RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,845
Posts: 5,327,788
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 699
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 29 2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Sony Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the rights to the early 1990s series for an adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy and Susan Montford.

Captain Planet told the story of five teens from around the world -- North America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America (if this isn’t tailored for today’s international marketplace, I don’t know what is) -- that are given powers by Gaia, the earth spirit, in order to protect the planet from the devastation of polluters.

When their powers are not enough, the teens combine to summon a superhero named Captain Planet.

The Captain and the Planeteers fought villains such as Dr. Blight, Verminous Skumm, Duke Nukem and Looten Plunder. (The series initially attracted high-profile celebrities to play the baddies -- Sting , Meg Ryan and James Coburn among them.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...e-works-576490

Wow, this movie is going to be so BAD! I remember watching the cartoon when I was a kid, and back then I even noticed how much the environmental messages were pushed onto the audience.

The superhero craze has fallen to new low, studios are pretty much willing to do anything with them at this point.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Dream wrote: View Post
Sony Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the rights to the early 1990s series for an adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy and Susan Montford.

Captain Planet told the story of five teens from around the world -- North America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America (if this isn’t tailored for today’s international marketplace, I don’t know what is) -- that are given powers by Gaia, the earth spirit, in order to protect the planet from the devastation of polluters.

When their powers are not enough, the teens combine to summon a superhero named Captain Planet.

The Captain and the Planeteers fought villains such as Dr. Blight, Verminous Skumm, Duke Nukem and Looten Plunder. (The series initially attracted high-profile celebrities to play the baddies -- Sting , Meg Ryan and James Coburn among them.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...e-works-576490

Wow, this movie is going to be so BAD! I remember watching the cartoon when I was a kid, and back then I even noticed how much the environmental messages were pushed onto the audience.

The superhero craze has fallen to new low, studios are pretty much willing to do anything with them at this point.

Let's hope they use this as the basis for the script (link)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

^Yes! Use the sketch!

Seriously though, what is Sony smoking?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:06 AM   #4
StarMan
Vice Admiral
 
StarMan's Avatar
 
Location: ... in another place.
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

I had a mega crush on Dr. Blight.

I know.
__________________
Let's rock!
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

I actually just saw an episode a week ago with my nephews and it was horrible
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I actually just saw an episode a week ago with my nephews and it was horrible
Captain Planet is still being shown on television?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

It airs 6am every day on Boomerang, apparently
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

My son watched it on Boomerang for a while. I think they still do a yearly Earth Day marathon.

Captain Planet was as subtle as a brick!



"A" for effort, but damn it was heavy handed, even for a tree-hugging druid like me.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 03:15 PM   #9
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Sony Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the rights to the early 1990s series for an adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy and Susan Montford.

Captain Planet told the story of five teens from around the world -- North America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America (if this isn’t tailored for today’s international marketplace, I don’t know what is) -- that are given powers by Gaia, the earth spirit, in order to protect the planet from the devastation of polluters.

When their powers are not enough, the teens combine to summon a superhero named Captain Planet.

The Captain and the Planeteers fought villains such as Dr. Blight, Verminous Skumm, Duke Nukem and Looten Plunder. (The series initially attracted high-profile celebrities to play the baddies -- Sting , Meg Ryan and James Coburn among them.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...e-works-576490

Wow, this movie is going to be so BAD! I remember watching the cartoon when I was a kid, and back then I even noticed how much the environmental messages were pushed onto the audience.

The superhero craze has fallen to new low, studios are pretty much willing to do anything with them at this point.

Let's hope they use this as the basis for the script (link)
Naw, they should use this, instead. It's even got some A-list talent.
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Dream wrote: View Post
The superhero craze has fallen to new low, studios are pretty much willing to do anything with them at this point.
Well, I guess once you've given Green Lantern the tentpole treatment, the gloves are off, as they say...


Also:
davejames wrote: View Post
Wow, poor Wonder Woman. Even the cheesy-ass Captain Planet gets his own movie before she does. lol
davejames wrote that almost two years ago now.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

The spirit of the Earth? politically she's probably almost as powerful as Captain planet, and probably a million times more powerful-powerful than Captain Planet? What the hell was she playing at? I remember her playing the victim/hostage often.

Remember "The Happening"?

That's how the planet alerts human being that it is unhappy.

DC tried something similar called the New Guardian that spun out of Millennium circa 1988.

The next development of humankind's evolution.

8, maybe nine "neo-Superheroes" including Hal Jordan's Inuit mechanic friend from Ferris air... And a 70 year old South African politician who was not happy about all the kaffar's insinuating that they were "evolved". I would not have been surprised if he called the Guardians of the Galaxy (Green Lanterns Smurflike superiors.) Bliggers. Bluggers?

Never mind.

If you're the next step in human evolution, your job is to go out into the world and make babies.

Right?

One of them was turned into a mechanical sun and shot into orbit, and another one had AIDS and frakk, but one was a vegetable. A literal vegetable. Jason Woodrue the Floronic Man. The rest just hung out in their clubhouse waiting for bad guys to attack with their junk square locked up in their pants.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

I'll admit that I loved this as a kid. I would watch it all the time, and I think it had good writing for what it was. But honestly, I just don't know about this project. I'm not sure anyone would go for it these days, considering it would hit people over the head with an environmental message. I can't see it sitting well with people.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Storybrooke
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

StarMan wrote: View Post
I had a mega crush on Dr. Blight.

I know.
If Meg Ryan played the live-action version of Dr. Blight and Kate Upton played Linka, it might get rental money from me. Only Klansmen with guns and already burning crosses could get me to buy a movie ticket to see this shit.
__________________
"Let's hope to hell you didn't bring anything else back with you!"

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:36 AM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

Wasn't half her face horribly scared underneath that lock of hair that coincidentally covered half her face?

Oh look! Cosplay!

http://www.cosplay.com/i/costumes/200/152071.jpg
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Mage
Fleet Captain
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Captain Planet and the Planeteers movie in the works from Sony

This is just never going to work really....
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
captain planet

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.