Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 19 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
chrinFinity
Commander

Why did Pocket reprint Nightshade in 2010?

Without context it just seems like a random thing to have done. New cover too, and missing the number. Anyone know why?
Old June 19 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Why did Pocket reprint Nightshade in 2010?

chrinFinity wrote: View Post
Without context it just seems like a random thing to have done. New cover too, and missing the number. Anyone know why?
I'm just guessing here, but I think it was because the author (Laurel K. Hamilton) had become wildly popular for her series of (non-Trek) vampire stores, and Pocket thought they might get some of her non-Trek fanbase to but a Trek novel with her name on the cover.
Old June 19 2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

^Exactly. Part of it was that the four Abramsverse novels had been cancelled and they needed something to fill the gap in the schedule with, but part of it was that Hamilton has become hugely, hugely popular since she wrote Nightshade and they wanted to draw in her fans.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Bingo. Laurel Hamilton is a major bestselling author these days. Small wonder Pocket would want to reprint any book by her.

If J. K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer had written a Trek novel in their youths, Pocket would reprint those so fast your head would spin!
Old June 19 2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

^I'm surprised we haven't seen a reprint of Corona, seeing as how Greg Bear has become pretty huge as an SF author since then. Although I guess that's not the same as being huge on the scale of a Hamilton or Meyer.

Old June 19 2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

We did the same thing at Tor: When Robert Jordan became the hugely-bestselling author of "The Wheel of Time," we reprinted his early CONAN novels, as well as a historical saga he had once written under another name . . . .
Old June 19 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm surprised we haven't seen a reprint of Corona, seeing as how Greg Bear has become pretty huge as an SF author since then. Although I guess that's not the same as being huge on the scale of a Hamilton or Meyer.
Speaking of Greg Bear, our state public access channel just aired an interview with him this past week.

You can watch it here: http://tvw.org/index.php?option=com_...tID=2013060044
Old June 19 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
chrinFinity
Commander

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of her aside from Nightshade, and I'm not interested in vampire fiction. However, my confusion is cleared.
Old June 19 2013, 11:26 PM   #9
tomswift2002
Captain

Wasn't "Corona" reprinted back around 2000 when Pocket was reissuing the John Ford novels under the duology title, and with a slightly modified cover?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:43 AM   #10
Avro Arrow
Captain

^Exactly. Part of it was that the four Abramsverse novels had been cancelled and they needed something to fill the gap in the schedule with, but part of it was that Hamilton has become hugely, hugely popular since she wrote Nightshade and they wanted to draw in her fans.
Just out of curiosity... did it work? I know S&S doesn't disclose sales figures, but does anyone have any idea if this paid off as they hoped?

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Wasn't "Corona" reprinted back around 2000 when Pocket was reissuing the John Ford novels under the duology title, and with a slightly modified cover?
Yep.

(Damn 'splodey universe... )
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity... did it work? I know S&S doesn't disclose sales figures, but does anyone have any idea if this paid off as they hoped?
I have no way of knowing.

Old June 20 2013, 04:22 PM   #12
E-DUB
Captain

I think it was Spider Robinson who once said; "Whenever you ask a question that starts with 'why', nine times out of ten the answer is 'money'".

In addition to the reasons stated above they probably figured that it would sell almost as well as, if indeed not as well as, any new release in the line without all the costs of a new work.

By the way, when I use that Robinson quote, I usually add my own corrolary which is that the remaining instances are split between inertia and sheer stupidity.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

E-DUB wrote: View Post
In addition to the reasons stated above they probably figured that it would sell almost as well as, if indeed not as well as, any new release in the line without all the costs of a new work.
I do have to wonder what Hamilton's fans thought of Nightshade, seeing as it is wholly lacking in the supernatural pr0n that is the latter half of the Anita Blake series.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Clearly, somebody needs to pay Hamilton enough to write the definitive Trek slash novel!

(Strange but true: I actually wrote the back cover copy for the first couple of "Anita Blake" novels, back when they were mass-market originals for Ace. It's a small world . . . .)

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 20 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Khan Harrison
Ensign

with the new movie out and Abrams going to Star Wars, any chance those novels will see the light of day?
Khan Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote