RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 883
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 26 2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Interviewing someone for a job...

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Thankfully nobody in my line of work wears suits. When I started my current job, I was given a Jagerbomb at 10am and told "Welcome to the family!"
Either a wiseguy, senior stockbroker or comic shop assistant ?
Old June 26 2013, 10:55 PM   #17
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

I've always favoured the "What if" questions.

Obviously, no one expects you to know everything as you have not yet been trained in the specific codes of conduct of that particular workplace.

But they're more looking for your ability to assess conflicting obligations and the thought process behind why you may take one course of action over another.

Everyone is going to toot their own horn at the interview. This is closer to directly asking someone how intelligent they are, what their problem-solving skills are like, without giving them as much of an opportunity to straight up lie to you.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 11:07 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Thankfully nobody in my line of work wears suits. When I started my current job, I was given a Jagerbomb at 10am and told "Welcome to the family!"
Either a wiseguy, senior stockbroker or comic shop assistant ?
Brewery manager.
Old June 27 2013, 02:44 AM   #19
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'll be interviewing some people tomorrow as well, except it will be a group interview so I won't be the only one asking questions.

One question that I think is really great to ask in interviews is this:

What do you do in your professional and personal life to relieve stress?

This gives you the opportunity to hear the person talk about their personal life, get a sense for who they are, how they might react to a stressful situation, and what calms them. I think it says a lot about a person.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 06:35 AM   #20
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

If you're interviewing for someone you will be working with, picking someone you feel comfortable with is NOT inappropriate - it should ensure a smooth working relationship.
I can't stress how important this is. If you are not comfortable talking with them or spending time with them, your working situation will not be real pleasant for either of you and may create stress.

Also, if you will not be the only person working closely with this individual, you should have the other people who will be working closely with them sit in for a few minutes or spend some time talking to them before/after the actual interview.

Have someone greeting the applicants - they should chat to them, make them a coffee, relax them and show that it's a good place to work. After the interviews, compare notes with the greeter to see if you agree. Some people are different in the formal interview.
This would be an excellent role for someone else who would be working with the new hire. If the current employee is not comfortable with them, it could cause problems.

Although it did not happen by design, when I interviewed for my current job this wound up happening. My interview was scheduled for 830 on a Monday. While I was early, the interviewer got caught in traffic do to an accident and wound up being 20 minutes late. So, she called a gentleman who was already doing the job that I was interviewing for and had him come out and talk to me over some coffee. I had a job offer that afternoon from them based partially on what he told her.

When he turned in his resignation a little over a month later, the boss remembered what had happened and had both of us sit in on the interviews that she conducted for his replacement and hired the guy we were most comfortable with.

Another important thing to do is to get them talking about their life outside of work. A person who leads a balanced life will be happier. Happier people tend to perform better. Likewise, a person who is not pursuing other interests is likely to burn out and leave you looking to replace them in a year or two. Ask them what they do to relax or what their hobbies are.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:10 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Outside interest should have no impact on selecting someone for a job.

I read
I surf the net
I watch TV
I go out with friends
etc..

Most people will tend to have fairly ordinary lives. What makes one person happy might not make another person happy.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Gecko of Gorn
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
"So...tell me about your mother."
"Let me tell you about my mother.".
Gecko of Gorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Kelthaz
Commodore

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
When he turned in his resignation a little over a month later, the boss remembered what had happened and had both of us sit in on the interviews that she conducted for his replacement and hired the guy we were most comfortable with.
I would find that very nerve-racking. Interviews are uncomfortable enough, but having two other people just sitting there watching me during the interview would be 10 times worse. I agree that you should spend time with those you're going to be working closely with, but perhaps a more informal setting would be better for that? You said that for your interview you spent 20 minutes sitting there chatting with a guy over coffee. That sounds much better for getting to know someone.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's kind of funny that this is coming up now. I have a coworker and the two of us are really the only ones in our department who do the kinds of work we do. He was diagnosed with throat cancer in late February (I feel bad for him, but he also has a crappy attitude, which complicates all of this even more), and while he was supposed to return in late May, the most recent information we have is "maybe in late July". In the meantime I've had to do tasks that I've never done before and that it could be said he "casually" documented. I'm also, of course, doing the work of 1.75 people (my manager's helping me but there's a bunch of stuff he also doesn't know how to do).

Anyway, even in a best case scenario if/when my coworker returns, this seems like a rather pointed reminder that he's not going to be with the company forever. Given that the only other person familiar with what he does is me, I've idly wondered whether, if and when we look to replace him (or possibly add another person to our area) I'll be invited to sit in on the interviews, and whether I'd play an active role or would just be listening in and offering my feedback after the fact. Ironically, while I've often played a part in training new employees, I don't consider myself very patient, very tactful or much of a people person, so if there was an interview going on I'd probably be as nervous as the interviewee. Okay, not really, but you get my meaning...
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 08:43 PM   #25
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Colonel Midnight wrote: View Post
If the person isn't ready for it (and it usually gets them off guard, as one usually wants to praise yourself in an interview, not talk about problems you've had)... It'll show if they can think "on their feet", as well as adapt and overcome obstacles.
What does thinking on your feet and coming up with elaborate stories on the spot have to do with performing your job? Unless you're interviewing someone to be a talk show host, you're testing a skill that's completely irrelevant for the position at hand.
It's not about storytelling but an interviewer usually wants to see how a candidate handles himself under pressure and asking such loaded questions is one way to do it. If the person gets a halfway decent answer together he passes showing he'll not freeze up when it gets hectic and chaotic at the job (which at some point will happen).. if he passes with flying colors, i.e. stays calm, gets together well worded sentences and appears to be truthful and what he says makes sense then he scores extra bonus points.

Once you get to an interview at all, i.e. passed basic requirements such as grades, work experience and other requirements interviewers want to get to know the person behind the diplomas, certificates and numbers and they do like to put people outside their comfort zone because it's then that most people show their true colors.
Old June 27 2013, 11:52 PM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

Doesn't this all really depend on the job, different jobs have different skill sets.

So in a hypothetical example were something goes wrong which is better

Someone who jumps right in and tries to fix it or someone who carefully considers what course of action to take before starting?

Someone who jumps right in could make things worse, but for some jobs the more considered approach might not be best approach.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 28 2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Kelthaz
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
It's not about storytelling but an interviewer usually wants to see how a candidate handles himself under pressure and asking such loaded questions is one way to do it.
I disagree with the assumption that asking loaded questions properly assesses someone's ability to handle a position where they are under pressure. It assesses your ability to do improv, but that's it. Someone can be extremely good at handling job related pressure, but shut down when asked to verbally answer a random question. The ability to think on your feet socially is very different from the ability to handle a tight deadline as an accountant.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 06:33 AM   #28
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm not sure I'd consider loaded questions to be without value, but I will say at my job I wish I could tell people in advance, "If you want an okay, fast answer, call me. If you want the best, most well-considered answer, email me." I hate phonecalls precisely because I don't have time to think about whatever situation I'm giving feedback on, and it seems like the callers don't appreciate the value of letting me actually think about the problem first.
Old June 28 2013, 08:16 AM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

You could also say that about the whole interview process. Some people may be great at interviews but do badly at the job whilst others might interview poorly but be great for the job.
Old June 28 2013, 03:52 PM   #30
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Unless the job involves some of the same skills necessary to interview well, in which case if you don't interview well then you probably wouldn't be a good fit for the job.