Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old June 27 2013, 12:31 AM   #16
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Do you want to phone E.T.?

1. Would you really take a chance with that five year old and just let him continue to make random calls? What if he was calling random people in the local phone book?

2. Contrary to popular belief, our broadcasts aren't getting out that far. They fade into background noise after a certain point. A tight beam intentional broadcast on the other hand, can go quite far.

3. "Needlessly hostile" implies that it wouldn't be "needlessly easy" for some civilization that is thousands of years ahead of us to exterminate us. Those are not good odds.

4. Why take the chance? Better to wait as long as we can before announcing ourselves to the neighbors. Make sure we are secure in our capabilities first.

There are a lot more reasons why it's a bad idea than a good one.
Old June 27 2013, 03:15 AM   #17
Ryan8bit
Commodore

1. I just don't think this analogy really holds up. The implication is that everything is local and dangerous when there is not even the slightest indication of such a thing as far as space is concerned. Traveling between star systems isn't going to be as casual as walking down the block. And even if it were, you'd think that any aliens then wouldn't be waiting on the chance of some radio signals. If they have the capability of traveling such great distances in reasonable amounts of time, then chances are they already know we're here. A flimsy radio signal isn't going to make much difference.

2. Yeah, I didn't mean regular radio broadcasts, but signals sent out by SETI and others deliberately.

3. Those odds aren't established. There's no way to know exactly what they are or if they even exist. My thought would be that it doesn't make sense for a civilization to use so much energy just to exterminate us, especially when we're really just contained here.

4. No amount of preparation is going to change anything. If there is a species out there that is a billion years more advanced than us, yet still hostile, then it doesn't matter if we wait a million years because they'll still be immensely more powerful and capable of annihilating us at any time. There is no catching up or sneaking under their radar. Either advanced species are hostile and we're fucked, or we're not. Radio signals aren't going to make a bit of difference.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 05:29 AM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

1. Not sure where you get that "everything is local"? If your trying to communicate locally, then by definition....

2. We've been sending out deliberate broadcast a lot more recently than the invention of radio. Most of our attempts haven't reached any destinations yet.

3. How do you know that for these aliens it would be "so much energy"? How tough is it for you to kill a bug?

4. Agreed, better to not bring attention to ourselves for as long as possible and enjoy life while we can. Which cockroach lives longer, the one hiding under the refrigerator or the one that tries to crawl up your leg?
Old June 27 2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Ryan8bit
Commodore

For point #1, I just don't think the analogy works. It's a lot easier for a person to just pick up and walk down the street than it is for a civilization to reach other star systems. Yes, it's possible that it becomes more common, but just becoming more common doesn't automatically make it on the same effortless level as squashing a bug.

Think of the prevalence of air flight even. We've got it down to a point where it's not that complicated, but it still involves costs and time, and it isn't just effortless. And that's a fairly simple technology compared to interstellar flight. I believe that the more complex technology gets, things are going to be progressively more difficult in terms of just waving your hand and something happens effortlessly.

And even assuming that it is so common for a civilization to be able to wander about so easily, then why haven't they been here already? I mean, if we're talking bug-swatting levels of difficulty, then chances are they've been here and beyond. I don't think we're under any kind of refrigerator, so to speak. If any sufficiently advanced species exists, I'd think that they are well aware of us.
Old June 28 2013, 02:10 AM   #20
sojourner
Admiral

Aware? yes, possibly. Bothered by? maybe not yet. Why give them a reason?

As for flying. You do know it's a lot easier to build a machine that will fly today than it was to do 100 years ago? That's how technological advancement works. Things that were hard to do eventually become easier.
Old June 28 2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Why would radio signals be all that bothersome?

And yes, of course it's easier to build airplanes comparatively, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's as easy as snapping your fingers. Even in another 100 years, it will likely be easier than it is today (although I'd imagine at some point they will hit a plateau on that), but it still won't be as easy as doing something on a whim.

And that's just airplanes, which are a comparatively simple technology. I don't think all technological advancement implies infinite exponential increases. Each will have its limits, and I think that with more complexity will come lower limits.
Old June 28 2013, 06:16 PM   #22
sojourner
Admiral

I don't believe in exponential increases either. Leave that to the singularist crowd. But I do believe that a civilization 1000 years ahead of us will be capable of things we can only dream of.

Lets put it this way. History is scattered with examples of cultures meeting more technologically advanced cultures. How well did that turn out for the primitives ones? Even in cases where the more advanced had altruistic motives?
Old July 2 2013, 02:45 PM   #23
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Lets put it this way. History is scattered with examples of cultures meeting more technologically advanced cultures. How well did that turn out for the primitives ones? Even in cases where the more advanced had altruistic motives?
Actually most modern Paleoanthropolists of ancient life and less evolved spcies on earth means leaving them alone today. Don't most scientists today leave for example alone in the rain forest who are less evolved?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:22 PM   #24
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

They are leaving the modern paleoanthroapologists alone in the rain forest because they are less evolved?
Old July 2 2013, 06:23 PM   #25
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post

But it was never discounted as a signal with ET origin and no phenomena, natural or human-made, was able to explain where it came from. Which does not mean that aliens exist, but to me it does mean that if aliens are all over the place, this is pretty likely to have come from them.
I thought it was pretty much universally agreed upon among scientific circles now that aliens do exist. It's just unlikely we'll ever see them because they exist so far away, unless they have FTL travel which as of now - we believe to be impossible.
Old July 3 2013, 12:30 AM   #26
sojourner
Admiral

Scientists need proof. They may universally agree that they may exist, but until there is proof, that's as far as they'll go.
Old July 3 2013, 08:34 AM   #27
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Scientists need proof. They may universally agree that they may exist, but until there is proof, that's as far as they'll go.
Well, you could indirectly measure the number of aliens in the universe if you multiple the number of habitable planets in the universe by the probability of an abiogenesis process happening. If only we had any reasonable estimate about the latter...

And then if you multiple it by the probability of the evolution of sentience, you get an estimate about the number of alien civilizations. If we only knew that either...
Old July 3 2013, 01:26 PM   #28
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post

And then if you multiple it by the probability of the evolution of sentience, you get an estimate about the number of alien civilizations. If we only knew that either...
As I understand it [and someone correct me please if it's wrong] one of the most unknown variables is how long average civilizations last?

Since the only sentient species on this planet has been around ~ 20,000 years and we have know idea how long we will last or if we'll kill ourselves - or become zombies - it's also as probable that many alien species existed for 50,000 years and then died off for a number of different reasons.

Technological advancement does not necessarily equate to immortality for a species.

The universe is billions of years old. Many aliens may have predated us and then died off long ago.
Old July 5 2013, 03:27 AM   #29
throwback
Captain

Some scientists have the idea that humans will last another 9,000 years, before we go extinct. (The Doomsday Argument)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:01 PM   #30
Pavonis
Commodore

Where does the 9,000 year value come from?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote