Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 21 2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

The Enterprise...sorta...

Back to a pre TOS era. I'm thinking this could be my next subject, no?

One thing I appreciate about this is there's a scale indicated, which is something I never really noticed before. While next to nothing has really been definitively established about this design I do see some things. One, we know this ship was named Enterprise before the TOS E. Two, it's a good indication of what the technology was in that era. Three, the apparent size of the vessel might indicate the general size of major spacecraft in that era.

After that I think there's a fair bit of room to speculate and extrapolate. It's interesting in a way because unless there are more detailed Matt Jefferies' drawings out there somewhere there's a fair amount of room for interpretation. I might even play with the scale a bit.

Last edited by Warped9; November 21 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: The Enterprise...sorta...

its up to you but we have a version of it in the Calenders
Old November 22 2013, 12:31 AM   #3
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Interesting callouts in that drawing - Centriverter, Centridyne, Enviropod, Metafier. (Metafier?!?) Sounds very '60s era terminology to me, but who's to say that won't come back around again?
Old November 22 2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Warped9
Admiral

Kaiser wrote: View Post
its up to you but we have a version of it in the Calenders
And this is established as definitive? And we have onscreen evidence to cooroborate it?

Something of note. If you study the somewhat blurred image of the ringship used on TMP the pod on the side of the forward hull is oblong rather than a sphere as seen in the orthographic drawings. The orthos are identified for a ship for a series idea GR had called Starship while the image in TMP is definitely supposed to be an Enterprise. From that the resin model from Fantastic Plastic is actually more correct than the version Mark Rademaker has, in that single detail anyway. I admit I find the oblong shaped pod more aesthetically pleasing as it seems to be more well integrated with the rest of the design.

Last edited by Warped9; November 22 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old November 22 2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Well the calenders are not canon far as i know but you dont have to listen to me just do what you want to
Old November 22 2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

Kaiser wrote: View Post
Well the calenders are not canon far as i know but you dont have to listen to me just do what you want to
Well that is my essential point. The calendars are not canon, not official. And neither is the resin kit from Fantstic Plastic. So if I deviate from those interpretations no one can really cry foul and say I'm wrong. It's quite different than deviating from a design that has been clearly established onscreen.
Old November 22 2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

I'm starting to draw out some of the major components and I have reiterate that how the original drawings are done leaves a lot unclear. That leaves a fair degree of leeway for interpretation. MJ configured this in a general sense, but unless there are more detailed drawings out there somewhere then he might not have appreciated how his basic concept could be a challenge as a physical model (or 3D model for the matter). This does happen that something you initially envision doesn't quite work in three dimensions. Now I've looked how the resin model and the Mark Rademaker design seems to have interpreted certain issues and I can't say I really care for either. And so seeing as there is no definitive to do it I will address the issues in my own way while trying to hew as closely as possible to what MJ seemed to have mind.
Old November 22 2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Albertese
Commodore

I'd love to see your take on this. I will follow with interest!

--Alex
Old November 23 2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Warped9
Admiral

So we begin...

Old November 23 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
So we begin...

Clearly not a Jewish design.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

^^^ snort!
Old November 24 2013, 05:40 AM   #12
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Personally, I'm seeing it more in terms of a 'red-bellied sap-sucker' than a 'heat-seeking moisture missile'.

I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:10 AM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

Some progress. A bit more of the forward section as well as the central boom and the aft engine section. Some of the surface detailing is my speculation since the drawings don't specify any such detail. Other than the general configuration as well as size and shape of the major components there is essentially next to no detail on the drawings.

Old November 24 2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Warped9
Admiral

There is a funkiness to this design I rather like and it has me thinking of a variant. I can't help but feel that properly done this design would have looked better with one ring instead of two. At some point I'd like to try that. It certainly gives me ideas as to what might have come before and after this design in terms of starship evolution.

One ring would look tidier and more robust I think. I've long felt the two ring setup looked overly complicated and more fragile.

I'm glad that GR and the TMP production crew chose to include this design in Trek's prehistory. It breaks the mold of the familiar nacelles and saucer concept in terms of starship evolution. It points to something different and a different era from the familiar 23rd century and beyond. That's partly why I was so disappointed with the Cochrane prototype in FC and the NX-01 of ENT because they simply tweaked the familiar rather than trying for something more interesting. I found that to be a truly sad lack of creativity.

I look at the potential of this ringship design (as I've alluded to above) and see how a comparatively small ship of new design (in universe) with a smaller crew finding new adventures and stories. But instead the creators of ENT copped out and played it safe and stale. Perhaps to some the design of the ship is basically irrelevant, but just as MJ's concept for the TOS E was ideally representative of TOS' overall approach to SF adventure/drama a more distinctive ship design for ENT might have signalled some fresh thinking.

But then again the same crowd was running the show so how visionary could they be expected to be.

Last edited by Warped9; November 24 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old November 28 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Warped9
Admiral

I mentioned I was starting over from scratch and here we are. I'm a little further along than where I had left off. I've finished the transition from central boom section to the forward pods as well as added the auxiliary pod where the auxiliary craft or shuttlecraft will be bertheed. I'm still trying to decide exactly what kind of hangar door I want.

The changes I made are generally moderate and likely hard for anyone but me to spot if you don't know what I had done differently before.