RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,776
Posts: 5,216,966
Members: 24,216
Currently online: 745
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 26 2013, 09:07 PM   #121
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

I hope for exploration of a strange new world personally. Combined with some Klingon problems. Modern day Organian story or similar? Iconian? Dysonsphere? Something along those lines.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 03:16 PM   #122
SiddFinch1
Commander
 
SiddFinch1's Avatar
 
Location: State of Mind
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Mirror universe! Have a good klingon from the mu seek out the E to combat the MU-E and protect the peaceful klingons from hostile terrans/vulcans
__________________
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans: John Lennon

Last edited by SiddFinch1; June 29 2013 at 10:33 PM.
SiddFinch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 07:08 PM   #123
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

What do you mean by explore?
__________________
The self proclaimed Angry Mexican man of TNZ. You're welcome.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 09:46 PM   #124
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Canada
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Star Trek: The next movie will probably be a reboot.
No.

The next movie will without any doubt be a continuation of the last two, produced by Bad Robot for Paramount.
Then the next movie after that will be a reboot.



I don't really care what the next movie will be. I said after leaving the theatre when I saw STD that I'm done with Star Trek. But I may be willing to give them one more chance as long as the next movie doesn't feature any of the following:

-A bad guy with a stupid revenge plan

-Earth in immediate danger

-An enormous, evil looking ship, captained by the bad guy. That dwarfs the Enterprise and has many times the fire power.

-A fist fight with the bad guy and the hero, usually with a ticking clock and a super weapon about to go off.

The last three Star Trek movies have had all of the above. And the last six have had two or more of those points. I don't know why these film makers think that Star Trek movies all have to be the same.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:37 PM   #125
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Because of the 79 original episodes, probably half of them meet at least one of your criteria.
__________________
I haven't much to say.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:11 AM   #126
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Canada
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Because of the 79 original episodes, probably half of them meet at least one of your criteria.

Um... what? Sure there were a few TOS episodes but not anywhere near half of them. And they weren't aired consecutively, but instead spread out over three seasons. Unlike the TNG and JJ films which is just the same shit over and over again. Except the JJ movies have a bigger budget and more lens flares than the TNG movies had.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:28 AM   #127
timelord1010
Captain
 
timelord1010's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

MrJ wrote: View Post
I don't really care what the next movie will be. I said after leaving the theatre when I saw STD that I'm done with Star Trek. But I may be willing to give them one more chance as long as the next movie doesn't feature any of the following:

-A bad guy with a stupid revenge plan

-Earth in immediate danger

-An enormous, evil looking ship, captained by the bad guy. That dwarfs the Enterprise and has many times the fire power.

-A fist fight with the bad guy and the hero, usually with a ticking clock and a super weapon about to go off.

The last three Star Trek movies have had all of the above. And the last six have had two or more of those points. I don't know why these film makers think that Star Trek movies all have to be the same.
I agree 100% with your comments and have said the same to other people.
Thru nearly all of TOS Earth was never in direct danger until the TOS movies started.
If JJ Abrams and company want to really do something different, do a TOS version of the book Vendetta and have the Doomsday Machine battle the Borg and have the Enterprise caught in the middle.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:46 AM   #128
Ln X
Fleet Captain
 
Ln X's Avatar
 
Location: The great gig in the sky
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

How about ninety percent drama and intrigue in the 3rd film and only ten percent action? That way we can have a fourth film which can have kick-ass action like STID.

Everyone is expecting an action film even more intense so if the 3rd film was more laid-back and had more drama, in essence be slower, everyone would love it: critics, trekkies and the general audience because it is something completely different to the last two JJ Trek films. Heck everyone will declare JJ Abrams a film god for delivering the best sci-fi drama film in years...

Heck, it would be the most intelligent Trek movie in years and the new characters would become stronger and everyone would love them more. Throw in some intrigue plot and make it an adventure one some far-off planet, and then they find something which is like a conspiracy or something against the Federation. So what starts off all pleasant and nice becomes -- at the end -- edge-of-your-seat stuff at the ending with the climax as this conspiracy is exposed. Then end on a note guaranteed to yield another film to wrap up everything in the 3rd one and that would work.

