RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 439
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 21 2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Re: Genetics / genealogy

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
A friend of mine had genetic testing done recently; they not only told him his recent ancestry, but also the percentage of Neandertal and Denisovan genes that he has. I think it only cost two or three hundred dollars. I can't remember off the top of my head where he had it done, but I'll find out. I'm thinking of having it done myself.
I went through National Geographic's Genographic 2.0 project- turns out I have some Neanderthal in me.

I only skimmed through the results, but there weren't any big surprises. If I ever get around to figuring out what my password was, I'll take a closer look at the results.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 10:28 PM   #17
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ I don't know what your ancestry is, but, according to the reading I've been doing, all people with European ancestry have some Neanderthal genes.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 10:03 AM   #18
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
A friend of mine had genetic testing done recently; they not only told him his recent ancestry, but also the percentage of Neandertal and Denisovan genes that he has. I think it only cost two or three hundred dollars. I can't remember off the top of my head where he had it done, but I'll find out. I'm thinking of having it done myself.
I went through National Geographic's Genographic 2.0 project- turns out I have some Neanderthal in me.
That's the one!
Old June 22 2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Finn
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ I don't know what your ancestry is, but, according to the reading I've been doing, all people with European ancestry have some Neanderthal genes.
^Asians and Native Americans too. The interbreeding started as Humans left Africa.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
On my mother's side (which is the only side Geno 2.0 did), I'm of Native American and European ancestry and wasn't sure if the Neanderthal genes would show up- guess I should have read more.

I logged in and took a closer look at the results (I had only skimmed through them earlier). Just noticed I have 4.9% Denisovan genes as well. Since my mother was adopted out of her family at the age of seven and didn't talk about her real family (I didn't even know about them until her sister showed up at her funeral), I had little knowledge about her background. She had said she was Ojibwa and Irish, but that's about all she said. Turns out there's quite a mix on the European side. I never knew I was part Swedish. All this time I thought I was just about the only one in my town without any Scandinavian ancestry.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 10:16 PM   #21
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
On my father's side, my grandmother was the daughter of a Cherokee chief. My grandfather, a minister, fell in love with her and the rest is history... my family history. I would like to delve further into Dad's side of the family. I know of a few historical figures through family stories, but would like to document them.
No offense...but I've met more people whose grandmothers were the daughters of Cherokee chiefs than I think is actually possible.

As for me, there's a great aunt or second cousin or something on my dad's side who's really into genealogy. My paternal grandmother's ancestors were French and came over to Canada in the early 1600s, then migrated to New Orleans. My paternal grandfather was of primarily English and Irish ancestry, and his family was traced back to 16th century London. The family lore is that at some point in the early 19th century four brothers came over from England and one went in each direction...my paternal grandfather would be the product of the one who went south.

My mom's Ojibwe: Turtle Mountain Clan Chippewa.

I'd be interested in what a genetic analysis would show.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 10:41 PM   #22
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ I haven't read the stuff I've come across about genetic testing and Indians very carefully, just because that's one category that I know I'm not, but my impression is that they can't reliably distinguish tribes/nations at this point. The data bases just don't have enough Indian DNA samples to compare individuals to. If I come across anything that says otherwise, I'll let you know.
Old June 22 2013, 10:48 PM   #23
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I'd suspect that there may be some ability to distinguish between different ethnic groups -- like Pacific Northwest Indians and inuit, Aleut, versus the rest of North America, and South American Indians. There's definitely way too much mixing between tribes, I think, to ever get much more detail than that. Perhaps with some more isolated tribes. My mom is Ojibwe but she likely has ancestors in many tribes as the Chippewa are extremely mixed. My dad has some Cherokee in him, but not much and he wasn't raised with the culture or anything.

View my art!
Old June 22 2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ I tried to resist, but I can't help myself... Was his grandmother the daughter of a Cherokee chief?
Old June 22 2013, 11:22 PM   #25
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Didn't you know? Everyone has a Cherokee Princess for an ancestor!

View my art!
Old June 22 2013, 11:56 PM   #26
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Yeah, even I've heard that the Cherokee princess thing too many times to be plausible.
Old June 23 2013, 12:22 AM   #27
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Well, the fact that there was no such thing as a Cherokee princess makes it more impossible than implausible.

To be fair to Sector7, though, he may very well have a Cherokee grandmother who was the daughter of a chief, so I don't bring this up to specifically doubt or mock him. It is just a very common family story, and often turns out to be untrue. I actually saw an episode of one of those finding your heritage shows, where they do the genetic research on a celebrity, and the celebrity had claimed the Cherokee ancestry, only to discover he had no indian ancestry at all. The person who was giving him his results informed him that most people who came to her claimed to have Indian ancestry, only to find out they had none at all. Chiefs are elected, though, and their families are not considered special. My great aunt is an Ojibwe Chief.

View my art!
Old June 23 2013, 01:42 AM   #28
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I knew my paternal grandparents. Their marriage caused quite a stir in those days. As a missionary/pastor, it was something of a scandal when they fell in love and married. Admittedly, as a teenager, I did not understand why their marriage was such a big deal. I was never able to meet my Cherokee relatives because they disowned her for marrying a white man.

Today, that scenario seems horrible. Times were different in the early 20th century. It just goes to show; you love who you love... love crosses many barriers. [If I told you how Dad married Mom... I don't think you would believe it either. ]

Note: while I have heard the term "tribal princess", in later years, no one in my family ever used the term.

Note 2: I am interested in using my aunt's genealogy, putting it on computer. Does anyone have suggestions for 'fill in the blanks' type software? Free software is preferred, but any ideas are helpful.
Old June 23 2013, 01:48 AM   #29
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, like I said, I didn't mean that to mock you at all, or to presume you were lying or misinformed -- I can't know your family's history. It was just expression of general annoyance over the tendency to claim Indian heritage when, unlike you, the people actually have no clue, and apologies if I came off wrong.

View my art!
Old June 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Yeah, like I said, I didn't mean that to mock you at all, or to presume you were lying or misinformed -- I can't know your family's history. It was just expression of general annoyance over the tendency to claim Indian heritage when, unlike you, the people actually have no clue, and apologies if I came off wrong.
No offense was taken, because no offense was given.