Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Vote away
Generations 24 19.05%
First Contact 7 5.56%
Insurrection 37 29.37%
Nemesis 58 46.03%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19 2013, 01:48 PM   #76
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: What is your least favourite TNG film

teacake wrote: View Post
I rewatch NEM more than INS because NEM's
INS has Picard's singing. Your argument is invalid .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:27 PM   #77
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

@the Stig: I agree with you on that Picard/Troi scene. However, I've never had the biggest problem with everything in the movie. Except for the ending. I am a much bigger fan of the original ending, part of the reason I requested it in the workprint thread.
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:49 AM   #78
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Nemesis, because it was the prime continuity committing suicide. Watching it in the theater was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. And then it flopped.
I remember being excited to go watch it. I was even spouting off to my coworkers at the time "I'm going to watch Nemesis! It's going to be kick ass!" Went with a good friend from work.

Then I saw it and slowly it became stupider and stupider.

"Why is there a damn dune buggy with wheels in this movie?"
"Does it use gasoline? so you know, you get the full nostalgic effect of driving an ancient vehicle"

"Where are the fucking Romulans? I was promised mother fucking Romulans! All I see is fucking vampires!"

"Why does B4 sound like he's got a broomstick up his ass?"

"Why is the goddamn set so dark?"

"Why is the Andromeda Ascendant showing up in a Star Trek movie? oh wait, it's the "Schimitar" and it's got a gazillion torpedo launchers and twice as many phaser banks, and like 8 layered shields "

And just kept getting progressively worse. Then Data died and I felt like I got kicked in the balls, and everyone was fucking depressed, and the entire movie ended this way.

My buddy goes to me "wow, next week when LOTR - 2 Towers comes out, this movie will disappear completely off the radar"

And he was right. When LOTR came out a week later, Nemesis was done.
Old July 26 2013, 03:25 AM   #79
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I voted for Nemesis. I just remember how tired the cast looked and how tired I was at the whole proceeding when I watched it. I bought it on DVD and it improved slightly after subsequent viewings, though I still think it was such a misfire that it remains the least enjoyable of the TNG films for me.

Insurrection wasn't perfect. I think the forced comedy didn't work for the most part, though some jokes did. And while Insurrection felt a bit light it wasn't dealing with light subject matter and I thought the Son'a had potential, especially their cool warships. I preferred using them instead of Nemesis giving us a Romulan movie where the Romulans took a backseat to the Remans. I didn't hate the Remans, but I wish the Romulans had been front and center.

My TNG rankings:
1. First Contact
2. Generations
3. Insurrection
4. Nemesis
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 02:51 PM   #80
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Remans made no sense to me. They just spring out of no where but everyone seems to know about them. Are they an offshoot of the Romulans? Were they native to the Romulus and then uprooted? Why is Remus considered the joint homeworld if its just a dumping ground for space-vampires and deadly weapons? (Plus wouldn't the Romulans have learned from Praxis to move that kinda stuff far away from their homeworld?)

It would have been better if they'd been dropped and there was a greater focus on the Romulans, they are a complex enough race to have a political coup on their own.
Old July 26 2013, 03:30 PM   #81
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Fully agreed with those sentiments. Diane Duane should've been invited to write it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:03 PM   #82
energize6
Ensign

All the TNG films except for one have a huge glaring flaw that will distract me. First Contact contradicts previous Borg logic and makes them less threatening just so we could have Picard act like a maniac wielding a phaser. Insurrection is pretty boring. I find it more boring than The Motion Picture (even though I really like TMP) because at least with TMP, there was something interesting happening when the movie didn't slow down. I also find it a little uncomfortable knowing that Picard didn't even try to save Ru'afo and instead say a dumb one-liner. Nemesis is hilarious. I mean I can't even get upset with it because it makes me laugh. It is so stupid and while watching it, I inadvertently scratch my head at certain points. Shinzon is such a non-threatening and funny villain that there is no way I can ever watch the movie and go "this is intriguing." I watch it as a comedy. The absolute worst of the bunch is Generations. Generations straight up makes me bad. I mean, not in the same way that Abrams films make me want to throw a chair but Generations is pretty awful. It's just scene after scene of sheer stupidity. I hate knowing that The Undiscovered Country had such an amazing ending and a fitting way to put to rest the original series that every time I watch it, I leave with a great feeling. Generations screwed that up. I mean not even just with the original series but even with TNG. I guess they were too nervous to make their own stand alone movie so they played it safe. From the nitpicky moments like how they changed Data's emotion chip to the really stupid moments like Kirk's infamous burial beneath a couple rocks just frustrates me as a whole. It's not like Nemesis where I can just go "alright, this is stupid but at least I can have fun making fun of it." Every time I think about it, I get a headache thinking of all these individual moments that they dropped the ball on. If I had to rate them, however from worst to "best" if you can really call it the "best..."

