Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate A Choice of Futures.
Outstanding 53 50.48%
Above Average 38 36.19%
Average 10 9.52%
Below Average 2 1.90%
Poor 2 1.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 3 2013, 03:33 PM   #256
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

^
I was putting in a word on the conversation between Christopher and Edit_XYZ.
Old September 3 2013, 09:19 PM   #257
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

rahullak wrote: View Post
^
I was putting in a word on the conversation between Christopher and Edit_XYZ.
Oh, okay. I was just having a hard time trying to figure out if your post related to Kirk's grand-parents in some way or was simply a non-sequitur that had wandering in here by accident. Mystery solved, moving on...
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:13 AM   #258
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

I wasn't quite sure about how this story would be set up going in. I guess a part of me was expecting more of it to be set in the corridors of power on Earth and the other founding planets, akin to what I've heard about Articles of the Federation. (I haven't read that volume for myself, so apologies if I've mis-categorized it.) But I suppose a book which, in this case, is more explicitly branded as tied to a given TV series would retain more of a focus on the ongoing concerns of the surviving on-screen characters, be they on a ship or at the negotiating table.

I guess the closest comparison I can make in my own mind is with Harbinger, in how this book aims to start a new line of stories with a common theme. (It's not a wholly fair comparison, since Vanguard was a new setting with a mostly-new cast of predominantly non-canon characters; but it's the closest my limited exposure to recent Franchise Trek novels will allow.)

But even with that distinction in mind, I'm not sure if A Choice of Futures works for me in quite the same way that Harbinger did, in terms of laying the groundwork for an ongoing fiction line I can invest myself in.

That's not to denigrate any of the work that went into this book. Far from it. The attention to detail put into world-building is commendable, and makes me think of how easy it was to slip into the vision of a later era's Federation in the author's The Buried Age (which is still one of my favourite Trek novels). And I'm not saying that I hate this book either, or even that I don't like it; just that it didn't quite jump off the page for me in quite the same way as Harbinger or TBA.

Perhaps in hindsight, once Tower of Babel is out (which, hopefully, will be followed by more books in this series), my impression of ACoF will change in light of the broader story arc this volume helps set the stage for.

----------------------
The Star Fleet Universe: ST: TOS' other legacy.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 04:31 AM   #259
Daddy Todd
Captain

Finally finished today. A very enjoyable read. I gave it "above average" because, as my boss says when annual reviews come around, NOBODY gets an "outstanding".

;-)
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 08:41 PM   #260
Loganmarcum
Cadet

I'm a bit later than everyone else in getting around to reading this one, but I have to say that I thought this was the best Trek I've read in years. I also have to admit that I never liked the character of Reed in the TV series, but his speech to the crew...well, let's just say it literally made me get all teary-eyed. I'm not sure a Trek novel ever had that effect on me to this point. I understand Malcolm a lot more now.

All in all, a fantastic book and I can't wait for the next one! Thanks, Christopher!
Loganmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 09:26 PM   #261
Christopher
Writer

Thank you!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 12:17 AM   #262
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I finished this one the other day. I thought it was a well-written story and I liked where Christopher took the Enterprise characters. I thought there were too many story lines at first, however it came together by the end.

I enjoyed the return of the "Mutes". "Silent Enemy" was one of favorite ENT episodes and while I didn't care for "Bound" I didn't mind the use of the three Orion sisters and even throwing in the Orion from TAS. I did like Garos and hopefully he'll return in future books.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:14 AM   #263
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm also late to this party - and have barely started the book - but have to say, Christopher, that you've once again taken a swing for the fences with a Trek property you've never written for previously and, so far at least, have hit a home run, so kudos to you for that.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 03:04 AM   #264
Enterprise1701
Lieutenant Commander

I think Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures is an excellent novel. With regard to the feeling that it has too many storylines, is it too much to hope that the novel could be somehow expanded like David Mack's The Sorrows of Empire was?
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 03:33 AM   #265
Christopher
Writer

^The Sorrows of Empire was a special case. There was a need to fill the schedule with a novel-length project and not a lot of time to do it in, so expanding a novel that was half-written already was a handy way to meet the goal.

Besides, I'm too busy moving the RotF narrative forward to go back and add more to books I've already written.

Old March 27 2014, 06:12 PM   #266
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I just got my copy today. I expect to start it this weekend(and maybe finish it then).
Christopher do you have a successor to this novel in the works?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 06:32 PM   #267
DarkHorizon
Captain

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I just got my copy today. I expect to start it this weekend(and maybe finish it then).
Christopher do you have a successor to this novel in the works?
It came out two days ago.
Old April 4 2014, 01:13 PM   #268
drc
Lieutenant Commander

Just started the second book, which reminded me of a question about this book.

Chapters 12 and 13 take place on the centennial of first contact day and none of the characters acknowledge the anniversary at all. I expected at least an internal monologue recognizing the date, if not a huge party.

At first I thought it was a missed opportunity, but it seems likely that the aftermath of World War III and issues with the Vulcans means 22nd century humans are somewhat more jaded about that date than the crew of the Enterprise-E.
drc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 03:16 PM   #269
Christopher
Writer

I didn't realize the significance of the date. Anyway, the characters featured in those chapters had more important things to deal with at the time.

And the crew that we saw commemorating "First Contact Day" was the crew of Voyager, mainly through Neelix's initiative, which was the sort of thing you'd expect of a morale officer. It doesn't really reveal much about the scope of First Contact Day celebrations overall.

Old April 5 2014, 06:24 AM   #270
Sci
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I didn't realize the significance of the date. Anyway, the characters featured in those chapters had more important things to deal with at the time.

And the crew that we saw commemorating "First Contact Day" was the crew of Voyager, mainly through Neelix's initiative, which was the sort of thing you'd expect of a morale officer. It doesn't really reveal much about the scope of First Contact Day celebrations overall.
In fact, given as how Earth has, as of April 2163, only recently emerged from being a Vulcan vassal state, it makes a certain amount of sense to speculate that maybe First Contact isn't quite as revered a historical event for Humans of the 22nd Century as it is by the 23rd or 24th.