they never picked it up as a story to do.

-Chris
Old November 27 2013, 04:58 PM   #377
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Yes, this slightly soft appearance is certainly due to the way in which the show was shot. I'm screen-capping Season 5 right now, and comparing like-for-like Blu with DVD you can see the same differences in sharpness, albeit camouflaged in SD due to the limitations of the resolution.

CBS Digital tried wherever possible to get the best out of the material, but they are limited by the way in which it was shot 25 years ago. They were certainly surprised about some of the "questionable" filming techniques used when they saw the raw footage.
Thanks for explaining! And I have to say while I found the picture quality of "Darmok" a bit dissapointing when we were on the ship sets I have to say that "A Mater of Time" which I'm watching right now looks simple stunning. Sharp and great colors. Fanatastic.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 05:15 PM   #378
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Season 5 was a mixed bag of decent and great episodes. I would say most of the episodes were okay. Inner Light I think was the knocked it out of the park episode for this season. I really like Darmok as well. I am up to the special features on the blus. I am watching the feature on the music.

-Chris
Old November 27 2013, 05:42 PM   #379
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The music feature was interesting, no wonder the music sucked on TNG. These guys were trying to do something along the lines of the original series and create themes, for people, ships, etc. and the producers just killed it, and wanted musical background boring music.

Ron got some good themes in with Booby Trap, Tin Man, some of the more memorable scores.

-Chris
Old November 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #380
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
The music feature was interesting, no wonder the music sucked on TNG. These guys were trying to do something along the lines of the original series and create themes, for people, ships, etc. and the producers just killed it, and wanted musical background boring music.

Ron got some good themes in with Booby Trap, Tin Man, some of the more memorable scores.

-Chris
And that's why Ron was fired.

I really look forward to this feature when I get to it.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 06:08 PM   #381
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Finally up to the inner light, I got to meet the writer last weekend at Austin Comic Con / Wizard Con. I got the comic version of his sequel to Inner Light, it is pretty interesting. The story was submitted to Trek but they never picked it up as a story to do.

-Chris
Did they swap out the early CGI Enterprise for the revised CGI model at the beginning of the episode? I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.
Old November 27 2013, 07:36 PM   #382
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I never understood that back in the day, and I still don't.
Old November 27 2013, 08:45 PM   #383
MickJo1701
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Did they swap out the early CGI Enterprise for the revised CGI model at the beginning of the episode? I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.
I'm afraid they didn't
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 09:47 PM   #384
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That's disappointing. They went back to revise the opening credits already, so it's not like they ignored the episode. It couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to make that change.
Old November 27 2013, 11:06 PM   #385
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Though amusingly (or frustratingly, take your pick), they DID replace it with the new CG shot for the deleted scenes for "The Inner Light," available on the same disc. And I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean. It seems as if CBS Digital's attitude is, "If it's not missing or a mistake, we're not going to change what we've already done... even if a better shot is available!"
Old November 27 2013, 11:25 PM   #386
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Weaksauce. The sampler episodes have left kind of a messy footprint on the season sets.

But I guess this is the drawback of having CBS-D working on seasons 5-7 themselves while maintaining the same schedule. They don't have time to redo stuff that's already "good enough".

Last edited by jimbotron; November 27 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old November 28 2013, 02:44 AM   #387
MakeshiftPython
Captain

-Chris
Jay Chattaway did "Tin Man". Shocking, as it sounds NOTHING like any of the work he put in after, and likely because after that episode he was told by producers to "tone it down, make it bland, don't stir up my emotions". Actually telling a music composer "don't make music that manipulates my emotions" has got to be one of the most face palming things I've ever heard. I can understand a part of it, as Rick Berman wanted "let drama to be drama" rather than have the music carry it, but Jesus. You can tell how frustrated they sounded over being so restrained, but it payed the bills and fed the family I guess.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 10:34 PM   #388
dg1379
Commander

Watching Imaginary Friend and noticed that a blue screen shot was never filled. You can clearly see it when Troi and Clara leave ten forward. I don't know if it was original or not but seems to be a mistake none the less.
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 10:48 PM   #389
Admiral Bear
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Weaksauce. The sampler episodes have left kind of a messy footprint on the season sets.

But I guess this is the drawback of having CBS-D working on seasons 5-7 themselves while maintaining the same schedule. They don't have time to redo stuff that's already "good enough".
These season sets are coming out far too quickly for my liking, and my reasons for that are now becoming evident. Before season 1 was issued, I remember a few people including myself being concerned at how CBS would get through seven seasons of restoration in a year and a half. We had the season one re-issue debacle due to video and audio errors, and there now seem to be unfilled bits of blue screen on the season 5 set.

I'd gladly have seen a 6 monthly schedule for these sets if it meant that CBS did the job properly. After farming out season 2 to a bunch of rank amateurs, you just know CBS will redo the season at some point, and that fans will have to shell out more cash.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 12:06 AM   #390
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
These season sets are coming out far too quickly for my liking, and my reasons for that are now becoming evident. Before season 1 was issued, I remember a few people including myself being concerned at how CBS would get through seven seasons of restoration in a year and a half. We had the season one re-issue debacle due to video and audio errors, and there now seem to be unfilled bits of blue screen on the season 5 set.

I'd gladly have seen a 6 monthly schedule for these sets if it meant that CBS did the job properly. After farming out season 2 to a bunch of rank amateurs, you just know CBS will redo the season at some point, and that fans will have to shell out more cash.
Well the shorter period between releases of S1-5 was due to the two-team approach CBS opted for. Expect the wait between S5-6 and S6-7 to be slightly longer, as the last two seasons are squarely on the shoulders of CBS-D.