My wishlist:

Develop Spock/Uhura.

McCoy seriously needs some more decent screen time.

I wanna see Kirk tap Carol Marcus, 'cos Trek must be hip and cool and so it must have a gratuitous sex scene.

A planet to explore. With a big budget and can we finally have the mother of all away missions with awesome creatures, a cool alien race and some awesome landscapes?

That's about it really.
__________________
Star Trek: The Approaching Shadow...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:18 AM   #129
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Ln X wrote: View Post
How about ninety percent drama and intrigue in the 3rd film and only ten percent action? That way we can have a fourth film which can have kick-ass action like STID.

Everyone is expecting an action film even more intense so if the 3rd film was more laid-back and had more drama, in essence be slower, everyone would love it: critics, trekkies and the general audience because it is something completely different to the last two JJ Trek films. Heck everyone will declare JJ Abrams a film god for delivering the best sci-fi drama film in years...

Heck, it would be the most intelligent Trek movie in years and the new characters would become stronger and everyone would love them more. Throw in some intrigue plot and make it an adventure one some far-off planet, and then they find something which is like a conspiracy or something against the Federation. So what starts off all pleasant and nice becomes -- at the end -- edge-of-your-seat stuff at the ending with the climax as this conspiracy is exposed. Then end on a note guaranteed to yield another film to wrap up everything in the 3rd one and that would work.

My wishlist:

Develop Spock/Uhura.

McCoy seriously needs some more decent screen time.

I wanna see Kirk tap Carol Marcus, 'cos Trek must be hip and cool and so it must have a gratuitous sex scene.

A planet to explore. With a big budget and can we finally have the mother of all away missions with awesome creatures, a cool alien race and some awesome landscapes?

That's about it really.
I like your ideas. I'd be happy to see this for the next film. Not all Trek movies need to be revenge action movies
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:12 AM   #130
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Question: What happens when the crew "explores" said planet?
__________________
The self proclaimed Angry Mexican man of TNZ. You're welcome.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:16 AM   #131
BeatleJWOL
Lieutenant Commander
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
What happens when the crew "explores" said planet?
Diplomacy.

Lots and lots of diplomacy.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:40 AM   #132
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
What happens when the crew "explores" said planet?
Diplomacy.

Lots and lots of diplomacy.
So a political drama? Spies and sex and shit?
__________________
The self proclaimed Angry Mexican man of TNZ. You're welcome.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:54 AM   #133
BeatleJWOL
Lieutenant Commander
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Maybe they'll unfreeze what's-his-name and it'll be a feature-length kickoff for a Bourne Trek film series.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:07 PM   #134
Ln X
Fleet Captain
 
Ln X's Avatar
 
Location: The great gig in the sky
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Tell you what, maybe the third film should be the run-up to a Klingon/Federation war, and things are not going well for Starfleet. But a group inside of Starfleet and the Federation government feel that the Prime Directive is not enough so they introduce more draconian laws and measures for the Federation's safety and protection. It would be an opportunity for tension and suspense without a plot twist or action scene every two minutes, something which seems to be lost in many film directors these days.

Then the fourth film could be the war itself and how the Federation eventually prevails against the Klingons. The fourth film would have to be three hours long to do justice to some of the war's chronological events. Then comes the fifth film and it addresses the Federation and Starfleet's descent into tyranny as laws introduced in the war are not revoked. I can imagine the fifth film's climax is Kirk and a whole bunch of Starfleet captain's deciding to go rogue with their ship's and crew on the basis of moral principles and not wanting to be part of some kind of totalitarian state.

So we have a trilogy, lots of opportunity for drama and angst, action and a plot which will satisfy the casual audience, the Trekkies and those wanting something a wee bit thought-provoking. A trilogy of films all released in the space of two years and actually doing something really different with this universe.
__________________
Star Trek: The Approaching Shadow...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:08 PM   #135
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

As good as the first 2.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.