Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 30 2013, 07:23 PM   #136
Kolinahr
Lieutenant

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Ln X wrote: View Post
Tell you what, maybe the third film should be the run-up to a Klingon/Federation war, and things are not going well for Starfleet. But a group inside of Starfleet and the Federation government feel that the Prime Directive is not enough so they introduce more draconian laws and measures for the Federation's safety and protection. It would be an opportunity for tension and suspense without a plot twist or action scene every two minutes, something which seems to be lost in many film directors these days.

Then the fourth film could be the war itself and how the Federation eventually prevails against the Klingons. The fourth film would have to be three hours long to do justice to some of the war's chronological events. Then comes the fifth film and it addresses the Federation and Starfleet's descent into tyranny as laws introduced in the war are not revoked. I can imagine the fifth film's climax is Kirk and a whole bunch of Starfleet captain's deciding to go rogue with their ship's and crew on the basis of moral principles and not wanting to be part of some kind of totalitarian state.

So we have a trilogy, lots of opportunity for drama and angst, action and a plot which will satisfy the casual audience, the Trekkies and those wanting something a wee bit thought-provoking. A trilogy of films all released in the space of two years and actually doing something really different with this universe.
Why don't they let fans like you who have awesome ideas direct these things? These sound like great ideas. I'd back this 100%.

Kolinahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 07:28 PM   #137
Gsam
Lieutenant

I hope to see no Kirk/Marcus and absolutely NO David. JJ is not really good in the romance department or I maybe I should say with the total drama thing. He is about the action and I just feel that if anything one of the subtle differences in a more mature Kirk is that he learns he can look without touching. Also that he focuses on his command and the strengthening of the interactions of himself, Spock, and Bones with regards to command decisions.

They talk about how this movie was supposed to help bring this crew to the level of interactions as the more mature Tos's was. The next movie should show more command decision interactions and focus less on the personal stuff.

Granted I get the movie has to have some gratuitous sex so maybe have spock and uhura finally meld or something.
Gsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 09:12 PM   #138
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Star Trek: The next movie will probably be a reboot.
No.

The next movie will without any doubt be a continuation of the last two, produced by Bad Robot for Paramount.

Agree.

I think Klingon v. Federation.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:13 PM   #139
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
Maybe they'll unfreeze what's-his-name ...
Ralph Offenhouse?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:44 PM   #140
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Two years into their five-year mission and Kirk and Spock realise they can't keep kidding themselves, living miserable lives as it is what is expected of them. Spock dumps Uhura and Kirk washes his hands of Carol, before they elope in a shuttlecraft.

As they begin their new, happy lives together; the JJprise is placed under the command of the young (by NuTrek standards he'd be no older than 20) and brilliant Willard Decker.
Old June 30 2013, 11:00 PM   #141
BeatleJWOL
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Two years into their five-year mission and Kirk and Spock realise they can't keep kidding themselves, living miserable lives as it is what is expected of them. Spock dumps Uhura and Kirk washes his hands of Carol, before they elope in a shuttlecraft.
That would certainly rid the world of Kirk/Spock shippers...they'd all spontaneously combust!
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:05 PM   #142
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
That would certainly rid the world of Kirk/Spock shippers...they'd all spontaneously combust!
Also, the Fan Fiction forum is over here.
Old June 30 2013, 11:40 PM   #143
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Jim, it would be illogical to forfeit you.
Old July 3 2013, 05:58 PM   #144
starwolf76
Cadet

A variation on the Doomsday Machine would be cool for the third movie. The "machine" is an organic being inside its armor (idea stolen from a fanfic called "Dies Iries" I can't find). Some of the characters explore the being, "Fantastic Voyage" style. A question would be if the being should be killed, even though it has eaten populated worlds in the past and will do so in the future. The standard "Moby-Dick" elements are there, with the idea that Moby-Dick will EAT Nantucket if it isn't killed.

Character-wise, adding Joanna McCoy in some way will give McCoy more to do. I'd like to see M'Ress and Arex as part of the crew, even as bridge characters who don't say much.
starwolf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:29 PM   #145
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

starwolf76 wrote: View Post
A variation on the Doomsday Machine would be cool for the third movie. The "machine" is an organic being inside its armor (idea stolen from a fanfic called "Dies Iries" I can't find).
Try looking for "Dies Irae," maybe? That title refers to a hymn typically part of the Catholic requiem mass and translates as "day of wrath".

"Dies Iries," on the other hand sounds like it might be a what-if based on the premise that the Doomsday machine(s) not only looked like gigantic space spliffs but were created and sent out for the purpose of "blazing" a trail of good feelings throughout the galaxy.
Old July 4 2013, 12:48 AM   #146
serenitytrek1
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Jim, it would be illogical to forfeit you.

Did you ever watch that teen soap called the OC. Now I think of it kirk and spock are like Ryan Atwood and Seth cohen. they did dump their girlfriends for each other.

sure marissa and summer were always there for ryan and seth (summer and seth even got married at the end of the series) but Ryan and Seth were the most important people in each other lives. Seth even dumped his own parents for Ryan.

I do see such behaviour with kirk and spock. I just hope if they go done that part. kirk doesn't get carol pregnant only to came back after his road trip with spock asking for her hand in marriage.

oh who am I kidding...Trek is sci-fi.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:02 AM   #147
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Exactly.

In the real world, Kirk and Spock are totally bunking up.
Old July 4 2013, 01:12 AM   #148
serenitytrek1
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Exactly.

In the real world, Kirk and Spock are totally bunking up.

Am sure they are bunking up but not in a gay way, I just cant imagine kirk not sleeping with women. As for Spock, there is always live after uhura....Am sure Spock will run into leia and nurse chapel at some point in this timeline.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:52 AM   #149
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

greenlight wrote: View Post
I would've thought that the idea that internal consistency in fiction was enjoyable and satisfying (and that internal inconsistency in fiction was unsatisfying) to be pretty uncontroversial.
Of course internal consistency is important within an individual story. It's not as important to be consistent with the myriad other visions of Star Trek created by other people over the years, especially when those other visions already hopelessly contradict each other. I wouldn't expect a producer of a new Sherlock Holmes project to be forced somehow to include the continuity of the original Conan Doyle tails, the Basil Rathbone movies in which Holmes fights Nazis, and the animated series SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY.

Star Trek isn't real. It's more important to me to experience a good story than to maintain a delusion that Star Trek is real. That said, I didn't like the last two movies, but not because of I thought the films breached some imaginary continuity. I just didn't care for the stories. For the next movie, I hope we get a more imaginative story than we got the last two times.

And again, there is no smooth continuity running through all the series and movies. There are separate visions by separate individuals. Nick Meyer's Star Trek cannot be reconciled with Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. They're two totally different visions. It's interesting to compare and contrast the differing visions, just as it's interesting to compare and contrast, say, Homer's vision of the Greek gods with Hesiod's and with the fifth century BC Athenian playwrights. A very popular part of the Iliad was when Achilles receives his divine armor; no Athenian that I know of ever complained about this contradicting what some other writer established about Achilles being invincible but for his heel. (Goddamn lazy Homer! He obviously doesn't care about the source material!) Sometimes Aphrodite is Zeus's daughter, sometimes a titan, and sometimes she predates the gods.

Part of the fun of having a new producer is to see how Abram's vision is similar or completely different from what came before.
Old July 4 2013, 07:57 PM   #150
geneo
Lieutenant

As they begin their new, happy lives together; the JJprise is placed under the command of the young (by NuTrek standards he'd be no older than 20) and brilliant Willard Decker.
Oh dear, not the gay in trek thing.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote