Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 17 2013, 02:02 AM   #16
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Why is Janeway hated so much?

I thought Janeway was inconsistently written. Despite that, I liked how Mulgrew portrayed her and she was a great character for the most part.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:28 AM   #17
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Um, yeah. Janeway was awesome. Nobody ought to dispute that.

And if they do, they're stupid.
Old June 17 2013, 07:35 AM   #18
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

You would nt last a week on Voyager without going crazy.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:50 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Crazy with love..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:02 AM   #20
lurok
Commodore

They just hate her awesomeness.
Old June 17 2013, 09:32 AM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well the thread speaks for itself. Some don't like Janeway, and some do. Those who do, it's almost cult like with their devotion to her. As by the comments of some on this thread, there's clear implication by some that if everyone else doesn't like Janeway as much as they do there must be something wrong with them.

I don't hate Janeway, I do think she's a very inconsistent character to say the least however and she has made some very bad decisions. But heck every Trek captain has at some point. I've even said she was insane at times given her polarity at times and complete 180's in her values and decisions. Really the problem with Janeway wasn't that she's the first female captain, it's that they wanted to put her in a heroic position to so often "make the tough call" that the attempts to do so are often silly at best and thus make the character look silly. Heck, half the time you can tell it's Jeri Taylor story when it's about how awesome Janeway is.

While I find Mulgrew's voice to be grating at times, she really did a good job with the material... it just could've been better. It's hard to take a character seriously when she's just so random. One week she's saying she'll never give up her technology to the Kazon or ally with them and they must stick to the Federation's values. The next week she's allying with the Borg and helping them design a weapon of mass destruction to destroy an enemy at the cellular level. One week she's going on about how evolved humanity is and how they'd never kill a person who stole Neelix's lungs against his will to save his life. Later she kills a man against his will to save two people she likes more. And so forth.

So yes, being critical of at best questionable decisions they make doesn't equate to "hate," "jealous", "being stupid", "frightened by confident women," or anything else some people are saying to demean people who have the audacity to not share their opinion.

While I think Janeway may be insane at times, at least she's not incompetent. Archer is both.
Old June 17 2013, 11:58 AM   #22
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Archer is not interesting enough to be insane.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 02:34 PM   #23
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

For me, it's pretty much a case of character inconsistency.

All through the series, she has a borderline compulsion between
1) never compromising Federation ideals and upholding Starfleet protocols at all costs and
2) Get. This. Crew. Home!

Any given eps, you can almost flip a coin to see if Janeway is gonna go all out in an attempt to rescue her crew or if she's gonna be a stiff-ass about not compromising Federation standards.

Which Janeway are we gonna get this week?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Brit
Captain

A lot of the Janeway hate is rooted in misogyny too. As for being "cult like", well that phrase is in itself an attempt to discount the fact that there are real Janeway fans, in other words it's just another way to say Janeway fans are crazy. I have always said everyone has the right to dislike the character for what ever reason, what you don't have, is the right to degrade the fans that do like her.

To quote Jacqueline Lichtenberg (who was the major author of Star Trek Lives, and the Semi/Gen Books) -
If you poll an audience at a con panel about Star Trek: Voyager you get about half hating it and about half liking it or feeling it's "ok" but not the best of the bunch.

If you poll on Janeway as a character, the men reject her and the women like (if not adore) her.
http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.c...n-janeway.html

She should know what she is talking about since she has attended thousands of "Trek" and "Science Fiction" conventions. Usually as a speaker.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Lives!

(this last link is being funky, if you click on it you don't get the page, but if you copy and paste the whole thing including the ! mark you will get the page.)

Last edited by Brit; June 17 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:58 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

^But are some men rejecting Janeway because she is female or because the character was inconsitantly written? If the majority is in the later then there isn't a problem, they are rejecting an inconsistiantly written character . Do men have a problem with strong women, do they reject Kira from DSN?

The problem with the character of Janeway is not that she is a woman, but the fact that the character was inconsistantly written.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; June 17 2013 at 04:13 PM.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:02 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Another vote for the poor writing. Kate gave it her best, but much like Enterprise, whoever wrote the episode that week did a bad enough job, next week it would be worse.

Trek captains have always been a bit...strange and made questionable decisions, but the Janeway character was one of the most poorly written, as were several of the Voyager characters, very unfair on the people portraying them.

I have nothing against the cast, and everything against the writers. That's where the problem lies.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:15 PM   #27
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^But are some men rejecting Janeway because she is female or because the character was inconsitantly written? If the majority or in the later then there isn't a problem, they are rejecting an inconsistiantly written character . Do men have a problem with strong women, do they reject Kira from DSN?

The problem with the character of Janeway is not that she is a woman, but the fact that the character was inconsistantly written.

Right on. It's the way the character was written, not that she was a women or a man or Andorian or black or bald or American or anything else.

I don't think people hated Janeway because the character was a woman, it's the scripted characterization.

Similarly, I don't think people should adore Janeway because she WAS a woman. Poor character is a poor character, male or female isn't any excuse.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Sran
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
Archer is not interesting enough to be insane.
I recently started watching the episodes that have Shran in them, and I kept hoping that he would replace Archer as Enterprise captain. So much more dynamic, but that's Jeff Combs for you.

--Sran
Old June 17 2013, 06:19 PM   #29
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Why do fans find it so difficult to reconcile Janeway's so called "inconsistencies" as no more than an aspect of her overall personality? Heck, I know people who are just as, if not excessively more, "inconsistent" - that's just part of the human equation IMHO.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying this factor of her character makes her more human, more believable, than many of Trek's "mono-beat" personality types.
Old June 17 2013, 06:28 PM   #30
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

Right now, I'm watching a Voyager episode where Janeway wants to form an alliance with the Borg...

Bitch, Q gave you so many opportunities to get home and you've let "principles" get in the way. Now, she wants to get home so much that she wants to ally with the Borg and risk assimilation?

She's always talking about the Prime Directive, but she destroys the array that could have gotten the crew back to the Alpha Quadrant to prevent an imbalance of power in between the Kazons and the Ocampas.

It just doesn't make sense. They have her doing weird shit like this all the time.

Just call Q. Do him whatever favour he wants, and have him snap you back into the Alpha Quadrant. She got it much easier from Q than Picard did. I don't get why she isn't asking him for assistance.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote