IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 26 2013, 02:23 AM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: The prefix number

DonIago wrote: View Post
It's almost as classified as the Omega Molecule stuff.
Indeed.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 03:51 AM   #32
Lance
Commodore

In the 1991 Star Trek PC adventure game, there's a neat little call-back to TWOK where one of several solutions to boarding a Starfleet vessel which has been hijacked is to find it's security prefix code in the Enterprise computer and then force them to lower shields long enough to beam over.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 10:53 AM   #33
Belz...
Fleet Captain

xvicente wrote: View Post
The scene in ST II from the Reliant's attack to Enterprise's counter-attack is awesome.

Among other things it's nice to see the Enterprise's various bridge operations -- Kirk and Spock first check the damage control panel, then Spock goes to his computer station to get the code, then he goes to the weapons to lower Reliant's shields -- it's not random at all.

But is funny how the code can't have repeated numbers: the buttons (more like switches) don't come back after pressed, see:
Yeah. I'd think that Starfleet computers would easily be able to force their way through it. Even if the other vessel only allows for one attempt, that's pretty unsafe.

But it's an awesome scene.

Sran wrote: View Post
That Spock assumed Khan could not only know of the code but be able to reprogram it speaks to his respect for Khan's intellect. He follows up his suggestion that Khan changed the code by saying, "He's quite intelligent."
Yeah. Maybe Khan read the manuals, but they probably don't mention that little bit.
Old June 26 2013, 02:57 PM   #34
Sran
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Yeah. Maybe Khan read the manuals, but they probably don't mention that little bit.
Vonda McIntyre's novelization mentions Khan having memorized Enterprise's technical manual during "Space Seed." She elaborates that he was pleased to have found a vessel so similar to Enterprise because it required only brief skimming of Reliant's manual to become familiar with any system updates.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 03:57 PM   #35
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

(laughs) Now I want to see Relase Notes.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:27 PM   #36
blueziggy
Lieutenant

the prefix code should have had a reference later in the movie as well... imo

after the enterprise counter attack the reliant withdraws. off screen she goes to regula and tries to get genesis. kahn cant find it then goes back to reliant. jocamin then says impulse power restored after kahn gets genesis. we then see the reliant approach the station expecting to find enterprise.

so my question is, why the need to restore impulse power before attacking enterprise? photon control and warp drive were what the counter attack knocked out. but a shielded reliant should have still been able to best the crippled enterprise. now if jocamin came up and said something to the effect of the codes been changed or weve regained sole and full control of the reliant then it would make sense that they hadnt gone and attacked the enterprise.

but maybe im over thinking.
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:35 PM   #37
Sran
Fleet Captain

^The way I see it, any ship entering a combat area needs to have a means of propulsion, and impulse power would allow the Reliant to maneuver with something besides minimal thrusters.

Additionally, consider what Decker told Kirk about the redesign of Enterprise's engine in TMP. Ships were able to increase phaser intensity by routing them through the main engines, so any vessel hoping to use phasers would need at least partial use of its main drive systems. With torpedo guidance unavailable, Reliant's phasers were its only means of attacking Enterprise that had a reasonable chance of success.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 06:16 PM   #38
Belz...
Fleet Captain

blueziggy wrote: View Post
after the enterprise counter attack the reliant withdraws. off screen she goes to regula and tries to get genesis. kahn cant find it then goes back to reliant.
Reliant goes to Regula I before fighting Enterprise, actually.

jocamin
*Joachim.
Old June 27 2013, 09:45 PM   #39
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

blueziggy wrote: View Post
the prefix code should have had a reference later in the movie as well... imo

after the enterprise counter attack the reliant withdraws. off screen she goes to regula and tries to get genesis. kahn cant find it then goes back to reliant. jocamin then says impulse power restored after kahn gets genesis. we then see the reliant approach the station expecting to find enterprise.

so my question is, why the need to restore impulse power before attacking enterprise? photon control and warp drive were what the counter attack knocked out. but a shielded reliant should have still been able to best the crippled enterprise. now if jocamin came up and said something to the effect of the codes been changed or weve regained sole and full control of the reliant then it would make sense that they hadnt gone and attacked the enterprise.

but maybe im over thinking.
It's possible that as Reliant was retreating, additional damage may have occurred due to fires, power surges, etc.

Remember, Khan was trying to run a ship usually crewed by at least 300 with a crew of about 60. Even Enterprise with a full (admittedly mostly cadets/trainees) crew faced huge damage-control issues.

Khan wanted all the chips stacked in his favour, so waited until all the systems were repaired. After all, he knew the Enterprise wasn't going anywhere, and he had no intention of making the same mistake as he did in their first encounter.
Old June 28 2013, 04:21 PM   #40
xvicente
Commander

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
Khan was trying to run a ship usually crewed by at least 300 with a crew of about 60. Even Enterprise with a full (admittedly mostly cadets/trainees) crew faced huge damage-control issues.
Where are those numbers from? not that it matters much, the next movie canonized that a chimpanzee and two trainees can run a starship.

Not only that, the commander of an enemy ship with about twelve men thought they could board and overtake it.

Enterprise must be a sleeper ship.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 07:01 PM   #41
DaleC76
Captain

Khan was trying to run a ship usually crewed by at least 300 with a crew of about 60. Even Enterprise with a full (admittedly mostly cadets/trainees) crew faced huge damage-control issues.
Where are those numbers from? not that it matters much, the next movie canonized that a chimpanzee and two trainees can run a starship.
After being modified by Mr. Scott. And even then it was useless in combat.

Not only that, the commander of an enemy ship with about twelve men thought they could board and overtake it.
They had surrendered. They weren't expecting to fight their way to the bridge or anything.
Old June 28 2013, 08:09 PM   #42
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

DaleC76 wrote: View Post
After being modified by Mr. Scott. And even then it was useless in combat.

They had surrendered. They weren't expecting to fight their way to the bridge or anything.
300 seems a fair estimation, based on the Enterprise having about 430, and the Reliant appearing to have a slightly smaller overall mass than her.

Scotty automated the ship. A chimpanzee and two trainees could probably fly her from A to B, but there's no chance to repair any damage anywhere on the ship apart from the bridge, do any routine maintenance, or even operate the thing effectively for anything above about 36 hrs tops!

As for 12 Klingons capturing the Enterprise, firstly Kirk had surrendered, secondly they had hostages to ensure compliance, and thirdly Kruge was a complete whacko!

"We are Klingons!" hardly guarantees victory when facing 30-1 odds and fighting on the enemy's home turf. Had Kirk had a full crew and intended fighting them, the Klingons would have not even got out of the transporter room.

A moot point though, as a fully-crewed Enterprise would have been able to raise shields and simply blown the Bird of Prey into scrap anyway.
Old June 29 2013, 04:22 PM   #43
xvicente
Commander

A moot point though, as a fully-crewed Enterprise would have been able to raise shields and simply blown the Bird of Prey into scrap anyway.
That's what Starfleet wants you to believe. Exactly that should have happened in Generations. And that was a Galaxy-class, no less.

Grissom took one shot to destroy and the Klingons weren't even wanting to blow it up. Valkris ship too. The Enterprise hit the Klingon ship with two torpedoes, the same amount of firepower that tore Reliant in two, and only barely scratched the paint (ok, they killed the dog too).

Birds of Prey are fucking dangerous.

Kruge was a complete whacko
That he was.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.

Last edited by xvicente; June 29 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: emergency poweeeer!! to the thrusteeeeers!!!
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 09:00 PM   #44
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
The prefix code seems like a good idea, but it's only one digit longer than the security code to get into my phone. Hardly seems like the most secure method to prevent hacking. At least they gave starship computer security some thought, though....
This movie was made in the early 80's so dated security measures can be forgiven. At the time that seemed like a highly advanced security precaution. Really the only thing that surprised me is, what's the point of having these security prefix codes if any ship can look them up?
Old June 29 2013, 09:48 PM   #45
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought TWOK demonstrated precisely what the point of having them was...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote