TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 24 2013, 07:08 PM   #31
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Reading last chapter first

^ Yeah, I'm not suggesting anyone should do otherwise. Purely a personal choice.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:14 PM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I couldn't live in a world where I couldn't reread books! I've read many of my favorites at least twice, often ten or fifteen times, and, as I said, in the case of my favorite, over a hundred!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:28 PM   #33
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Wow, I can't even fathom reading the same thing 100 times! But, that's cool. I couldn't live in world I had to reread books that many time! I don't generally rewatch movies or TV series either. Or, at least not until a decade or more later when it's almost new again. (And the time commitment to watch something is shorter than rereading something.)

I did read the Scarlet Pimpernel twice. I love that book. And, I made exception because it's one of my favorites, I didn't fully understand the historical context the first time I read in Junior High, and lots of time passed! But, that's about it!
Old June 24 2013, 07:33 PM   #34
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Last chapter thing? I did it with DS9. Kinda ruined my enjoyment of it. Not with books or anything else, though.
Old June 24 2013, 08:08 PM   #35
Pavonis
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ It would have to even if you're a fast reader. You've only got a finite amount of time to read so any time you spend rereading a book can't be spent towards reading a new book.

Not suggesting that you shouldn't reread (sounds like you have good reasons to), but it does in fact cut into your time to to read new books.
Everything cuts into my time to read. Sleeping, eating, showering, etc., are all non-reading time. It's unbearable! On the whole, I read more new books than I re-read old ones. In 2012, I read twenty new books, and re-read only two. I've got a stack of fifty or so unread books in my pile to get through before my wife will allow me to purchase new books for light reading; I figure I'll get through them in a couple of years.

Sometimes, when browsing in a bookstore, I'll pick up a book and read the last pages in front my wife, just because it perplexes her. I recently did it with the last Wheel of Time book, which I won't pick up until it's in paperback. Not only have I not read the last book of WoT yet, I've not read the two before it, either. So now I know how it ends, but have no real idea of how things ended up that way.

Basically, it's the journey, not the destination, that's important for me. Is a road trip less fun for knowing where you're going to end up?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Definitely a valid way to look at it. As for trips, I'm the same way that I'm with books. I travel A LOT, particularly internationally. I'd generally rather go to a new place than revisit an old place. However, I make more exceptions for travel because even if you revisit the same city in a particular country, you're bound to see new sights. So, for me, that's how it differs from books. (But, I do understand that rereading can give you and others great pleasure so again, it's just a personal preference.)

Mr Awe
Old June 24 2013, 08:22 PM   #37
Pavonis
Commodore

I wasn't comparing new books to visiting new cities. I was comparing knowing the ending of a book to knowing where you're going on a trip. If I set out to drive to LA, I know where I'm going to end up, therefore I'm spoiled on the ending, but the trip is still worth taking.
Old June 24 2013, 08:42 PM   #38
J.T.B.
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I did read the Scarlet Pimpernel twice. I love that book. And, I made exception because it's one of my favorites, I didn't fully understand the historical context the first time I read in Junior High, and lots of time passed! But, that's about it!
That's what can be so rewarding. Re-reading a great book can really change your perspective and make you remember what you used to be like and how you have changed. Reading The Grapes of Wrath in school at 17 was a completely different experience than when I read it with a wife, family and 20 years of working behind me. There are a number of books I've revisited over the years and each time it is a very interesting and revealing experience.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 09:00 PM   #39
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I wasn't comparing new books to visiting new cities. I was comparing knowing the ending of a book to knowing where you're going on a trip. If I set out to drive to LA, I know where I'm going to end up, therefore I'm spoiled on the ending, but the trip is still worth taking.
Same thing. You know where you going to end up, but in a city as vast as LA, you'll be able to see very different things. So, in that case, the ending is what you see/do in LA, and that can be extremely different each time you go. It's as if the ending of the book changed!

Mr Awe
Old June 24 2013, 09:05 PM   #40
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a particularly good analogy. I mean, it works for one kind of adventure, sure, but what about the adventure of sailing in the direction you've never gone before with no idea what cities or people may be in your future path, or how you or your fellow travelers might change during the journey?

They're both worthwhile experiences, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Old June 24 2013, 09:18 PM   #41
Pavonis
Commodore

Apples and oranges are both fruits, and you can juice both of them! They're not that different. Anyway, I don't have a boat. Don't sailors have to file plans with an authority? Can they just wander around the seas endlessly? Isn't that a recipe for disaster? Not knowing what you're reading is a similarly bad idea, IMO. You think you're going to read a comedy, but it ends up being a tragedy, which you would've seen coming and avoided if you'd checked the last page first!
Old June 24 2013, 09:20 PM   #42
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^The point is that I, and many others, enjoy the unpaved road. It's fun not to know where you're going. It's also fun to know, but a different sort of fun. Is it really so hard to understand that one might prefer the former adventure to the latter? Or that one might sometimes be in the mood for an apple, and other times be in the mood for an orange?

Old June 24 2013, 09:28 PM   #43
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Case point, a place where I love to return is the rain forests of Central America, where there are no paved roads!

But, totally agree. I can see why people would like to reread novels even though it's not my personal cup of tea.

Mr Awe
Old June 24 2013, 09:59 PM   #44
Pavonis
Commodore

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^The point is that I, and many others, enjoy the unpaved road. It's fun not to know where you're going. It's also fun to know, but a different sort of fun. Is it really so hard to understand that one might prefer the former adventure to the latter? Or that one might sometimes be in the mood for an apple, and other times be in the mood for an orange?
It's not hard to understand. I think we understand each other just fine. Reading a book unspoiled is the unpaved road; reading a book spoiled is the known destination. We're all on the same page, so to speak.

On topic, I don't read the entire last chapter, just the last page, or the last couple of pages. Sometimes I'll open a new book to a random page and read a bit. If the story hooks me, I'll stop and start it from the beginning before getting too far into it. I figure a good story should hook me at whatever random point I start it, and a really good story should have re-visiting potential. I do the same with movies and TV shows. If I think a movie or TV show is "re-watchable", I'll purchase it for my collection.
Old June 24 2013, 10:29 PM   #45
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I have a relative who likes to read the end first. Her rationale is that if she's wondering how a book ends, she'll read too quickly and miss a lot of detail. By getting any suspense out of the way first, she can savour the details as she goes along.
I actually do this sometimes, and for exactly the same reason. I am more interested in the voyage than in the destination, so to speak.