Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 24 2013, 11:34 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Challenge of Trek 3

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Star Trek should be high concept, not cerebral if that makes sense.
People just aren't that interested in high-concept sci-fi on the big-screen right now. The time will likely come again we they will be, but I can enjoy Trek of either the high-concept or the action-adventure variety.
Old June 25 2013, 12:08 AM   #17
Lance
Fleet Captain

I'm still not 100% convinced Star Trek really belongs in movie theaters. Despite the presence of twelve movies providing evidence to the contrary. Its underlying concept was as a television series, and I think that it's on television that it has always had the most dramatic potential. On the other hand, its on the movie screen that it has always had the most revenue potential. So what can you do?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:13 AM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced Star Trek really belongs in movie theaters.
I think it does belong on the big-screen. But I think that many fans can't really see that the two different incarnations have different economic models. Because they have two different economic models, they have different storytelling objectives and are catered to different audiences.

Personally, I have no problem with Trek never returning to the small-screen.
Old June 25 2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Lance
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced Star Trek really belongs in movie theaters.
I think it does belong on the big-screen. But I think that many fans can't really see that the two different incarnations have different economic models. Because they have two different economic models, they have different storytelling objectives and are catered to different audiences.
I agree with you, as the rest of my (unquoted) post above indicated. Movies and television are dramatically different things, and people can't expect a movie to go after the same kind of audience as a television show. I disagree with the OP in that I do think movies can have depth, but they can't been ALL depth. It's a cake mix of different ingredients. And there are many Star Trek fans who just can't accept that, to them the franchise is one particular thing and they're very senstive to what they perceive as "dumbing down".

I accept Star Trek in many forms, but there is still a part of me (a wholely sentimental part?) that still thinks it was birthed of television and that television will always be its true "home". If that makes any sense.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:34 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

I accept Star Trek in many forms, but there is still a part of me (a wholely sentimental part?) that still thinks it was birthed of television and that television will always be its true "home". If that makes any sense.
It does.

But after seven-hundred plus episodes, I just ain't that eager for a return to TV (though I'd likely still watch if it came back ).
Old June 25 2013, 03:14 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

foxhot wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote:

''I think you're going to need to post some evidence that the folks who comprise "modern audiences" have more limited IQs than you do before any of this can be taken seriously.''

What better place to start than the weekly top-grossing US films for any given week since, say, 1990? You'll find SOME quality and a lot of something else...
I'm sorry, did you actually read what was posted? Your suggestion doesn't address the question at all.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 03:18 AM   #22
Silversmok3
Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Silversmok3 wrote: View Post

The dilemma the next creative team for Trek has is making a movie as smart as Inception was,without alienating a mass audience.
And why do you think these people have this dilemma? They've managed to make two successful Trek movies already. Why will the third be such a challenge?
Because they'll have to step up the cerebral aspect,while also preserving the action aspect .

That takes exceptional screenwriting skills,and I can easily see the creative team going too far in one direction or the other.
Old June 25 2013, 03:20 AM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Because they'll have to step up the cerebral aspect,while also preserving the action aspect .
No, they won't.
Old June 25 2013, 03:22 AM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome

That isn't an answer.

What reason do they have to do this? They could easily not and still make another successful movie.
Old June 25 2013, 06:04 PM   #25
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote:

''I think you're going to need to post some evidence that the folks who comprise "modern audiences" have more limited IQs than you do before any of this can be taken seriously.''

What better place to start than the weekly top-grossing US films for any given week since, say, 1990? You'll find SOME quality and a lot of something else...
I'm sorry, did you actually read what was posted? Your suggestion doesn't address the question at all.

Apology accepted.
Old June 26 2013, 03:36 AM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Either you still haven't read what was posted, or you're evading the fact that you don't have an on-point response. Neither would be surprising.
Old June 26 2013, 01:35 PM   #27
Belz...
Fleet Captain

As many of you already know,society has changed a great deal in the 30 years since The Motion Picture came out.And so has the traditional moviegoer.

Today the average Joe doesn't have the attention span for a movie like that.
I don't like the use of "attention span" in this case. Lack of patience, maybe. Preference for faster pace, maybe. But attention span deficit is a condition.

And your jab at the IQ of audiences is silly. People are not stupider today than they used to be.

Because they'll have to step up the cerebral aspect
How did you come to the conclusion that they'll "have to" do anything of the sort ?

Apology accepted.
Actually, I don't have a clue what you were talking about, either.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 02:14 PM   #28
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

As many of you already know,society has changed a great deal in the 30 years since The Motion Picture came out.And so has the traditional moviegoer.

Today the average Joe doesn't have the attention span for a movie like that.Us fans love nothing better then an in depth story of great sophistication combined with powerful action scenes.In the reel world (heh) such a movie would be a commercial flop.

There's a reason a flashy, jittercam Trek movie is so successful-because modern audiences have neither the attention span or the IQ required to address a deep plot.Look at Inception; a lot of people hated the movie because they couldn't grasp the plot,to say nothing of the deeper philosophical themes.

The dilemma the next creative team for Trek has is making a movie as smart as Inception was,without alienating a mass audience.Its no small challenge;the highest grossing movies in recent history like Avatar and Titanic have simplistic stories,thin characters,and more plot holes then ST First Contact.

I suppose the real question is if its even possible to make such a movie?
I think you are making a lot of assumptions, but I don't think everything you've assumed is completely untrue.

As for Star Trek 3, which I understand to be the 3rd movie of the rebooted group (after all, the first reboot movie as just entitled Star Trek, not Star Trek XI), I think they should try to make something that is an original story to this timeline that deals with these characters in a thoughtful and adult way.

It looks like there is a discussion to be had here if people want to participate, but that's just what I see.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote:

I think you'll find that's been pretty much constant throughout the history of film or any creative art.
"Ninety percent of everything is garbage." - Theodore Sturgeon (1956)
And that's 100% opinion.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 04:14 PM   #29
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And that's 100% opinion.
Not really. Most movies, novels, comics, plays, etc. have been low-quality for the last few thousand years.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #30
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And that's 100% opinion.
Not really. Most movies, novels, comics, plays, etc. have been low-quality for the last few thousand years.
Oh, and you've read and seen every single one to know that? Hmm?

What is and isn't "low-quality" is subjective, although general consensuses are possible among certain crowds in some cases. So, I'll just file your post under "100% opinion," too.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote