RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,086
Posts: 5,398,802
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 467
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2013, 04:20 AM   #256
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Alternatively in a year, you could have forgotten how much you disliked Under the Dome because there's something quite new and more horrible at the forefront of your attention.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:51 AM   #257
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Alternatively in a year, you could have forgotten how much you disliked Under the Dome because there's something quite new and more horrible at the forefront of your attention.
Let's hope it's not Almost Human!
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:28 PM   #258
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Oh boy, a fight club episode next week. Its become a television staple, especially on genre shows.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:11 PM   #259
The Keeper
Commodore
 
The Keeper's Avatar
 
Location: Where reality ends and illusion begins
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Spoiler alert!
















They Killed "Sonny" Those bastards!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:17 PM   #260
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

So last night's episode shows that this shouldn't have been given another season, based on the fact they don't have enough subject material to draw decent stories from.

The whole fight club thing is just stupid as was Julia's "Oh it's okay you killed my husband" to Barbie. The Maxine character popping up out of nowhere, Big Jim killing someone every week and then managing to cover it up to both himself and everyone else. Even the dialogue is piss poor *banging head of desk because I keep watching*

This show needs a "Smash"-like firing of the writing staff.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 12:58 PM   #261
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Danny99 wrote: View Post
So last night's episode shows that this shouldn't have been given another season, based on the fact they don't have enough subject material to draw decent stories from.
Well, we had 7 years of ST Voyager travelling through the Delta Quadrant - holo episodes and all.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 07:40 PM   #262
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
So last night's episode shows that this shouldn't have been given another season, based on the fact they don't have enough subject material to draw decent stories from.
Well, we had 7 years of ST Voyager travelling through the Delta Quadrant - holo episodes and all.

Except that Voyager was never an arc show. Easier to keep the concept going if you don't have any reason beyond the setting for things to move forward.

I agree that last night's episode revealed things that would make a second season difficult. When they revealed a major plot point to the characters, you get a distinct feeling of things coming to a close. At this point, I'm not sure how they could do a second season unless they reveal a completely new villain for next season and involve more of the outside.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:18 PM   #263
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Except that Voyager was never an arc show. Easier to keep the concept going if you don't have any reason beyond the setting for things to move forward.

I agree that last night's episode revealed things that would make a second season difficult. When they revealed a major plot point to the characters, you get a distinct feeling of things coming to a close. At this point, I'm not sure how they could do a second season unless they reveal a completely new villain for next season and involve more of the outside.
i was just being a smartass about Voyager. But in all seriousness they even had trouble with new ideas and had to bring back the Borg to make it interesting again - or at least try.

Regarding Under the Dome. I agree with everyone that season 2 is going to be tough to find any decent material to make it interesting. As you say - perhaps what's happening outside the dome may fuel a few episodes.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:52 PM   #264
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Seems like the show is picking up... "a" pace. Not a fast one, not a GOOD one but at least something a bit better than Small Town Crisis of the Week. You also win no points if you guessed Junior McRapey was the fourth hand on the smaller "dome" (which is not exactly a dome, Mr. Whizkid. You'd think they'd look at this thing that is very obviously a SPHERE and assume the same about the "dome" they are in. But our characters are not very bright.)
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:21 PM   #265
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Except that Voyager was never an arc show. Easier to keep the concept going if you don't have any reason beyond the setting for things to move forward.

I agree that last night's episode revealed things that would make a second season difficult. When they revealed a major plot point to the characters, you get a distinct feeling of things coming to a close. At this point, I'm not sure how they could do a second season unless they reveal a completely new villain for next season and involve more of the outside.
i was just being a smartass about Voyager. But in all seriousness they even had trouble with new ideas and had to bring back the Borg to make it interesting again - or at least try.
Ahh, I can see what you meant. You make a good point about the Borg. And then they were overused. If it were made today, I think it would at least have a hint of a story arc going on in the background.

Regarding Under the Dome. I agree with everyone that season 2 is going to be tough to find any decent material to make it interesting. As you say - perhaps what's happening outside the dome may fuel a few episodes.
Yeah, and come to think of it, and I'm not sure about the book, but beyond what we did see of the outside, I'd have liked to have seen more of what's going on outside from an outside perspective. What's happening out there? Are there any efforts to find out what's happening with the dome? Since the bomb, there doesn't seem to be any active effort. It makes it feel like the dome's the only thing that has survived the blast, but there's more to the world than that. Where's the President jumping into action?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:28 PM   #266
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Maybe they can change the name of the show every season, kinda like Spartacus.

Season 1: Under the Dome
Season 2: Inside the Sphere
Season 3: Wait it's a Chrysalis?
Season 4: Nevermind, Turtles All the Way Down
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:14 PM   #267
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Danny99 wrote: View Post
So last night's episode shows that this shouldn't have been given another season, based on the fact they don't have enough subject material to draw decent stories from.

The whole fight club thing is just stupid as was Julia's "Oh it's okay you killed my husband" to Barbie. The Maxine character popping up out of nowhere, Big Jim killing someone every week and then managing to cover it up to both himself and everyone else. Even the dialogue is piss poor *banging head of desk because I keep watching*

This show needs a "Smash"-like firing of the writing staff.
Yeah I was okay with the fairly simplistic writing early on (thanks to the good performances and the fairly fast moving storyline), but now with the cartoonishly-evil Maxine character and some of the ridiculous crises that keep popping up in town, the show's starting to get a little too silly for my taste.

Although still, it's a lot more engaging that the generic Revolution or Falling Skies, at least.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:02 AM   #268
FreezeC77
Commodore
 
FreezeC77's Avatar
 
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

My opinion on this show has changed drastically since S2 was announced. When I came into this I thought it was basically a summer long mini-series with an ending to the show due at the end of the summer. I was willing to overlook some sloppy writing because I was happy to see the good ratings as I *WANT* to see more American TV go to a 1-season only storytelling type format like you find in some TV shows from other countries.

Being able to watch a 12 episode to maybe 24 episode SERIES where you get a conclusion to the show at the end would interest me a lot. Too much of the non-episodic TV nowadays is just pumped full of filler in order to make the season episode count and get the show to the following year. I've watched a lot of shows from the UK, Korea, Japan, etc... where all the show ever had was one season which told the entire story of the characters and then it ended.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:27 AM   #269
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
My opinion on this show has changed drastically since S2 was announced. When I came into this I thought it was basically a summer long mini-series with an ending to the show due at the end of the summer. I was willing to overlook some sloppy writing because I was happy to see the good ratings as I *WANT* to see more American TV go to a 1-season only storytelling type format like you find in some TV shows from other countries.

Being able to watch a 12 episode to maybe 24 episode SERIES where you get a conclusion to the show at the end would interest me a lot. Too much of the non-episodic TV nowadays is just pumped full of filler in order to make the season episode count and get the show to the following year. I've watched a lot of shows from the UK, Korea, Japan, etc... where all the show ever had was one season which told the entire story of the characters and then it ended.

Yep, this definitely feels more like miniseries material compared to a full series. I don't know where they got the idea for a second season. I think they may have jumped the gun there and trapped themselves into a corner.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:56 AM   #270
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

It's wierd trying to sell this show to my friends...

"You should watch this."

"Is it any good?"

"No."

"NO? Then why should I watch it?"

"Because it's really similar to a lot of shows that were good."
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
stephen king, under the dome

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.