1. Generations
2. First Contact
3. Insurrection
4. Nemesis
energize6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:47 PM   #83
Smellmet
Captain

Insurrection tied with Generations for me, the former just reeked of cost cutting throughout, and was just a below average TNG episode stretched over 2 hours. It had it's moments, but these were mainly humour based, whilst welcome I didn't pay to watch a comedy.

Generations was just an all-round mess plot-wise. but at least had a couple of decent sequances (enterprise B and the E crash) and felt more like a big screen adventure (at least for 1994) but the plot holes as described earlier in this thread killed the film for me, at least compared to my favourite Treks. There was just no need for Kirk to be in it, as the above post says, the end of 6 was a perfect send off for the crew, they should have just made a standalone TNG film
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 10:36 PM   #84
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Generations mainly for two things:-
1. Managing to make two legendary captains meeting rather dull.
2. Killing off Kirk in such an offhanded way.

Then there's the emotion chip, the Enterprise being beaten by an old Bird of Prey, the TV like scripting etc.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:43 AM   #85
Dream
Admiral

Glad to see Nemesis and Insurrection in first and second places in the poll.

For all of Generations' flaws, it sure looks pretty and the plot doesn't annoy me much like Insurrection's plot does.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:05 PM   #86
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Belz... wrote: View Post
Trek movies don't usually do much for the timeline, you have to admit.
I don't need a TNG movie to advance the timeline in a major way, but for a movie, there do need to be major stakes for the crew. The only thing at stake for our crew in "Insurrection" were Picard's feelings -- at least until late in the film.

I picked "Insurrection," but "Nemesis" could have been worse -- I've only seen the movie once on DVD and don't really remember much about it, other than it was garbage. "Generations" I feel had the most potential, but the entire story collapses when the character setups (Kirk desires to be out of retirement and back in the action; Picard begins to long for a life he forfeited) don't match the payoffs (nah, what Kirk really wants is a quiet retirement; Picard wants to get back in the action). Absolutely criminal writing by Moore and Braga.

It's hard to pick the worst of four stinkeroos.
Old August 13 2013, 10:53 PM   #87
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Nemesis, because it was the prime continuity committing suicide. Watching it in the theater was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. And then it flopped.
I remember being excited to go watch it. I was even spouting off to my coworkers at the time "I'm going to watch Nemesis! It's going to be kick ass!" Went with a good friend from work.

Then I saw it and slowly it became stupider and stupider.

"Why is there a damn dune buggy with wheels in this movie?"
"Does it use gasoline? so you know, you get the full nostalgic effect of driving an ancient vehicle"

"Where are the fucking Romulans? I was promised mother fucking Romulans! All I see is fucking vampires!"

"Why does B4 sound like he's got a broomstick up his ass?"

"Why is the goddamn set so dark?"

"Why is the Andromeda Ascendant showing up in a Star Trek movie? oh wait, it's the "Schimitar" and it's got a gazillion torpedo launchers and twice as many phaser banks, and like 8 layered shields "

And just kept getting progressively worse. Then Data died and I felt like I got kicked in the balls, and everyone was fucking depressed, and the entire movie ended this way.

My buddy goes to me "wow, next week when LOTR - 2 Towers comes out, this movie will disappear completely off the radar"

And he was right. When LOTR came out a week later, Nemesis was done.
I absolutely loved this entire post as Nemesis is my least favorite movie. I'm sitting at my computer laughing my ass off reading this. Thank you very much.

My main reason for having Nemesis as my least favorite is that Data dies. Data was the man! B4 really isn't a good substitute. But I do admit that Picard driving the land rover thing was hilarious.
Now I absolutely love Insurrection, it's my hands down favorite movie.
Old August 20 2013, 12:48 AM   #88
austen_pierce
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it's First Contact. Loved the opening part with the Battle of Sector 001, but the sudden switch to a time travel story really blows it for me. I think they missed an opportunity to do a big-scale, galaxy-spanning story that would have made "Best of Both Worlds" look tame in comparison, IMO (for those who have read the post-TNG novels, we ultimately got that with the Destiny trilogy).
Agree, Destiny should have been the plot for First Contact.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:11 AM   #89
jpv2000
Captain

I like Insurrection the least, but really enjoy all of them. Nemesis is my favorite.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:28 AM   #90
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Nemesis is my favorite and Insurrection is the worst. It is a toss up with Generations and First Contact.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote