Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 23 2013, 05:52 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: World War Z ratings/spoilers

We're zombies. Zombies in tights.
We roam around your cities looking for fights.
We'll give you a bug and eat all your brains, that's right!
We may look like sissies,
But watch what you say, or Solanum will put out your lights!
Just be on guard, the Zombie Survival Guide!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:57 PM   #32
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The trailers look so incredibly stupid, this is a film I will skip over til I'm gone. What is it with that Zombie craze anyway? And then they are piling up like ants. Silly shit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:13 PM   #33
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

I think with Zombies they're pretty much the only supernatural/monster trope left to make scary. Vampires have been pussified/neutered by Twilight along with them Werewolves. Ghosts are over done and/or hard to do right. Probably largely because there's no established consistency on how to portray them what their "abilities" are and so forth. So that pretty much leaves zombies. Zombies are easy to do (they're dead bodies, reanimated, that come after you without stopping and spread disease/infection; unlike ghosts which are intangible spirits that sort of follow you around and make a nuisance) and they've not been romanticized by other works (like vampires and werewolves)
Old June 23 2013, 08:15 PM   #34
sojourner
Admiral

^You haven't seen Warm Bodies have you? Or the BBC miniseries In the Flesh?
Old June 23 2013, 08:22 PM   #35
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

sojourner wrote: View Post
^You haven't seen Warm Bodies have you?
No.

I actually have a synopsis written somewhere on an idea I had for a ghost movie that treated ghosts with a degree or two of eeriness while also a bit of a "romance" plot between one of the character and a female spirit (even had a love scene in it.)

Anyway, it seems with ghost movies it's usually the more stricter scary/horror avenue. But not quite the same as, say, vampires, zombies or werewolves when it comes to using them as the scary antagonists in a movie. Normally they go to straight-up horror rather than the popcorn movie monster villain like we have with zombies.
Old June 23 2013, 09:39 PM   #36
JD
Admiral

I was already kind of nervous about this from the trailers, and now after hearing what you guys have said has killed any interest I had in seeing this in theaters. I might check it out once it's on Netflix, but I definitely to see it in theaters. After playing The Last of US, I was in the mood for something else along those lines, and this definitely does not sound like it.
I'm not usually one that goes for tons of gore, but a PG-13 zombie movie sounds like a weird idea to me. For me the scariest and most disturbing part of the zombies has been the violence and gore in the scenes where they attack people.
Old June 23 2013, 10:28 PM   #37
sojourner
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
No.

I actually have a synopsis written somewhere on an idea I had for a ghost movie that treated ghosts with a degree or two of eeriness while also a bit of a "romance" plot between one of the character and a female spirit (even had a love scene in it.)

Anyway, it seems with ghost movies it's usually the more stricter scary/horror avenue. But not quite the same as, say, vampires, zombies or werewolves when it comes to using them as the scary antagonists in a movie. Normally they go to straight-up horror rather than the popcorn movie monster villain like we have with zombies.
Both of the above I mentioned are zombie movies/series.
Old June 24 2013, 12:37 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

No.

Both of the above I mentioned are zombie movies/series.
Ah. Gotcha.

Anyway, with this movie I did have to chuckle a bit with all of the production company logos before the movie including, humorously given this movie's history, one called "Plan B."

All the same, I still was pleasantly surprised by this movie though there are still some story plot problems in it but I guess when your movie is made by half-a-dozen different companies that mutilates the source material book that's going to happen.

Here's a question, though: In Jerusalem they had built the tall wall supposedly to keep out the zombie hordes and to contain the potential for rebuilding a society. Brad Pitt's character figures out pretty quickly that noise attracts the zombies... Soooo why hadn't the Israelis? Why allow the singing/clapping thing over the loud speaker to go on? Did they not realize that would attract the hordes of zombies just on the other side of the wall?!
Old June 24 2013, 12:44 AM   #39
Goji
Rear Admiral

I went with friends and liked the movie more than I expected to (I probably wouldn't have seen it on my own). I thought the zombies looked frankly ridiculous when they were running and jumping and flailing their arms about en mass. They worked a lot better in the second half of the movie when Brad & co. had to sneak past them in dimly lit hallways.

Early on I had bad flashbacks to Spielberg's "War of the Worlds". I'm glad this film had the sense to leave the kids behind after the first 20 minutes or so.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 12:48 AM   #40
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Yeah, a lot of the times when they're running and such they were handled good but when they were climbing over one another enmasse to get over the Jerusalem wall looked a bit silly. The skywalk/WHO wing scene(s) were really done though.
Old June 24 2013, 12:52 AM   #41
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Here's a question, though: In Jerusalem they had built the tall wall supposedly to keep out the zombie hordes and to contain the potential for rebuilding a society. Brad Pitt's character figures out pretty quickly that noise attracts the zombies... Soooo why hadn't the Israelis? Why allow the singing/clapping thing over the loud speaker to go on? Did they not realize that would attract the hordes of zombies just on the other side of the wall?!
Regardless of the sound issue, I don't think they predicted that the zombies could combine to form Voltron and climb over a 100 foot tall wall.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 12:58 AM   #42
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Still, why tempt them by making loud noises?

Early on I had bad flashbacks to Spielberg's "War of the Worlds". I'm glad this film had the sense to leave the kids behind after the first 20 minutes or so.
Indeed. Though the getting the asthma medication made for a pleasant distraction, but then the kids went into a coma and pretty much slept for the rest of the movie.

And maybe I missed something, but why did the WIFE have the sat-phone? Why didn't the General or the head of the UN or whomever have it? When Brad wanted to talk to his boss(es) he had to contact them through his wife? And nice use of the "wife calls the phone which is not set to vibrate during a sound-sensitive mission" trope, Movie.
Old June 24 2013, 04:46 AM   #43
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

JD wrote: View Post
I was already kind of nervous about this from the trailers, and now after hearing what you guys have said has killed any interest I had in seeing this in theaters. I might check it out once it's on Netflix, but I definitely to see it in theaters. After playing The Last of US, I was in the mood for something else along those lines, and this definitely does not sound like it.
I'm not usually one that goes for tons of gore, but a PG-13 zombie movie sounds like a weird idea to me. For me the scariest and most disturbing part of the zombies has been the violence and gore in the scenes where they attack people.
I'm with you. A bloodless zombie film is absolutely pointless and the whole 'terminal virus' thing just pisses all over the original story. Honestly, screw this thing. If I need a WWZ fix I'll just give the recently released unabridged audio version another listen.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:21 AM   #44
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

^You haven't seen Warm Bodies have you? Or the BBC miniseries In the Flesh?

In the Flesh was brilliant. A Show from a rehabilitated zombie POV. I wonder if such a show can be remade in the U.S.

Last edited by EmoBorg; June 24 2013 at 08:12 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:41 AM   #45
sojourner
Admiral

I think there is a show in the works in the U.S. dealing with zombies being rehabilitated, or at least dead people coming back to life to rejoin society.