Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 19 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Q2UnME
Commodore

Trublood Season 6 discussion *spoilers*

Well, Season 6 of Trublood premeired on HBO last weekend.

Didn't see a thread started on the series, not sure how many folks out there are still watching this, but I figured there might be a few of us left so I started this thread for season/series discussion. Figured I'd mark is as "spoilers" so that discussion of the episodes can be open and folks that havent seen the episode yet can shy away if they wish.

I thought the premeir episode was decent enough. Acting, pacing and direction was good. "Billith" is no longer a naked man running around dipped in roadkill, so that was nice to see. They've already shown that staking doesn't kill him like a normal vampire and he has some sort of new ability to move and control things with his mind. Wondering what else the new and improved "Billith" can do.

Sookie was less annoying this outing, which is good. Still have some T/A tossed in to remind folks "Hey, we're HBO!"

Anyone else?

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Trublood Season 6 discussion *spoilers*

I saw it last night, the episode itself was not bad but the series as it goes on seems to get more and more ridiculous. Anyway as for Bill's powers, in the previews they also show him in the sunlight as well.

I think the show is wearing a bit thin here on Trekbbs, but we will see how many people want to chime in about it.
Old June 19 2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

I figure the whole point of Billith's transformation is that they're going to toy with him being an adversary or source of fear for the cast for a while, having him being tempted by the dark side with his powers, before Jessica and Sookie ultimately bring him back to the light side where his powers will be the only thing able to stop the equally or nearly as powerful Warlowe (since he's Lilith's son).

I don't know why the woman who runs TruBlood distribution would trust the governor's story about wanting to secretly finance TruBlood production because he needs pacified, taxpaying vampires. If vampire tax revenue was a chief concern of his he wouldn't have shut down all vampire owned businesses, which also has the side effect of not giving the vampires something to be preoccupied with. Unemployed vampires with lots of free time are a recipe for disaster. I'm guessing that he secretly wants to gain control of TruBlood production to either hold it hostage when the time comes or to poison the TruBlood somehow and kill all the vampires en masse.

I love Rutger Hauer, and he's a great, sinister addition to the cast, but he looks nothing like the glimpses of the Rob Zombie-looking Warlowe we saw previously (but that's no big deal). Also, I know Jason is a dumbass, but if I saw Rutger Hauer pull over and offer me a ride, I'd say "fuck this!" and run the other way. He's The Hitcher for Christ's sake. I'm pretty sure that was Sookie's and Jason's parent's station wagon he was driving too, which was a nice touch.

Sookie has this Warlowe guy appearing as an apparition in her house, her ex is a dangerous blood god who can track her anywhere, she insists on remaining in the same house where people and supernatural entities have tried to kill her multiple times (and killed her grandmother), and she just rescinded the invitation of the one vampire who has sworn to protect her. Jason is rapidly becoming the less moronic sibling. Plus, you know she's just going to have to allow Eric back again later, though I'm sure it will come after some drama where she's in danger in the house but Eric can't get inside.

Maybe I'm misremembering, and granted he was under the influence of V this time, but didn't Alcide take some kind of stand against eating their own kind or eating humans last season? He didn't want the kid to be stalked and killed, I know that, but I thought there was more to it than that. But here he chows down on his (albeit already dead) rival to become Packmaster. I would have preferred to see him ditch the old ways and act as a more progressive leader.

The human SWAT teams with their new anti-vampire weapons are cool, but it's still reliant on the vampires standing there like idiots and forgetting that they can zoom around with superspeed or fly.

All in all, the episode was just alright to me. There was some fun stuff (Pam's always great, and Andy as Mr. Mom is amusing), but mostly it was just mediocre. Hopefully it was just set up for some better stuff later.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral

The show is basically just a fun romp these days, some blood and guts there, some full frontal nudity (not that there is anything wrong with that LOL) that's pretty much it.
Old June 19 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Beginning of the episode, Eric to Sookie - "Let's run away from this weird blood creature that's going to eat you because you are a delicious fairy!"

Middle of the episode, Jessica - "Bill is summoning me, I have to go". Sookie - "I'll join you because it's such a wonderful idea to be a fairy near that weird blood creature!"

The writers are not even trying anymore to be consistent at least within the same episode.
Old June 19 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

It was a decent episode but there were a lot of plot lines to follow so it ended up feeling a bit too busy for me.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Q2UnME
Commodore

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
It was a decent episode but there were a lot of plot lines to follow so it ended up feeling a bit too busy for me.
Then Game of Thrones must make your head explode!

From what I've read in the media, this season should be called: TrueBlood: The Humans Strikes Back

It will be interesting to see the vampires, warewolves and shifts go from be the hunters to being the hunted.

Yea, lots of plot lines to follow, but a fun little romp just the same.

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well Game of Thrones tends to alternate plots between episodes, and I've read the books so it doesn't feel as busy to me. I can understand how someone who hasn't read the books would feel that way though.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:37 PM   #9
stj
Rear Admiral

Gratuitous nudity, gore and vulgar language is ninety percent of what cable has to offer. Isn't True Blood the highest rated premium cable program?

Sookie isn't supposed to be able to read vampire minds at all (being dead and all) and only sense emotions of shifters and werewolves. But she can read human minds. The only reason she doesn't know Jason is hallucinating is because she doesn't care enough to pay attention. The showrunner handover seems to be shaking their grasp on their mythology, though. I noticed that Jason remembered being glamored, which was supposed to be impossible.

I know Sookie is a prude, who only approves of sex When It's True Love (like when she does it,) but still. Even crazy, Jason still was right when he called her out. (Incidentally, she never wondered whether Jason had problems with the uncle, not even as an adult, although Jason certainly displayed enough symptoms that could stem from early childhood sexual abuse.) Being so alienated from humanity because of their sexual thoughts carries this rather far I think, and it's become very unappealing.

Overall, I much prefer the other human characters, esp. Jason, Andy, Terry, and once, Tara. I wouldn't really mind if the governor wins!
Old June 19 2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Mister Fandango
Captain

If they're following World of Darkness's vampires rule (and they basically are for the most part), and Warlow is Lilith's child, then they needed someone who can actually fight him. Hence "Billith" drinking her blood and basically insta-becoming his near equal. It's really that simple.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

I'm wondering if the Andy/magic kids subplot is going to be completely separate from the rest of the plots the way last years' Terry/Iraqi smoke monster plot was last year. I hope not. The show is best when everyone's stories intermingle.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:54 PM   #12
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Warlow seems to be interested in fairies. Oddly, he does not seem to be particularly antagonistic to Jason. He's a little condescending but everyone is condescending to Jason, so what does that matter?
Old June 19 2013, 11:17 PM   #13
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

It was good. Just what it's always been: A lurid, uncensored EC comic. The worst thing about it was that Luna died. I really liked Luna. Maybe it's a fake out and she'll be back.

Having Bill come down from super-monster to his old self with magic powers was a bit weird, but I think the final scene with Lilith bodes badly for that status quo.

Since Warlow is interested in fairies and Andy's offspring are maturing faster than humanly possible (unsurprisingly), I'm guessing those plots will intertwine eventually.

And that new Werewolf babe is hot.
Old June 24 2013, 01:20 AM   #14
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Who else thought the threesome scene was quite awkward? I thought that someone would be killed in a gorey manner any second. But maybe that will happen later.

I did like how Bill got seemingly back to normal from being that weird monster, albeit with superpowers. Like Locutus I also think that eventually he'll fight Warlow. By the way, when was it established that Warlow is Lilith's son? I must have missed that.

All in all, I think we're off to a good start.
Old June 24 2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Count Zero wrote: View Post
By the way, when was it established that Warlow is Lilith's son? I must have missed that.
Nora mentioned it to Jason when she was asking him what he knew about Warlow.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote