Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 14 2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Buster
Ensign

Blu-Ray vs DVD

I've never seen any of these movies and want to know the best way to start. Unless I'm mistaken the blu-ray versions are theatrical and the DVD's are director's cuts. Which version do you recommend? Is the higher quality of the blu-ray versions worth missing out on the extra content and paying the higher price?
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD

I prefer the theatrical versions. Though I own both the 2-Disc Special Editions and the Blu-ray's.
Old May 14 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I prefer the theatrical versions. Though I own both the 2-Disc Special Editions and the Blu-ray's.
Ditto. Ditto!
Old May 14 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

I could be wrong but I think it was only the first 2 movies that got directors cuts on DVD. The Motion Picture gets the most changes with some new CGI shots and edits to improve pacing, Star Trek 2's changes are more subtle with some extended scenes and additional dialogue. Some of the movies on blu-ray have pretty poor transfers but I guess they'll still benefit from the bump in resolution over DVD so you're probably better off going for the blu-rays even if you miss out on the extras. If you really want to see the directors cuts then you can pick up the individual DVDs.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

Star Trek VI is also extended on DVD; there are actually two versions of this extended cut, one on the single DVD release and one on the double DVD release. The Blu-Ray is the only time the theatrical version has been made available on home video, AFAIK.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 11:57 PM   #6
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Star Trek VI is also extended on DVD; there are actually two versions of this extended cut, one on the single DVD release and one on the double DVD release. The Blu-Ray is the only time the theatrical version has been made available on home video, AFAIK.
Yeah you're right but I believe the changes are pretty minor. The only one I noticed is that as the conspirators are being named an image of them flashes on the screen. I prefer the original because the image and the sound effect they use really take me out of the scene.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:01 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Plus, I believe the Blu-ray is the only version with the original aspect ratio.
Old May 15 2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

GameOn wrote: View Post
Yeah you're right but I believe the changes are pretty minor. The only one I noticed is that as the conspirators are being named an image of them flashes on the screen. I prefer the original because the image and the sound effect they use really take me out of the scene.
The differences between the two extended versions are minor -- and, like you, I prefer the version on the 1-disc DVD-- but the differences between the two extended versions and the theatrical version are more dramatic. Colonel West is completely eliminated in the theatrical version and there are a few other scenes absent as well.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 09:25 PM   #9
CaptPapa
Commander

While I fully apreciate the purists' point of view, and would probably agree in any other subject, to me I'll take more story; it's the extended cuts for me.
In my opinion, The Motion Picture was a completely different, and better, film in the director's cut version.
More Star Trek is better!
Old May 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
While I fully apreciate the purists' point of view, and would probably agree in any other subject, to me I'll take more story; it's the extended cuts for me.
In my opinion, The Motion Picture was a completely different, and better, film in the director's cut version.
More Star Trek is better!
I totally respect your opinion, CaptPapa. But from my own perspective, even though I'm a fairly long in the tooth 44 year old original series fan dating back to the early 80's, I still don't regard myself as a purist at all. I just feel the DC's are genuinely inferior as movies.

As an example, I feel the changes and additions made to TWOK actually tarnish what is a truly classic film. The extended Peter Preston scene in engineering for instance, with the "blind as a Tiberian bat" comment and suchlike, is pretty cringe-worthy - totally unnecessary and an obvious cut for both content and pacing.

Also, the alternate takes used are, for me, clearly inferior to the ones selected for the theatrical version. Dialogue delivery and acting performances don't quite hit the mark. Again, IMHO, it's very clear why they weren't originally chosen.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; May 15 2013 at 11:41 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The differences between the two extended versions are minor -- and, like you, I prefer the version on the 1-disc DVD-- but the differences between the two extended versions and the theatrical version are more dramatic. Colonel West is completely eliminated in the theatrical version and there are a few other scenes absent as well.
"This is not Klingon blood..."
Old May 16 2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

The theatrical cuts for me. Those are the versions I saw and fell in love with. Besides, the stuff added to TUC was distractingly awful; the Scooby-Doo ending to a plot that didn't make any sense (why put a human in a rubber mask when there are plenty of Klingons in on the plot?); Valeris sliding down that damned pole and hitting the rubber wall; "that Klingon bitch"; "Admiral Cartwright" BONNNNNG!. Totally ruined the film for me and I grew to hate it. Seriously. Then I saw the theatrical cut again and loved it. Those few minutes made all the difference. There was enough cheesy stuff in the movie, it didn't need any more.

Star Trek II: most of the additional scenes are pointless ("that young man, he's my son!" - pause until Spock enters frame - "faaaaaaascinating!"), but the Scotty stuff was great.

I will admit I like the DE of TMP better than any other version, but the theatrical still has great stuff the DE removed. It's still a favorite of mine.
Old May 16 2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Oso Blanco
Commodore

TMP: I strongly dislike the DE, and I'm thankful that the theatrical version has been released on BD. Although I would have preferred the SLV.

TWOK: I prefer the DE.

TUC: I think the first extended version is the best, although the picture quality on the DVD is crappy and it isn't anamorphic.
Old May 18 2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Aldo
Admiral

I grew up on TUC video cassette, so I saw the extended edition quite a bit. So recently when I borrowed the DVD version from the library, I expected to miss the extra scenes, I did not. It actually was a tighter film in that regard, not sure why they added those scenes back in the first place...

As for TWOK, I've watched the DC so much that I imagine I'd miss the extra footage, as in that film, I feel it does add to the over all flow of the film.
Old May 25 2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well I haven't seen TMP's theatrical version for years now so I can't compare with the one I have, but I prefer TWOK's special edition because there's some added character moments that I feel are missing from the theatrical cut.