RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 565
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 10 2013, 03:13 AM   #1
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Which alien species from Trek do you most identify with? And why?

I'll start:

Vulcans.

I am a logical person, but this is not why I identify with Vulcans. Vulcans are thoroughly misunderstood, in every instance. Their lack of emotion is interpreted through an obscure emotional prism. Often people (incorrectly) assume that Vulcans simply don't care. They care. They just remain clear-headed regardless. I am not emotional to a great degree. And this often leads to people misunderstanding me. I care, but I simply prefer to remain detached.

What species do YOU identify with the most?
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:17 AM   #2
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
I don't know that there's a single species with whom I most identify. Like yourself, I'm an extremely logical and analytical person, so I can empathize with Vulcans; however, I also feel a strong sense of pride in my career and believe strongly in the idea of service to a cause greater than oneself, which any Romulan character would appreciate.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 04:02 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

At times I can be Vulcan like in my ability to put aside my emotions. I can also have the single-minded drive of a Jem'Hadar. I also have money-saving techniques which could make me the envy of any Ferengi.
Old June 10 2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Third Nacelle
Captain

Vulcan/Risian hybrid. I'm often detached from my emotions, but I'm always a big fan of the jamaharon.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

If you identify with an amalgamation of species (two or more) by all means express yourself.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 05:04 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Bajorans.

I tend to get really emotionally involved in politics. I'm not spiritual like they are, but I can absolutely identify with feeling powerless against governments controlling my fate for their own interests.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Humans.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:37 AM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say I lean slightly towards Vulcan. I try and keep my emotions in check. Tend to be ruled by my head more than my heart. Though that doesn't mean I'm like that all of the time.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Sran wrote: View Post
Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
I don't know that there's a single species with whom I most identify. Like yourself, I'm an extremely logical and analytical person, so I can empathize with Vulcans; however, I also feel a strong sense of pride in my career and believe strongly in the idea of service to a cause greater than oneself, which any Romulan character would appreciate.

--Sran
You will be a terrible person if you get a lot of promtions.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Portal
Commander

What an interesting question. I think I most identify with Betazoids. I can be quite emotional at times, even eccentric. And I often enjoy indulging in culinary delicacies.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Sran
Fleet Captain

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. A promotion would offer greater responsibility and influence with which to help others; therefore, it would be only logical that I make the most of such an opportunity.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 05:45 PM   #12
RXTT
Lieutenant

Q continuum

RXTT.NET
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Crazyewok
Commander

Romulan.

Can be very controlled and logical but then flip to be very emotional and passionate.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Sran wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. A promotion would offer greater responsibility and influence with which to help others; therefore, it would be only logical that I make the most of such an opportunity.

--Sran
Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Sran
Fleet Captain

Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?
They're portrayed that way, but most of Star Trek is written from the perspective of humanity. As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.

--Sran