Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 10 2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980
Anyone Else Feel Bad for Remmick?

First, we're made to hate this guy and then...well...

Turns out to be a good guy in the end... and then he gets blown up a few episodes later!

I mean, I even got a little misty-eyed when he talked about his evaluation of the Enterprise crew.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:31 AM   #2
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Anyone Else Feel Bad for Remmick?

I feel bad about his ultimate fate, but don't feel particularly bad based on his first appearance.

Hostile interrogations probably weren't the most effective way to find a conspiracy on the Enterprise if there was one. Despite the part at the end, he wouldn't have behaved that way if he didn't get a kick out of it.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Or unless he was ordered to. I'm pretty sure that was part of the Admiral's directive based on the conversation he had with Picard afterward.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Blackhorse47
Ensign

I've never understood whether we're supposed to believe he's been compromised the first time we meet him. If he has, the first story is an odd one indeed and if he hasn't, the backstory of how the insecty things made him the alien leader is an odd one too.
Blackhorse47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

Blackhorse47 wrote: View Post
I've never understood whether we're supposed to believe he's been compromised the first time we meet him. If he has, the first story is an odd one indeed and if he hasn't, the backstory of how the insecty things made him the alien leader is an odd one too.
He's not supposed to be compromised the first time, because that story had nothing to do with the insecty things. It was supposed to be about a serious rebellion in Starfleet, without alien interference. The bug angle came later when Roddenberry didn't like the idea of renegade Starfleet officers. Which is too bad, because that would have been a much better story.
Old June 10 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Blackhorse47 wrote: View Post
He's not supposed to be compromised the first time, because that story had nothing to do with the insecty things. It was supposed to be about a serious rebellion in Starfleet, without alien interference. The bug angle came later when Roddenberry didn't like the idea of renegade Starfleet officers. Which is too bad, because that would have been a much better story.
And then when the bugs got too insecty and weird, they were replaced with the Borg.
Kevman7987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Use of Time
Commodore

Nah, his demeanor in the first episode would have given me some red flags about this guy. If he talked to people who outranked him the way we saw in the episode, just imagine how he would treat those he would be placed in charge of. Probably why Picard just stared at him when he made that request to join the Enterprise.
Old June 10 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Sran
Fleet Captain

I suspect that episodes like "The Pegasus" and the entire Section 31 storyline would never have come to fruition had Roddenberry lived long enough to see them. The same is probably true of the Maquis. Each these concepts flew in the face of Roddenberry's Federation utopia.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Use of Time
Commodore

And that is probably a good thing.
Old June 10 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Dukhat
Commodore

Sran wrote: View Post
I suspect that episodes like "The Pegasus" and the entire Section 31 storyline would never have come to fruition had Roddenberry lived long enough to see them. The same is probably true of the Maquis. Each these concepts flew in the face of Roddenberry's Federation utopia.

--Sran
Even if Roddenberry were still alive today, it wouldn't have mattered. He'd been effectively blackballed since the third season of TNG.
Old June 10 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Crazyewok
Commander

Sran wrote: View Post

--Sran
And thats why by the time of TNG he was Hack who didnt know a good story if it came up and bit him in the bum.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Mojochi
Commodore

I do think it's sad. I can see how his initial meeting could have been a hard job to do if he was directed to conduct things as they were conducted, and it's undoubtedly rough how it all ended for him

Certainly there are jobs as an officer that require handling people in ways which don't endear them to you, despite what kind of person you really are at heart. The whole Jellico thing I've been babbling about in the other thread comes to mind too

I kind of do feel the same way about Remmick. He was just doing his job, carrying out his ugly, uncompromising orders. Not every investigator who works at Internals Affairs is a dick, but they all get to wear a dick's uniform
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:37 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Remmick may have been a jerk or he may have just been following orders. Either way, getting eaten from the inside out by a giant alien slug thing is a sad fate. Not even counting the head blowing up thing, he had to be dead as a person already.
Old June 10 2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Sran
Fleet Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
And that is probably a good thing.
I don't disagree. The quality of The Next Generation improved significantly once he was pushed into a background role.

Even if Roddenberry were still alive today, it wouldn't have mattered. He'd been effectively blackballed since the third season of TNG.
Fortunately for us. The Next Generation's first two seasons were mediocre compared to what the series would later become as Gene was pushed aside.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
And thats why by the time of TNG he was Hack who didnt know a good story if it came up and bit him in the bum.
To be fair, he was not in good health by the time TNG reached its third year. It's fortunate for everyone that he had no creative control of the series beyond season two.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Timo
Admiral

I kind of do feel the same way about Remmick. He was just doing his job, carrying out his ugly, uncompromising orders. Not every investigator who works at Internals Affairs is a dick, but they all get to wear a dick's uniform
The cute and somewhat Roddenberrian thing about "Coming of Age" is that when Remmick drops the Internal Affairs act and says that he'd consider it a privilege to serve on the Enterprise, it very much looks as if our heroes would actually welcome him there. Sure, Picard at first gives the stereotypical icy silence combined with The Look (TM), but he gets over it, and in the very next sentence says he's not holding the events against Remmick.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote