Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 20 2013, 06:37 PM   #316
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
The SD footage in Power Play is OK. Not quite blink-and-you-miss-it, but it's not very obtrusive.
I credit the nature of that scene more than anything. It's in a pretty dark area (Ten Forward) and doesn't have many close-ups. The other SD footage this season, of Wesley in the well lit ready room in The First Duty, is a bit more obvious.
But in general I do think CBS-D did a bit better job handling the SD upconversion and color correction this time around.

I think this season's SD footage is handled better than the SD footage from BOBW II in S4.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 07:22 PM   #317
Borjis
Commodore

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I also agree with them about the soundtracks in movies being so bombastic. I was reminded of when movies used music really well and how they made scenes memorable, like in Jurassic Park. One of my favorite scenes in any movie was when they first land to when Hammond says "I'll show you". It was an epic scene mainly because of the music that played with it. I can't recall a movie in the last 10 years where I had that same feeling and that's a shame.
Totally agree with you.

I was watching Airforce One the other day...near the end of the movie, every time there is a victory in the punch/fight there is that annoying movie theme bombing it's way through your speakers.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 08:10 PM   #318
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Correct! It's replaced with CG as of "Conundrum" I think
I thought so. I've always gotten a sense they go episode by episode, and improve as they went along. The drawback is that after the improvement is made, they are either unwilling or incapable of going back and fixing the older work, likely due to time constraints. Examples of that are season 1 where certain model shots weren't available for Encounter at Farpoint, so CGI was used instead. But then the shots were found and used in later episodes within the same season, yet the early CGI remains.
If they had simply remastered the show in reverse (began with "All Good Things..." and worked their way backward toward "Encounter at Farpoint"), they would have found material that was moved down the line and more episodes would have original elements. I think most fans would have understood and been okay with that. I've always wondered if that was ever on the table as a solution before they began full season work.
Old November 20 2013, 11:54 PM   #319
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

I'm onto disc 3. It's possible that my TV has it's warm settings up to high or it's just the way it was shot, but I'm finding that scenes on the bridge are skewed towards the yellow. Particularly noticeable on The Masterpiece Society and Power Play. The red uniforms also don't seem as vibrant and did they change Crushers uniform between seasons 4 & 5 because it looks considerably more turquoise than when I last saw it?
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:03 AM   #320
trekker670
Fleet Captain

mr.peany wrote: View Post
I'm onto disc 3. It's possible that my TV has it's warm settings up to high or it's just the way it was shot, but I'm finding that scenes on the bridge are skewed towards the yellow. Particularly noticeable on The Masterpiece Society and Power Play. The red uniforms also don't seem as vibrant and did they change Crushers uniform between seasons 4 & 5 because it looks considerably more turquoise than when I last saw it?
I believe this issue came up a few pages back when someone noticed the screenshots on blu-ray.com had the same coloring issues you described. FrontierTrek claimed the color settings were improperly set, since the TrekCore screenshots didn't have this problem and matched what he saw on his visit to CBS-D.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:58 AM   #321
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
The SD footage in Power Play is OK. Not quite blink-and-you-miss-it, but it's not very obtrusive.
I credit the nature of that scene more than anything. It's in a pretty dark area (Ten Forward) and doesn't have many close-ups. The other SD footage this season, of Wesley in the well lit ready room in The First Duty, is a bit more obvious.
But in general I do think CBS-D did a bit better job handling the SD upconversion and color correction this time around.

I think this season's SD footage is handled better than the SD footage from BOBW II in S4.
I think it's also due to the fact that by Season 5 the show had switched from the 1" NTSC composite tape used for Seasons 1-3 to, from what I can tell in the 25th anniversary special (where a ship shot from Redemption is up), the component video Betacam SP (it couldn't have been Digital Betacam, as that system wasn't out til 93 and the decks in the special didn't look anything like any D1 decks I've seen) was in use.

Otherwise, I found the wide shots in the SD material are the worst looking, while close-ups were pretty good.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:16 AM   #322
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

OK, so it's not just CBS-D's magic, then. The SD footage in season 5 has much more detail. Early seasons of TNG always looked terrible. The later seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager looked much better in SD.

Even though the biggest chunk is in season 5, only about 3 minutes of total footage is missing out of 5,670 minutes of show. That's 0.05%. Hopefully the missing season 5 footage was just a blip, and not a bad omen.

Devil's advocate - on HTV's watch, they did not have to upscale any missing footage. Just sayin'.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:40 AM   #323
MakeshiftPython
Captain

One of the things that annoyed me about the later seasons in SD was the cross color distortion, which looked worse than it ever did in earlier seasons for some reason. DS9 and VOY would suffer from that too, but it looked like they solved that problem by the 1995-1996 season (DS9 S4, VOY S2).
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 02:08 AM   #324
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
One of the things that annoyed me about the later seasons in SD was the cross color distortion, which looked worse than it ever did in earlier seasons for some reason. DS9 and VOY would suffer from that too, but it looked like they solved that problem by the 1995-1996 season (DS9 S4, VOY S2).
That could've also been a color timing issue between the original film and the telecine process. But Voyager, most likely because it was edited on Digital Betacam, seemed to have had the best color of all the SD tape edited series. But then again SD NTSC has always been known as Never The Same Color.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 02:19 AM   #325
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Checking out the commentary on "Cause & Effect" and I already love Seth MacFarlane on this, he keeps cracking me up... especially his Stewie voice from "Family Guy" shows up.
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 02:50 AM   #326
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I think it's also due to the fact that by Season 5 the show had switched from the 1" NTSC composite tape used for Seasons 1-3 to, from what I can tell in the 25th anniversary special (where a ship shot from Redemption is up), the component video Betacam SP (it couldn't have been Digital Betacam, as that system wasn't out til 93 and the decks in the special didn't look anything like any D1 decks I've seen) was in use.
TNG switched to D1 in Season Four.

That could've also been a color timing issue between the original film and the telecine process.
I think he's referring to the color crosstalk or "rainbow effects" where high luma frequencies sometimes end up in the chroma signal. You could always see it on Worf's sash, for instance:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...rallels001.jpg
Old November 21 2013, 02:58 AM   #327
dg1379
Commander

Anyone ever notice the alien womans pupils in The Game being a different shape? Until now, I sure haven't. The game itself is pretty cool looking.
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 03:14 AM   #328
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
TNG switched to D1 in Season Four.

That could've also been a color timing issue between the original film and the telecine process.
I think he's referring to the color crosstalk or "rainbow effects" where high luma frequencies sometimes end up in the chroma signal. You could always see it on Worf's sash, for instance:

That's correct. Other than that issue, Season 7 was probably TNG's best looking season color wise, so the only real improvement we'll probably end up seeing is the chroma signal being cleaned out and of course more detailed picture.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 11:17 AM   #329
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

That's correct. Other than that issue, Season 7 was probably TNG's best looking season color wise, so the only real improvement we'll probably end up seeing is the chroma signal being cleaned out and of course more detailed picture.
Agreed, Season 7 had the most faithful color reproduction in SD. Season 6 in SD, on the other hand, was pretty washed out and still looks softer than S5 to my eyes. The HD gives it a real boost - I had chance to see some of the raw film from "A Fistful of Datas" and was gobsmacked at how much detail is in there.
Old November 21 2013, 06:41 PM   #330
Borjis
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

yep and the Enterprise sensor dish fuzzyness.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote