Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 22 2013, 04:46 AM   #1
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Paula Dean fired for being a racist

This has all happened very quickly, you think after the who diabetes PR disaster her management team would be better.

Think what really did her in wasn't saying nigger a lot, it's more...

bunch of little niggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days
http://www.thebraiser.com/paula-deen...on-statements/

It brings up the age old question of if you are less of a fan of a TV or movie actor (and Paula Dean is acting) after their actions or words.
Old June 22 2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Paula Dean fired for being a racist

Three hours ago I had never heard of this woman.

W. Kumau Bell gave the media a "No Shit Award" for figuring out that someone in their 60's from Georgia was a racist.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:41 AM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Three hours ago I had never heard of this woman.

W. Kumau Bell gave the media a "No Shit Award" for figuring out that someone in their 60's from Georgia was a racist.
Not a cook are you?

But he's a thought, people are still racist, I know shocking. I'd say a white woman from Georgia over 40 wouldn't shock me. I almost titled this "Breaking News!!! Old white southern woman a racist!"

But she really screwed this up, it's not like she didn't know this was coming, the testimony was from May. I'm more surprised Food Network threw her under the bus so quickly.
Old June 22 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The whole thing is just rather bizarre. She's involved in a lawsuit involving discrimination and then goes on the national media to apologize for her racist statements---wtf? She must have the WORST legal representation and management EVER. Well, that, and the possibility that she will be found so ridiculously guilty that she wanted to get a jump-start on the mea culpas.

I can't say I was ever a fan. I found her voice grating and her saccharine on-screen personality just too cloying. Plus, the way she pushed for "homestyle" cooking that was so remarkably unhealthy and then when she becomes diabetic, to just use that to further market her products---that just struck me as distasteful.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:07 AM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

She never went on national media! She was supposed to go on The Today Show, if you can still consider NBC national, and dropped out at the last minute.

Her spokesperson gave some statement that sounded worse than what she said. Then she released three weird 'I'm sorry" videos, and then got fired.

It's really bizarre indeed.

I find it more fun than most of her shows.
Old June 22 2013, 06:19 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Obviously Deen's comments are ridiculous.

But do we really want to be a culture that preaches tolerance by immediately raking anyone over the coals who says something we think is wrong? People with racist beliefs today don't have the power to harm anyone the way they did a few decades ago. In the 1960s racists were destroying lives, now they're just pissing in the wind. Whether Deen's show stays on the air should be based solely on how many people want to watch it, not based on the lawsuit-phobia of the network executives.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:06 AM   #7
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

She wasn't fired because of the fear of lawsuits. She is being sued personally by her staff over what is alleged harassment/discrimination. The Food Network (not exactly the biggest channel around) is not renewing her contract because she is bad publicity for them. She actually has been bad press for them for awhile but this probably put them over the edge.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was her brother's staff at his restaurant?

Although this is what I find hilarious, if she had gotten that Plantation themed restaurant off the ground with a completely black waitstaff in period costume... Odds are that the staff would only be completely black at the expense of a number of lawsuits about unfair hiring practices, because rationally your Asians, Native Americans, Whites and even Mexicans would be arguing that they can be just as good House #####s as an African American... I mean, sincerely do you believe that all the waiters at Long John Silvers are authentic Pirates who raped and pillaged the seven seas? And if you did believe that that was so, then you should've already called interpol to report these scurvy maniacs for crimes against humanity.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; June 22 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old June 22 2013, 07:33 AM   #9
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Do you believe all the Hooter's girls are girls?

It'll be interesting if she is on any of the upcoming Food Network Star episodes. I wonder if they'll still show the episode?

I wonder how this will affect her son's show?
Old June 22 2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If they try to fire him for what his mother did, he'll wind up owning the Network.

Old June 22 2013, 10:59 AM   #11
TemporalFlux
Commodore

A couple of years ago, I went to Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah. We were talking with the staff about some of the photos on the wall; and there was one with a younger Paula and a black woman at what appeared to be the opening of the restaurant. It was explained to us that was Paula's partner who helped her start it all; I wish I could remember her name, but I can't seem to find any mention of it online.

In any case, the staffer noted how the two had a falling out when Paula became famous. Paula didn't bring her partner along.

Last edited by TemporalFlux; June 22 2013 at 11:14 AM.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

IMO, Paula Deen was already a controversial figure at Food Network for earlier stuff and this was more than they were willing to let slide.
Old June 22 2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In YOUR opinion? Duuuuuuude. That's everyone's opinion.

Old June 22 2013, 02:56 PM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah press is all any chef has. She already was getting bad press, and Food Network just happened to have the great timing of her contract being up.
Old June 22 2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
If they try to fire him for what his mother did, he'll wind up owning the Network.

They won't fire him, at least as long as he's under contract. His show however is called "Not My Mama's Meals" where he takes Paula's recipes and remakes them to be healthier. The problem is under the current format they show clips from her various shows and she even appears in most of the episodes tasting the revamped dish.

Obviously they can't show her clips or have her appear anymore, and likely they can't even refer to her recipes so whatever Bobby does going forward will have to not involve Paula in any way.