Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 25 2013, 08:33 PM   #16
JoeD80
Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x22 "Shades of Gray"

I'm can understand the playful Maurice Hurley bashing, but Richard Manning & Hans Beimler have writing credits on this one too.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

I'm sure they're all pretty ashamed of it. I understand that it was filmed on significantly truncated schedule, but that's not much of an excuse for the flabby framing story. This was the end of the season, so there was probably a little less time to work on the script, but it's not like there was another WGA-strike like there had been at the end of season one which prevented some re-writes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Dale Sams
Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Hey guys remember that time we were talking about Shades of Grey and Lokai said,

I just don't get the all out hate this episode apparently engenders? It's certainly no classic, but as far as clip shows go - I find it perfectly enjoyable. Indeed, it's actually quite a bit better than other season 2 entries such as "Manhunt" and "Up The Long Ladder".
Umm, what point are you trying to make with this post? Do you disagree with my opinion? Are you trying (and failing) to be "smart"?
Would someone care to explain the joke there to Lokai? After all "White on right, not too bright".
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:16 PM   #19
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Hey guys remember that time we were talking about Shades of Grey and Lokai said,
Umm, what point are you trying to make with this post? Do you disagree with my opinion? Are you trying (and failing) to be "smart"?
Would someone care to explain the joke there to Lokai? After all "White on right, not too bright".
Perhaps you should have made your joke a little clearer - more black and white possibly!! I'm clearly not bright enough to pick up on such nuance. Regardless, I doff my cap to your wit and superior intellect.
Old June 26 2013, 01:27 AM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Worst episode ever.

Clip shows are beneath Star Trek. Except for this episode.

But some clip shows at least make sense. 'Happy memories make sick!' Bleck.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 01:38 AM   #21
Mojochi
Commodore

Using the footage from The Cage for The Menagerie is actually incredibly crafty for a clip show
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:40 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Menagerie was a reuse of old footage, but it wasn't really a clip show. Nobody had seen The Cage when it came out.

If the Cage was originally released to the public as the pilot and THEN they did The Menagerie, it would be a clip show.
Old June 26 2013, 05:03 AM   #23
Mojochi
Commodore

similar principle, fiscally speaking, & still really crafty
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 11:35 AM   #24
Trek Survivor
Captain

This episode doesn't deserve all the hate. It's no way the worst episode of TNG (have you guys not seen "Code Of Honour" or "Justice"!?!). American TV series always seem to do clip shows e.g. A-Team, Frasier, Friends, Simpsons - seems like an accepted part of the medium over there.

As clip shows goes, at least this doesn't go the predictable, boring route of "oh, character X might be leaving, remember all the good times we had together...". There's a sci-fi-ish nature to the reasoning behind it.

We get some nice Riker/Troi bits and Pulaski is always good mileage.

Nobody is going to argue that SoG deserves a spot in anyone's top 10 or anything, but it's nowhere near a "travesty" as many would have us believe...
Old June 29 2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I've always thought the big lazy here was not looking for any interesting deleted scenes or bits with Riker from previous episodes so the flashbacks wouldn't necessarily have been all footage we'd seen before.

I suspect the real reason for shooting a clip show wasn't to to save costs in the manner of a bottle show, but to make a show that could be filmed in only a few days: it wasn't just about cast and costumes and sets, but days of costs associated with running the full crew.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:02 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Okay, I'll give you Code of Honour, but yes, Shades of Grey is even worse than Justice.

No show is better than TNG at doing money saving bottle episodes. Disaster is one of the series best. Because in most of TNG's bottle episodes they put create effort into the story. Shades of Grey was a total lack of effort.
Old July 1 2013, 02:02 AM   #27
Dream
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Okay, I'll give you Code of Honour, but yes, Shades of Grey is even worse than Justice.

No show is better than TNG at doing money saving bottle episodes. Disaster is one of the series best. Because in most of TNG's bottle episodes they put create effort into the story. Shades of Grey was a total lack of effort.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bottle_show

If you go by those lists, TNG and DS9 had the best bottle episodes.

VOY and ENT had the worst.
Old July 2 2013, 02:43 AM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I suspect the real reason for shooting a clip show wasn't to to save costs in the manner of a bottle show, but to make a show that could be filmed in only a few days: it wasn't just about cast and costumes and sets, but days of costs associated with running the full crew.
Rob Bowman says as much in the book Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages.

It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary, Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:55 PM   #29
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Perhaps you should have made your joke a little clearer - more black and white possibly!! I'm clearly not bright enough to pick up on such nuance. Regardless, I doff my cap to your wit and superior intellect.
He was reminiscing about something that just happened, as if trying to turn the thread itself into a clip show. Kind of clever, but maybe a little too subtle. It might have worked better if he'd used a selection of quotes from previous EOTW threads.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:46 AM   #30
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I must be "white on the right".

Captrek wrote: View Post
It might have worked better if he'd used a selection of quotes from previous EOTW threads.
That would have worked better but I think it would have still gone right over my head.