Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 28 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers

Better to have Arnold that not have him, I guess. But the whole Terminator concept is so played out by now, that I don't know what they could do to make it seem fresh and interesting again.

We know every part of the story inside and out by now.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Pingfah
Admiral

Well a reboot often involves abandoning all established canon and starting again with the basic concept, which is fine by me.
Old June 28 2013, 06:14 PM   #18
tighr
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
We know every part of the story inside and out by now.
Except we don't. The movies (continuity errors and all) still left a lot of plot threads hanging.

Not that we need them to be explained, either, though. A fresh reboot would bring a new perspective.

A new Terminator released in 2014 would be the 30th anniversary of the franchise, though.
Old June 28 2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Hugh Mann
Lieutenant

Hollywood still out of ideas? Why not endlessly reboot, remake, and redo the same old ideas instead of thinking of new ones? Terrible. Does anyone remember when you could go to the theatre and most movies there would be original?
Hugh Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:06 PM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Frontier wrote: View Post
Is it a reboot? Is it a sequel? Is it a prequel? Is Arnold back? In what role?
This franchise is getting almost as muddy and confused as Highlander got, with movies that took different paths and seem to contradict each other, along with a series that seems to occasionally contradict what happened in some of the movies. I dunno...maybe a full reboot to erase the past entirely...I just don't know.

But it must definitely have Ah-nuld.
You know, I wouldn't mind a nuTrek-style reboot. Find a way to set it up in an alternate reality, which should be easy with this franchise, without ignoring what came before.
Old June 28 2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
Hollywood still out of ideas? Why not endlessly reboot, remake, and redo the same old ideas instead of thinking of new ones? Terrible. Does anyone remember when you could go to the theatre and most movies there would be original?
My movie going experience started in the 80's a pseudo launching point for the sequel machine as it revved up into high gear.
A few original films at the end of the 70's/early 80s like Rocky, Raiders, Star Wars, Jaws, Alien, Halloween, Friday the 13th for example.
Then came Nightmare on Elm Street, First Blood(Rambo), Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Predator, Robocop, Terminator...to bring this full circle to topic.

I know the board has a diverse age group but really, what era, how far back are you going for the qualifier "most movies there would be original"?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:31 PM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think one main difference is that a lot of the current blockbusters tend to be based on pre-existing properties -- reboots of old movies, continuations of older series, book adaptations, superhero movies, etc.

At least as far as I am aware, the older classics of the 70s and 80s (well, let's call them "middle aged classics") were themselves original works.
Old June 28 2013, 08:46 PM   #23
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
Yeah, 1903, that was a great year. Then the first remake of The Great Train Robbery came along a year later and screwed it all up. Hollywood's been on a downward spiral ever since. I mean, The Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Frankenstein? All crap (and all based on earlier novels, no less, so they're doubly unoriginal!).

It's always amusing to me that those who call for a return to the nonexistent golden era of total originality from Hollywood are completely unaware that they're using one of the most hackneyed and tedious complaints imaginable, second only to anything that begins with "The younger generations..." and ends with "these days." in my opinion. This complaint gets brought up virtually every time there's a remake, reboot, or adaptation announced, so I know a lot of the people who say it are aware of the reaction they're going to get, but just enjoy doing it anyway. Or they start making up arbitrary standards for why certain remakes don't count when they don't prove your point, and then proceed to move the goalposts even further from there.

Physician, heal thyself of your unoriginality.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 09:23 PM   #24
tighr
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It's always amusing to me that those who call for a return to the nonexistent golden era of total originality from Hollywood are completely unaware that they're using one of the most hackneyed and tedious complaints imaginable, second only to anything that begins with "The younger generations..." and ends with "these days." in my opinion.
Every year there are dozens, if not hundreds, of films released that are original. The fact that the viewing public eats up sequels shouldn't take away from the amazing films that go unnoticed or released to little fanfare.

The only reason we look back fondly on the 70's and 80's is because cream floats to the top, and shit sinks to the bottom. It's the same with music. 30 years from now, I can't wait to see what music from this decade survived for our children to listen to.
Old June 28 2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

tighr wrote: View Post
It's always amusing to me that those who call for a return to the nonexistent golden era of total originality from Hollywood are completely unaware that they're using one of the most hackneyed and tedious complaints imaginable, second only to anything that begins with "The younger generations..." and ends with "these days." in my opinion.
Every year there are dozens, if not hundreds, of films released that are original. The fact that the viewing public eats up sequels shouldn't take away from the amazing films that go unnoticed or released to little fanfare.
And? Where in my post did I say anything that disparages or denies the existence of original films? My point was simply to debunk the oft repeated nonsense idea that there was ever a time in Hollywood history where remakes and adaptations weren't a common thing, with the exception of the very early experimental era, which can't even reasonably be called "Hollywood."
Old June 28 2013, 09:44 PM   #26
tighr
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
And? Where in my post did I say anything that disparages or denies the existence of original films? My point was simply to debunk the oft repeated nonsense idea that there was ever a time in Hollywood history where remakes and adaptations weren't a common thing, with the exception of the very early experimental era, which can't even reasonably be called "Hollywood."
Uh, I was agreeing with you? And continuing your main point? Please redirect your rage elsewhere.
Old June 28 2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Man, if I had known that that was rage, I would have used all caps. Opportunity... missed.
Old June 28 2013, 10:31 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Well a reboot often involves abandoning all established canon and starting again with the basic concept, which is fine by me.
Isn't that what each new Terminator entry does anyway? To wit:

- The first film was an absolutely closed loop.

- Then comes T2, which introduces ways to change the timeline (including several different outcomes).

- T3 and T:Salvation. Ditto. Is the date of Judgment Day consistent across ANY two films?

- Sarah Connor Chronicles, which IIRC exists in a time stream unique to itself and not part of any previous film. I can't remember if it actually is supposed to lead to Judgment Day or not.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 02:28 AM   #29
Saul
Rear Admiral

Screw this reboot. Give me the movie where John Connor finally wins the war and sends Kyle Reese back in time.
Old June 29 2013, 03:12 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Or one which prevents time travel ever being invented, and thus, erases Skynet from history.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote