Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate A Choice of Futures.
Outstanding 54 50.00%
Above Average 40 37.04%
Average 10 9.26%
Below Average 2 1.85%
Poor 2 1.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5 2014, 05:38 PM   #271
drc
Lieutenant Commander

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Sci wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I didn't realize the significance of the date. Anyway, the characters featured in those chapters had more important things to deal with at the time.

And the crew that we saw commemorating "First Contact Day" was the crew of Voyager, mainly through Neelix's initiative, which was the sort of thing you'd expect of a morale officer. It doesn't really reveal much about the scope of First Contact Day celebrations overall.
In fact, given as how Earth has, as of April 2163, only recently emerged from being a Vulcan vassal state, it makes a certain amount of sense to speculate that maybe First Contact isn't quite as revered a historical event for Humans of the 22nd Century as it is by the 23rd or 24th.

That was more or less my eventual conclusion. Picard and co. acted like I'd imagine a 21st century American would if he went back in time to July 3, 1776. But someone living closer to that time might recognize the end of the Revolutionary War as more important than the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

22nd century people may have more reverence for whatever event helped end the post-atomic horror.
drc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 06:10 PM   #272
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

drc wrote: View Post
I didn't realize the significance of the date. Anyway, the characters featured in those chapters had more important things to deal with at the time.

And the crew that we saw commemorating "First Contact Day" was the crew of Voyager, mainly through Neelix's initiative, which was the sort of thing you'd expect of a morale officer. It doesn't really reveal much about the scope of First Contact Day celebrations overall.
In fact, given as how Earth has, as of April 2163, only recently emerged from being a Vulcan vassal state, it makes a certain amount of sense to speculate that maybe First Contact isn't quite as revered a historical event for Humans of the 22nd Century as it is by the 23rd or 24th.

That was more or less my eventual conclusion. Picard and co. acted like I'd imagine a 21st century American would if he went back in time to July 3, 1776. But someone living closer to that time might recognize the end of the Revolutionary War as more important than the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

22nd century people may have more reverence for whatever event helped end the post-atomic horror.
Or maybe the signing of the Traite d'Unification.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:15 PM   #273
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I don't know about that. First Contact meant more to humanity than simply opening the stars to them; it meant an end to war, disease and famine on Earth, and brought humanity closer together than anything ever had before. If anything that event should be more significant to the humans of 2163 than those who came later; there still would have been people alive then who actually witnessed Earth in its post-World War III state and experienced firsthand the changes first contact with the Vulcans brought.

I imagine the anniversary of the founding of the Federation holds more weight with humans of the 23rd or 24th centuries than the anniversary of first contact.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote