Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 1 2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Tain
Ensign

Captain of a ship of fools or 3rd class crewman on the Enterprise?

Anybody have to deal with this? I'm in charge of a team of people at work dealing with medical insurance payments. I coordinate the team and make sure everything gets done timely and without errors.

But I work with a department that as a whole is full of incompetent grouchy fools who bitch and moan about every little thing, can't accept criticism and are never happy.

I had the opportunity to leave the department and join another one, where I would be one of many, no longer in charge and no longer a point of contact with the rest of the company.

So yes, I'll be Captain of the ship of fools and not join the better team.
Tain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain of a ship of fools or 3rd class crewman on the Enterprise?

ok
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Tain wrote: View Post
. . .I'm in charge of a team of people at work dealing with medical insurance payments. . .But I work with a department that as a whole is full of incompetent grouchy fools who bitch and moan about every little thing, can't accept criticism and are never happy.
If you're in charge of a group of incompetent grouchy fools, etc., then whose fault is it that they're that way? Or maybe I'm missing something here.
Old May 1 2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

anyone recommend.... a MOVIE that has some - one have to chooooose between being a Kaptain on a ship and/or 3ered Matty on an even betterer boat?

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 11:49 PM   #5
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

And I thought *I* was drunkl?

srsly: I'd rather be the 3rd class crew. I have no ambitions to be captain of anyone or anything.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 03:15 AM   #7
Australis
Writer

What's the expression? Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 03:45 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I take it you either a lead or a low-level supervisor?

Are there any financial and/or benefit advantages to being where you are? If not you should seek a position within your business that results in your own happiness. Don't just stay there out of a feeling of responsibility, or to prove something.

Some people actually enjoy stress and adversity, they receive a rush of sorts.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 05:20 AM   #9
HIjol
Fleet Captain

T-Girl is right...I am in a similar situation but the challenge is readiness and culture, not attitude...assuming you cannot change the grouchy, bitch-and-moan culture, try to find a place that needs and wants YOUR talents...here, it is ever-so-apparent that they need and want our expertise (education)...easy to say in this world job market, but either transform your WorkPond, or find a new one that will refresh you and offer a healthy place to work...good luck...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Tain wrote: View Post
Anybody have to deal with this? I'm in charge of a team of people at work dealing with medical insurance payments. I coordinate the team and make sure everything gets done timely and without errors.

But I work with a department that as a whole is full of incompetent grouchy fools who bitch and moan about every little thing, can't accept criticism and are never happy.

I had the opportunity to leave the department and join another one, where I would be one of many, no longer in charge and no longer a point of contact with the rest of the company.

So yes, I'll be Captain of the ship of fools and not join the better team.
I think that's a bad choice. This is the classic big fish in a little pond or little fish in a large pond question.

My answer is always, it's far easier to change your own size than it is to change the size of pond.

Just because you start out as a smaller fish, or 3rd class crewman, you can grow and advance.

Although, if you had found a nice niche that you actually liked, I could see staying for that. But, because you don't even like it, might as well move on to greener fields.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 08:27 PM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

Some things to consider

Why do you conisder other members of the team as a whole incompetent? And can anything be done to address this ie. training and development. Sometimes people will do a task a particular way because that's the way they had been taught. And practices and procedures can change overtime, as people come and go within the compnay as a whole. And people aren't always willing to embrace change and will continue to do a task as they've always done it. HAve you rasied your concerns to your line manger regarding this incompetance or have you taken any action on your own?

At the end of they day it comes down to a simple question are you happy (enough) where you are? Two of the main reasons for changing jobs is pay and happiness. For some the pay is enough to make minor issues tolerable for others they would prefer to be happy yet paid lower.

Just one cavet remember the saying, The grass is always greener on the otherside. Sure from the outside things might look better but it doesn't mean that they will be.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote