A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 9 2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Arpy
Rear Admiral

The U.S.S. Bozeman's experience?

Was it ever explored in Treklit what being caught in the temporal causality loop was like from the perspective of the U.S.S. Bozeman?
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Charles Phipps
Commander

Re: The U.S.S. Bozeman's experience?

Unfortunately, doesn't the episode more or less explain that it'd be the same day being repeated over and over again?

I imagine, in the U.S.S Bozeman's case, everyone had gone past from Deja Vu to "this is the most tedious day EVER."
Old June 9 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ship of the Line by Diane Carey features the event from the Bozeman's point-of-view, but it seems they were unaware of the loop. They just jump to the future and narrowly avoid the Enterprise-D.
Old June 9 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Arpy
Rear Admiral

The experience on the Enterprise seemed to get out of hand pretty quickly (17 days) whereas on the Bozeman (lost 80 yrs earlier) they didn't seem bothered at all. I wonder if they did experienced anything at all, and if they did, what the writers came up with.

Also, I wonder if they on the Bozeman only began to experience something like the Enterprise did once the Enterprise entered the expanse and the two ships began colliding with each other. Maybe if they hadn't, if it were just the Enterprise lost in the expanse, IT wouldn't have felt anything at all for years on end either until some other ship caused ITS temporal loop to be interrupted.

Though, I'd prefer something more "out there" to have been the case for the Bozeman.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Mage
Commodore

In Watching The Clock, one of the Bozeman's crewmembers explained that some people had the notion every now and then something felt 'off' or something like that, but other then that, they never noticed anything.
Old June 9 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post
In Watching The Clock, one of the Bozeman's crewmembers explained that some people had the notion every now and then something felt 'off' or something like that, but other then that, they never noticed anything.
^No, I went into more depth about it than that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Mage
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

See, that's what so nice about this forum, the writers are actually available to jump in and correct us when we misquote their novels.
Old June 9 2013, 08:45 PM   #8
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

I'm impressed that the crew was as functional as it was. Surely they had plenty of therapy!
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Steve Roby
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Ship of the Line by Diane Carey features the event from the Bozeman's point-of-view, but it seems they were unaware of the loop. They just jump to the future and narrowly avoid the Enterprise-D.
As I recall, Ship of the Line ignores the fact that Bateman and his two female bridge officers don't look particularly shook up, presenting instead a frantic and frazzled all male bridge crew who were just fighting Klingons.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
As I recall, Ship of the Line ignores the fact that Bateman and his two female bridge officers don't look particularly shook up, presenting instead a frantic and frazzled all male bridge crew who were just fighting Klingons.
Among other continuity glitches like portraying the Typhon Expanse as a Federation border region with a starbase and several colonies, despite Picard's log entry in the episode stating clearly (four or five times) that the Expanse was still unexplored in the 24th century.

Old June 10 2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Sran
Fleet Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
I'm impressed that the crew was as functional as it was. Surely they had plenty of therapy!
Captain Bateson's first-officer had an exceptionally difficult time with the transition as depicted in Ship of the Line. There are several scenes of dialogue between Picard and Troi regarding the emotional state of the Bozeman crew after the cessation of the temporal loop.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

^Whereas in the Watching the Clock version, several Bozeman crewmembers -- including, IIRC, my version of the first officer based on the actual female XO we saw in the episode -- have a rather more, shall we say, aggressive reaction to their inability to accept being in the future.

Old June 10 2013, 01:24 AM   #13
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Whereas in the Watching the Clock version, several Bozeman crewmembers -- including, IIRC, my version of the first officer based on the actual female XO we saw in the episode -- have a rather more, shall we say, aggressive reaction to their inability to accept being in the future.
I've not yet had the privilege of reading Watching the Clock beyond peaking at excerpts via Google Books. It's on my list of books to read. By the way, are you involved in the upcoming series of novels that follow the events of the Typhon Pact series?

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 01:36 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Sran wrote: View Post
By the way, are you involved in the upcoming series of novels that follow the events of the Typhon Pact series?
I'm not involved with The Fall, no. I'm busy exploring the beginnings of the Federation.

Old June 10 2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Sran
Fleet Captain

I'm not involved with The Fall, no. I'm busy exploring the beginnings of the Federation.
Awesome! That series sounds promising, as there's so much ground to cover. I enjoy reading your work, so I'll definitely be checking those books out, too.

--Sran