Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate A Choice of Futures.
Outstanding 54 50.47%
Above Average 39 36.45%
Average 10 9.35%
Below Average 2 1.87%
Poor 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14 2013, 11:43 PM   #166
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile
Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Ordered mine from Amazon UK, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old July 15 2013, 07:52 PM   #167
Paper Moon
Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm afraid I'm not in the loop about that end of the process.
I'm not crazy though or got a bad one, right? It DOES feel different than the other Trek books lately?

Guess when the next book shows up, I can compare to see if it was a one-off or something they changed up in general.

Read a little out of order, and picked up Shocks of Adversity after this book, and felt 'right', so we'll see.
You're not crazy, I noticed the same thing.
Yeah, mine's the same. Another recent TrekLit book was similar. Ironically, it may have been Forgotten History, though I'm not sure about that.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 08:22 PM   #168
Relayer1
Commodore

Mine just arrived.

Yes, it's a little different in 'texture'. Neither the cover nor pages seem quite as stiff as recent novels, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Old July 15 2013, 10:10 PM   #169
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

I'm not crazy though or got a bad one, right? It DOES feel different than the other Trek books lately?

Guess when the next book shows up, I can compare to see if it was a one-off or something they changed up in general.

Read a little out of order, and picked up Shocks of Adversity after this book, and felt 'right', so we'll see.
You're not crazy, I noticed the same thing.
Yeah, mine's the same. Another recent TrekLit book was similar. Ironically, it may have been Forgotten History, though I'm not sure about that.
I just checked Forgotten History and it's as floppy as A Choice of Futures . Watching the Clock was floppy but not like these two.
Old July 16 2013, 01:32 AM   #170
Scout101
Admiral

Maybe they've got a personal grudge against Christopher?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 10:24 AM   #171
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Just finished the book this morning. I thought it was great. I know ENT is not many peoples favorite show, but Chris did a great job writing for characters established by the ENT actors I enjoyed the espionage/political conundrums the most. The Orion's were clever antagonists. Looking forward to this series continuation.
Old July 16 2013, 01:56 PM   #172
Scout101
Admiral

While I liked the flow of the story, and that the characters spread out believably, was one bit that felt a bit off to me: Trip.

Just feels like his character is gone, not sure I get the rationale for it. Obvious retcon for bad TV decision, but you can ALMOST explain away the decision to fake his death, go undercover, and be the engineering expertise that the spy mission required. Had the unique background, etc. From there, his thinking gets a lot fuzzier. Obviously got a 'wife' back home, friends and family, and the reason for faking his death is past. Having a harder and harder time seeing why he's still there.

Is the only sticking point that Riker thought he died for good, so they don't want to bring him back and contradict that? Seems like there's other ways to deal with this, and it's kind of a slow character death here. He now feels 'off' (intentionally), and even the other characters don't like him, aside from when he has mind sex with T'Pol.

I dunno, that one the only one where I don't really care for the direction a character is going, and didn't really like the scenes where he showed up. Why bother to bring him back (going against canon, albeit shitty canon that was easy to rewrite) if it's just going to be a combo of disuse and then mangled personality when they DO use him? Just introduce a new Section 31 operative that has a mixed friend/foe relationship with the crew, seems kinda on the same team as our crew, that's what Trip is being used for.

Side note: were there typos in my book, or were they intentional? Section 31 came up as Section 3I for me, most if not all of the time. Dunno if that was on purpose, and it gets mangled with use over time, or someone fat-fingered it in editing. Doesn't SEEM like it would make sense to be a name drift over time, as the whole point was that it refers to phrasing in the original Charter, so wouldn't make sense for the location of that phrase to change. It was either always Section 3I, or Section 31. And we've heard 31 onscreen...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old July 16 2013, 02:39 PM   #173
Christopher
Writer

^Sorry Trip's current direction isn't working for you. That decision was out of my hands, though, since previous novels have already established the future path of his life.

Apparently the book uses a font that renders the numeral 1 in a way that resembles a capital I. I noticed something like that in the PDF, but it seemed to go away when I enlarged the text enough, so I thought it was a display glitch. I guess it turned out a little differently when actually printed.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:24 PM   #174
Scout101
Admiral

Heh, always fun actually discussing these things with the author!

Not like I'm blaming you for ruining the character or anything, was just the one bit of the ensemble that really felt out of place, and didn't make a ton of sense to me in-universe either. Think you did a decent job with the spot Trip's character is stuck in, just don't much care for it personally. Reason for him doing it is over, doesn't fit his personality, etc. Reed had some of the security/cloak and dagger type personality traits, Trip just seemed too straight-forward and easy going to make this a permanent career choice.

Maybe I'm glossing over something, but which books called out where his character has to end up? Do we know anything other than "Trip" stays dead as far as history is concerned?

Yeah, kept the capital I in the printed form, or at least how it appeared to me. Wanted to make sure that was a typo/font issue, and not an intentional decision that I was missing the reasoning on. Thanks!
Old July 16 2013, 04:11 PM   #175
Christopher
Writer

Think you did a decent job with the spot Trip's character is stuck in, just don't much care for it personally. Reason for him doing it is over...
Which is why I tried to find a new justification for why he feels he can't go back to his old life.

, doesn't fit his personality, etc. Reed had some of the security/cloak and dagger type personality traits, Trip just seemed too straight-forward and easy going to make this a permanent career choice.
But that's what's interesting about it. Often the most intriguing place to put a character is the last place he'd ever want to be.

Maybe I'm glossing over something, but which books called out where his character has to end up? Do we know anything other than "Trip" stays dead as far as history is concerned?
The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm has an epilogue revealing where Trip is in 2186.

Old July 16 2013, 04:17 PM   #176
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

The pro- and epilogue of Last Full Measure establish that he lives to be at least 122 years old and that he never returns to his original life. It's also indicated that he changed personas a lot during that time (there are references to many re-constructional face surgeries). There is nothing that would set in stone his continuous work for Section 31, though.

After rereading those two chapters from LFM he seems far to "goody-two shoes" there to have been serving Section 31 for any length of time. Actually it's already kind of hard to reconcile RotF Tucker with LFM Tucker for me IMO.

ETA: Totally forgot about The Romulan War
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:33 PM   #177
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense bringing Trip back if he cannot be an active member of the case somewhere. Granted it retros the terrible decision that the powers that be made but that's all. Really Reed going Section 31 given that the character already had a history with them in the show would make more sense than trip
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:37 PM   #178
Christopher
Writer

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
Really Reed going Section 31 given that the character already had a history with them in the show would make more sense than trip
I think it would just be more predictable. Sometimes life takes turns that don't make sense, that put people in places they don't naturally belong.

Old July 17 2013, 08:43 PM   #179
Tino
Captain

Hi Christopher,

thank you for another awesome book. I really like the way you write interesting stories with scientific stuff. Just love your books.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:08 AM   #180
MNM
Captain

I finished the book last night. Overall I enjoyed it, though I didnt think it was great.

I like the galactic politics and stuff, so I definityey enjoyed seeing that aspect. Seeing Reed grow as a captain was good too.

I didnt care for all the recalls to previous Enterprise epsiodes, I can understand why they were there maybe, but I personally coudl have done without most.

I am sure the small universe thing can be justified in universe, and has been, but it was at a level I didnt care for, a Williams, a Paris, a Kirk, a Dax, an alien character that was in like one episode of the series, a good chunk of enterprises crew now being on the Endeavour, when Reed gets his own ship, who does he appoint as first office, well another enterprise crew memeber (one whom I have never seen, in the series or books that followed, deisplay anything that shows he really deserves such a position).

That said, the end of the book said it would continue, so I'll probably buy the next book and see what its like.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote