Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 25 2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: Paula Dean fired for being a racist

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Obviously Deen's comments are ridiculous.

But do we really want to be a culture that preaches tolerance by immediately raking anyone over the coals who says something we think is wrong? People with racist beliefs today don't have the power to harm anyone the way they did a few decades ago. In the 1960s racists were destroying lives, now they're just pissing in the wind. Whether Deen's show stays on the air should be based solely on how many people want to watch it, not based on the lawsuit-phobia of the network executives.
I don't think she said it to be racist. She is a wonderful person. I hope to see her on TV again soon. I really don't think she is a racist.
Then she probably shouldn't admit that she does racist things.
Old June 26 2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

But do we really want to be a culture that preaches tolerance by immediately raking anyone over the coals who says something we think is wrong?
We don't just think it's wrong, it IS wrong. Everybody knows it is. Racism is an objective evil. There can be no defense of it.

As for Paula Deen: I don't care how nice she is, or how good (or not) her food is. You don't say things like this without meaning them. If she said these things, she deserves to be fired, and her employer can do it for that reason.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 11:32 PM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yesterday she changed the frontpage of her website.

It used to be a picture of herself with a clot of about 12 completely white staff in aprons all smiling and happy about their jobs under Paula.

Now it's Paula, a black dude and still more white people.

This is not evidence that she is racist, this is evidence that she thinks that the public is a pack of morons.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 04:11 AM   #34
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I found this to be a very interesting article, comparing what's happening to Food Network Star, their competition show that produces some of their talent.

The "TL;DR" version is this: The Food Network is about cultivating a personality that make people care about the recipes your showing. No one will care if you make the best dish in the world. It's boring if the person making it while explaining how to make it is boring. Paula's persona was crafted around the good things associated with the South. Her comments bring to mind the bad things. Therefore, her brand is tarnished, which makes it hard (for some people) to relate to her.

I do suggest reading the article as it's an interesting take on this whole ordeal.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:42 AM   #35
Sci
Admiral

But do we really want to be a culture that preaches tolerance by immediately raking anyone over the coals who says something we think is wrong?
Fuck tolerance. Tolerance is bullshit. Every damn asshole is tolerant of something.

It doesn't matter that you be tolerant. What matters is what it is you are tolerant of. What it is you are accepting of.

Paula Deen is tolerant and accepting of racism and white supremacy. I am not, and I'm glad the Food Network is not, either.

People with racist beliefs today don't have the power to harm anyone the way they did a few decades ago.
Bullshit.

Stop and frisk. The War on Drugs. The invalidation of Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act. Police brutality. Driving while black. The murder of Trayvon Martin. Voter ID laws. The mass incarceration of blacks in America. The huge economic disparities between blacks and whites. The continued existence of ghettos.

On and on and on. The white supremacist power structure is alive and well, and the racial oppression of blacks in America continues. Just google the term "the new Jim Crow."
Old June 28 2013, 10:13 PM   #36
publiusr
Commodore

She wasn't the bankrobber with a gun, after all. My own parents weren't the most evolved people, but they were hardworking and honest. They had faults as we all do. A more evolved person we automatically assume is better, but if they conniving and vapid, we seem to forgive that.

Policies are what we need to care about. In the same way companies greenwash, dumping on her is just an easy way for them to act like they care. Corporate types don't.

I see this as a way to explain to Paula and others that it is Corporate America--not the gov't that provided the roads she and her staff drove on--that is the real enemy.

She is only now feeling its heel--

Seaton Smith was on ALL IN on MSNBC, and cut her a lot of slack. It is stop and frisk that we should rail against. Again, policies.

Not long ago, I watched a documentary about Richard Pryor (Omit the logic) where he spoke at a Gay Rights event, wondering where reciprocal support was. The Supreme Court offered a hand up against DOMA, after showing a back hand to supporters of the Voting Rights Act. It is now time support should be returned.

Jesse Jackson said that Paula Deen can be redeemed:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3506218.html

I agree with him. It is wrong to try to reduce the worth of a persons whole life in having their whole being defined by a blurb, or even some real crimes--otherwise we never get a Justice Hugo Black.

Here is a book that should be required reading in the internet age
http://www.amazon.com/Delete-The-Vir.../dp/0691138613

Now that Paula Deen has a mark against her that many folks who leave prison also have in preventing them from finding jobs, she will be more sympathetic to the plight of those less fortunate than her. That makes for a great platform, like what Billy Ray Cyrus did with Hillbilly: The Real Story--that actually portrayed unions in a more fair light than Fox.

Now she can be transformed into a Mother Jones. After all, Jack Hanna being a Southerner, may for that reason be a better way to introduce ecology to folks who may balk if done in a more preachy way

This is a moment for the Left to reach out to her, as I see it. It is easier to rage than love--hatred being a more honest emotion. Yet we have to be like Gene Roddenberry in trying to make humanity better, not casting anyone away as worthless.

It will take some doing due to her background, but she could be of real value through a Morgan Spurlock, Joseph Campbell type journey.

Last edited by publiusr; June 28 2013 at 10:31 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote