Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 30 2013, 11:24 AM   #31
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Klingon Battle Cruiser

^^ Holy crap, I never noticed that!
Old July 1 2013, 06:31 AM   #32
Captain Rob
Commodore

I was lucky to have seen TVH two months prior to release as a work print. And I noticed that Chekov was sporting the engineering section of a D-7 on his forehead right off. The best thing about a work print. No giant floaty heads.
Old July 1 2013, 08:35 AM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
I was lucky to have seen TVH two months prior to release as a work print. And I noticed that Chekov was sporting the engineering section of a D-7 on his forehead right off.
Not a D-7, but a K'tinga class battlecruiser. That part is from an AMT kit of the TMP version, not the original series version.
Old July 1 2013, 01:21 PM   #34
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Another great and timeless design by Matt Jefferies.

However, I can't concur with some posters that the head only holds the officers quarters while the crew quaters are located in the engineering hull.

In "The Trouble With Tribbles" Captain Koloth mentioned that quarters aboard a Klingon ship aren't comfortable and I believe the crew is accomodated in the head, too, having crammed in bunk beds and/or beds that are shared by more than one occupant.

I believe Klingon technology to be somewhat inferior and crude in comparison to Federation technology, thus a large engineering hull with little or no quarters but plenty of radiation and therefore (similar to USS Discovery from "2001") some physical separation between the engineering components of this vessel and the living areas at the bow.

Does the Klingon Battlecruiser use matter-antimatter reactors?

The Star Trek TMP Blueprints provided these specifications for the "new Enterprise Class" and the "Drell-4" (K'tinga):

Enterprise:
Warp: Dilithium Energized Antimatter
Impulse: Subatomic Unified Energy

K'tinga:
Warp: Dilithium Conversion
Impulse: Hydrogen Energy

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:26 PM   #35
Wynterhawk
Commodore

Location: Wynterhawk is cool like the other side of your pillow

I've always thought that it looked like a flying goose to be specific. Looking up as they pass overhead, the arc of their wings especially whilst starting to land look very similar to the ship.
Old July 1 2013, 04:52 PM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
I've always thought that it looked like a flying goose to be specific.
A menacing, badass goose!
Old July 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #37
Cap'n Caveman
Captain

The thing about Star Trek ship design is that nothing looks like anything from previous movies, TV, books, or anything else that came before it. I think that is one reason why many of the ship designs look timeless, especially the Klingon D7.

Robert, since the Klingon Empire was the Star Trek equivalent to the Soviet Union when the show aired, I think that Klingon technology was supposed to be somewhat crude compared to Federation tech, since any Soviet tech at the time was also somewhat crude, but still highly effective.
Old July 2 2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Mario de Monti
Captain

Cap'n Caveman wrote: View Post
Robert, since the Klingon Empire was the Star Trek equivalent to the Soviet Union when the show aired, I think that Klingon technology was supposed to be somewhat crude compared to Federation tech, since any Soviet tech at the time was also somewhat crude, but still highly effective.
AND dangerous to use with a rather low regard to the safety of the respective Soviet crews, as the numerous incidents, accidents and near-accidents especially in the first Soviet nuclear subs and their space program illustrate.
Thus if you continue the analogy it actually makes sense to assume, that the crew of the Klingon battlecruiser was crammed into the small "bulb" at the bow, at a somewhat safe distance from the hazardous engineering/drive section.

Mario
Old July 2 2013, 03:29 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Small quarters for the greater glory of the Klingon Empire...

Of course, one would expect the bulb to have narrower corridors, too, once we evaluate the footage from "The Enterprise Incident".

Wait a minute, maybe the crew does sleep in the corridors and available rooms are reserved for officers?

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; July 2 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old July 2 2013, 04:15 PM   #40
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Cap'n Caveman wrote: View Post
AND dangerous to use with a rather low regard to the safety of the respective Soviet crews, as the numerous incidents, accidents and near-accidents especially in the first Soviet nuclear subs and their space program illustrate.
Thus if you continue the analogy it actually makes sense to assume, that the crew of the Klingon battlecruiser was crammed into the small "bulb" at the bow, at a somewhat safe distance from the hazardous engineering/drive section.

Mario
Jeez. Assuming the Klingon engineering section is a radioactive disaster-in-waiting, I wonder what kind of weird mutations occurred to the Tribbles Scotty beamed into the Klingon engine room in Trouble With Tribbles?
Old July 2 2013, 04:28 PM   #41
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
Assuming the Klingon engineering section is a radioactive disaster-in-waiting, I wonder what kind of weird mutations occurred to the Tribbles Scotty beamed into the Klingon engine room in Trouble With Tribbles?
Old July 2 2013, 04:53 PM   #42
Timo
Admiral

Actually, old Soviet shipbuilding placed quite an emphasis on crew comfort, or at least officer comfort. Soviet naval vessels were often full of luxury items such as pianos, fireplaces and comfortable leather furniture. On the other hand, they were designed for shorter mission lengths than their western "counterparts", mainly because the Soviet navy had very limited bluewater ambitions and concentrated on protecting its home waters; there was less overall need for accommodation space onboard for that reason.

An interesting question is whether the Romulans significantly modified the interiors of their battle cruisers after receiving them from the Klingons, one way or another (war loot, treaty transfers, industrial espionage). Klingons appear to be long-reaching adventurists, but Romulans could fit the picture of Soviet-style homebodies; quite possibly they would rework the ships to meet very different mission demands.

Also, much as happens in the real world when ships are transferred from a northern navy to a tropical one, there might be a pressing need to sacrifice otherwise vital systems for the installation of even more vital life support elements, comparable to air conditioning or heating ITRW. Klingons and Romulans probably loathe each other's accommodation standards for a good reason.

The final question is whether the ship design would allow for these as such logical or necessary modifications. Could corridors be widened at will? Easily, if the original walls are just simple partitions inside a load-bearing hull...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:50 PM   #43
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ scotpens

Timo wrote: View Post
Klingons appear to be long-reaching adventurists, but Romulans could fit the picture of Soviet-style homebodies; quite possibly they would rework the ships to meet very different mission demands.
Good analogy, makes sense to me within the TOS portrayals. But wouldn't you expect the Romulans to be more "Spartan"?

From "Day of the Dove":

SULU: Trouble aboard the Klingon ship. Evidence of explosions, massive destruction.

KANG: You attacked my ship! Four hundred of my crew dead. Kirk, my ship is disabled. I claim yours.

SCOTT: Captain, we've not been able to get through to Starfleet Command. All subspace frequencies have been blocked, and there's too much radiation coming from that Klingon ship. It's a hazard to the vicinity.

Apparently, the massive destruction must have occurred internally and most likely in the engineering hull where 400 "of the crew" were killed.
The 40 survivors probably all came from the bow "bulb".

Now, Kang didn't say explicitly 400 Klingons were killed (that would merit the execution of 4,000 Federation citizens from a Klingon perspective if I'm not mistaken), thus we might be looking at 400 aliens (i.e. not Klingons) that did serve as "slaves" to run the ship in the engineering hull.

An analogy to a Klingon Battlecruiser might be the Roman Trireme (Roman galley) where most of the operators required for "propulsion" were slaves. Admittedly, that's a crew complement you'd rather expect to see with the Rom(ul)ans, but maybe an explanation how they got their name during the Earth-Romulan War...from a strictly TOS point of view, of course.

Bob
Old July 3 2013, 01:07 AM   #44
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Now, Kang didn't say explicitly 400 Klingons were killed (that would merit the execution of 4,000 Federation citizens from a Klingon perspective if I'm not mistaken), thus we might be looking at 400 aliens (i.e. not Klingons) that did serve as "slaves" to run the ship in the engineering hull.

I'm sure that edict allowed some room for flexibility. It's not practical that the 10 for 1 ratio could always work, such as in this particular case.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 01:19 AM   #45
Metryq
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
400 aliens (i.e. not Klingons) that did serve as "slaves" to run the ship in the engineering hull.
Even before you mentioned triremes (monotremes?), I was thinking of rowers in the engineering hull. Talk about back-breaking work getting a mass that large up to the speed of light!

Then there's the A4/V2 of World War II, which killed more people from its manufacture than from its deployment.