Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Snick27
Captain

The Worlds End movie

Just got back from watch the Worlds End and wondering if anyone else has too?

I don't see anything thread about this movie but if there is and I missed it then please merge.

"20 years after attempting an epic pub crawl, five childhood friends reunite when one of them becomes hellbent on trying the drinking marathon again. They are convinced to stage an encore by Gary King, a 40-year-old man trapped at the cigarette end of his teens, who drags his reluctant pals to their hometown and once again attempts to reach the fabled pub - The World's End. As they attempt to reconcile the past and present, they realize the real struggle is for the future, not just theirs but humankind's. Reaching The World's End is the least of their worries."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__1Y-N5tQk
Old September 15 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: The Worlds End movie

Crappy cop-out ending that undercut the emotional threads that drove the film.

Shame really, as I really loved it up until the climax. It was like the final words of The Network were coming directly from the writers.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Not nearly as good as Shaun or Hot Fuzz.
Old September 15 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
John Clark
Commodore

I thought it was ok, but much preferred Shaun and Hot Fuzz.
Old September 15 2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

I was wondering where the thread for this film was. I really enjoyed it. An effective SF comedy that, like the best SF comedies, works as an SF story in its own right rather than just using SF trappings as the butt of jokes.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Crappy cop-out ending that undercut the emotional threads that drove the film.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. That ending arose directly from the emotional arc of the film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

Hot Fuzz > World's End > Shaun Dead

You can really see how Wright's fight scene choreography has improved after making Scott Pilgrim. The fight scenes were quite impressive with different fights in the foreground and background.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought it had it's moments, and I liked it a lot more than Hot Fuzz, but ultimately it still didn't feel nearly as inspired as Shaun of the Dead.

I do agree the movie's themes and characters were well thought out though. And Pegg did a good job playing a character who was fun while also being quite sad and pathetic at the same time.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Snick27
Captain

Domestic: $23,986,000 58.7%
+ Foreign: $16,900,000 41.3%
=Worldwide: $40,886,000

Production Budget: $20 million

Ending part with Gary in the bars with his new gang made me feel Gary didn't grow up and was still trying to live in the past.

Movie was very funny and to me a lot better than any of the Hangover movies.
Shame more people don't go see this, as on a Saturday night only 4 other people where in the theater and a older couple was there too but walked out about 15 mins into the movie.
Old September 15 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
ITL
Vice Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Ending part with Gary in the bars with his new gang made me feel Gary didn't grow up and was still trying to live in the past.
Here's an excerpt from a Pegg approved analysis that I found interesting:
For one thing heís sober, and ordering water in a bar full of big guys in war paint shows that he has come around to Andyís way of thinking way back at The First Post. Thatís a big step. But the bigger step is his friendship with the blank versions of his friends. Some people have been confused by this - isnít Gary still living in the past? The reality is that Garyís fixation on 1990 wasnít the problem, it was a symptom. Thereís nothing inherently wrong with still listening to the same music from your best years. Garyís problem wasnít that he was living in the past, he was looking to the past as an escape from responsibility. The source of his schism with Andy wasnít the accident, it was the fact that Gary ran away when Andy needed him the most. It was his total rejection of responsibility, the way he can never be wrong. Throughout the movie Gary is not there for his friends, whether it be ignoring Peter during his speech about the bully or running away to the next pub at the end. In the final moments of the film Gary King has grown into the leader that he always fancied himself to be because he finally understands that he needs to stick with his friends.

Ordering that water is a big deal. Fighting for his friends - thatís the true measure of Garyís growth. What I really like about this is that Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg have eschewed a cookie cutter idea of responsibilty and maturation. Gary doesnít have to settle down and have a family like Pete and Andy, he doesnít need to excel in business like O-Man, and he doesnít need to discover true love and live small like Steve. There are many ways to live your life, The Worldís End says, and the important thing is how you live that life.

Why the blanks, though? On one level yes, they represent Garyís friends from a better time. But in a larger sense they represent taking responsibility for his actions. Gary didnít just send the world back to the Dark Ages, he has stranded these not-quite-robots in a world that doesnít want them. He canít fix the world, and he canít save all the blanks, but he can take responsibility for this group in a way that he never could with his real friends. He got them into this situation, and heís going to stick with them until the end.

And so all of that - the robots and The Network and the apocalyptic finale - speak to the humanity at the heart of The Worldís End. The movie rejects the Disneyfication of Times Square, but it also acknowledges that the seedier version of that intersection had lots of problems. Itís hopeful in its own way, as itís saying that even when you are at your worst - even when youíve hit alcoholic rock bottom - you can still wake up in the morning and make the best of it. Itís not the most sweepingly romantic concept of all time, but itís real and itís true. Gary King is 40 years old and this is the world heís made. Now heís going to live in it the best man he can be.
Full article.
Old September 15 2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

^I agree completely with that analysis. Sure, on the surface, Gary was still going to bars with his friends, but the meaning of that act was profoundly different. He wasn't doing it to hide from life and indulge his selfish urges, he was doing it to take a stand against bigotry and fight to make the world better for other people. And I love it that the protagonist of the film became a champion for the rights of the villains of the film. The blanks weren't demonized, but were just other people with their own different agendas and goals, and whatever the leadership may have done wrong, the ordinary people still had their rights. It's a lot less simplistic than what you'd get in a lot of films.

And yeah, hanging out with the blanks of his high-school friends is about responsibility. Those blanks exist because they were created for his benefit, as temptations. They're his fantasy of the past brought to life. They exist because of him, and are in a sense his children. So he's taken responsibility for them.

Old September 15 2013, 11:11 PM   #11
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

sojourner wrote: View Post
Not nearly as good as Shaun or Hot Fuzz.
Yeah, I enjoyed it, but ultimately I prefer Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead.
Old September 16 2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

I thought the fight scenes were starting to get tedious by the end, but I otherwise really enjoyed it. I know this has been billed as a loose trilogy, but I wouldn't mind at all if Wright, Pegg, and Frost kept getting together every few years to do one of these. They've all been a lot of fun.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Laughed my butt off, even during the fight scenes...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Harvey wrote: View Post
I thought the fight scenes were starting to get tedious by the end, but I otherwise really enjoyed it.
The fights were the main thing that bugged me. One, how did this bunch of suburban schlubs know how to fight like Hong Kong action stars, and two, how did they still have the coordination to fight like that after seven pubs?

Also, the blanks were really fragile. Hard to see how their bodies were meant to be improvements on the human form. Although I guess they were a lot easier to repair.

Old September 17 2013, 02:26 AM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I thought that the fighting sequences were obviously meant to be exaggerated to the point where they forced you to ask how are these people fighting like this? That was probably the point of them.

As for the film...I enjoyed it quite a bit. "Hot Fuzz" is my favourite of the trilogy, but this was very good, and Steven Price's score is excellent.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote