Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 24 2013, 10:50 PM   #46
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Reading last chapter first

I used to like read the first sentences of the last chapter, or at times the last few sentences in a book back when I was a teen. Spoiled a bit of Harry Potter for myself that way.

These days, never. Why? I'll let this quote from the opening post help me demonstrate it:

Annie also notes that perhaps one reason she always reads the end first is because “my life is so full of unknowns that to truly escape I have to know exactly where I’m headed.”
The unknown is the whole fucking POOOOIIIIIINNNNNTTTTT!!!!!!

Yes, it's about the end, but more often it's about the journey! I love not knowing what will happen. Why read the book if I know how it ends? And yes, I know I just said the journey is more often the point, but if I know the end of the journey the first time around, I rarely seem to enjoy the journey as much.

I have reread books, yes, and enjoyed them more the second time around. Just like I've seen my favorite movie about 40 times. And I keep finding more stuff to enjoy in that movie.

Bottom line: I love storytelling. In any form. A well told story is an awe inspiring thing. I don't care if it's simple, if it's told well I love it. Probably a reason why I'm so fond of mythology.
Old June 25 2013, 12:31 AM   #47
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^The point is that I, and many others, enjoy the unpaved road. It's fun not to know where you're going. It's also fun to know, but a different sort of fun. Is it really so hard to understand that one might prefer the former adventure to the latter? Or that one might sometimes be in the mood for an apple, and other times be in the mood for an orange?
It's not hard to understand. I think we understand each other just fine. Reading a book unspoiled is the unpaved road; reading a book spoiled is the known destination.
Yes...that is the metaphor I just used.
We're all on the same page, so to speak.
I assumed so, but your effort in arguing otherwise prior to this post was what prompted my response.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:35 AM   #48
Pavonis
Commodore

Yes, I repeated your metaphor to emphasize that I understood you.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:39 AM   #49
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Congrats?

View my art!
Old June 25 2013, 01:11 AM   #50
Pavonis
Commodore

Thanks? I sense an unnecessary argument coming on...what did I say to antagonize you?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:31 AM   #51
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Thanks? I sense an unnecessary argument coming on...what did I say to antagonize you?
It was the intentionally obtuse attitude that was really getting on my nerves.

I've had a shitty day and something that normally wouldn't have annoyed me so much just did. I apologize for being catty with you, though, you didn't deserve it.

View my art!
Old June 25 2013, 02:48 AM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't read the last chapter first, no.

I did used to work in a movie theater (my first job) and as part of my duties, I would have to hang around at the end of every movie so as to deal with the crowds. So I ended up seeing the end of every movie before I could get to it myself!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:02 AM   #53
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
Obviously in When Harry Met Sally Harry used to read the end of a book just in case he died while he was reading it.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.
I've never read the last chapter first, it just kills any suspense built up from the rest of the book.
Old June 26 2013, 08:23 AM   #54
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Reading the end first saves a lot of time. I hate it when main characters are wasted or when the characters journey goes nowhere. That goes especially for long running TV shows that I haven't seen yet and am about to watch. I always check first if it's worth investing precious time on it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:46 PM   #55
Brit
Captain

I always read the last few pages before I purchase a book. I like to know where the author is going before I invest time or money. While I know that many times authors are anticipating the reader's surprise (and actually working hard to construct it), I don't think that many understand that the book they imagine never matches what springs into the reader's imagination when they read his/her book.

Marion Zimmer Bradley used to tell the writer's that she mentored, that the book the writer writes is not the book the reader reads.

I think it's kind of the same as riding roller-coasters, some people crave the excitement, the exhilaration, and other's don't at all because their emotions don't match those of the people that do love roller-coasters.

According to an estimation I saw, as many as 40% of readers admit to reading the ending first. That's a pretty hefty minority.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:38 PM   #56
J.T.B.
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Reading the end first saves a lot of time. I hate it when main characters are wasted or when the characters journey goes nowhere. That goes especially for long running TV shows that I haven't seen yet and am about to watch. I always check first if it's worth investing precious time on it.
How can you evaluate the character's journey without reading the whole story?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:03 PM   #57
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I don't read the last chapter first.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:02 PM   #58
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
If the plot for example is "character fights to survive" and eventually dies, there's no point for me reading it.

If Lord of the Rings ended with Frodo failing and Sauron winning, I'd thrown the book away.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:09 PM   #59
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^That is extremely stupid.

View my art!
Old June 27 2013, 07:02 PM   #60
J.T.B.
Commodore

If the plot for example is "character fights to survive" and eventually dies, there's no point for me reading it.

If Lord of the Rings ended with Frodo failing and Sauron winning, I'd thrown the book away.
How would you even know what the plot is supposed to be? It seems pretty presumptuous to assume that reading the end of the book is sufficient to make an informed judgment about everything that went before. For example, if you read just the end of Moby Dick, how would you know how much of what happened was Ahab's fault?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote